Gummersbach
NRW
flag msg tools
Fan since 1988
badge
I AM WATCHING U
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
I am going to visit new York soon and would love to visit a few boardgame stores. So I am asking for people knowing the area or living there which store/stores I should visit. Any hints are welcome. I am not into tabletop like warhammer and no role playing games (pen & paper) . So the shop should have some other stuff than that. =)
Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
board game store in NYC

Enjoy your stay!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Compleat Strategist. The widest selection, by far. It's amazing just to see all the games they can shove in their small store. It's also by the Empire State Building, so you can do touristy stuff while there.

20-Sided Store in Brooklyn. Very, very nice and genuinely trying-to-be-helpful guys who opened a shop with open gaming.

The Uncommons by NYU. Decent selection and great place to play. They jack up prices a bit, but the real estate in their area is very expensive, so you can forgive a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
They jack up prices a bit, but the real estate in their area is very expensive, so you can forgive a bit.

Even more than MSRP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seconding a previous suggestion:

Complete Strategist is a must. The majority of games are MSRP but just the sheer amount of titles and selection make it a must visit if you are into games. I spent hours there over the course of two days. Didn't want to leave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Russell
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
It's actually tough for board game stores in the city to deal with all the real estate problems, so there aren't as many as you would think.

Compleat Strategist is fantastic, and is also really the only place in Manhattan.

If you are looking to play, there is a good meetup of people who play on Mondays at Amity Hall (starting around 6-6:30) and at the Peculiar Pub on Wednesdays (similar time).

Otherwise, the Uncommons is a gaming cafe where you can often find a game. As others said, the prices are high to buy, but it is only five dollars to play nearly anything in their collection.

Have fun!
John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The majority of FLGS I've been to sell at MSRP on most days of the week, Compleat Strategist included.

Though, unlike some others, I've never walked into Compleat Strategist to find a sign advertising a one-day/temporary etc sale of 15% or something like that.

I asked them once if they ever had any sales and they looked at me funny However, I should also note, its rare that they don't have, in stock, the game/item you want to buy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
Idaho11 wrote:
They jack up prices a bit, but the real estate in their area is very expensive, so you can forgive a bit.

Even more than MSRP?

I have seen items above MSRP there before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Nelson
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was at Complete Strategist they did have a "Clearance" shelf where games were heavily discounted. Sadly there weren't any ones that I wanted. Yet, even at regular MSRP I found a couple games for purchase. Some games don't get very discounted at Amazon and if you are looking for those it is nice to purchase them at a brick and mortar store to support them. Also, there just isn't any feeling quite like holding the game in your hands and purchasing it right there and then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will never understand why people like Complete Strategist in NY so much. I went there once, and the place was dark and dingy with stuff shoved everywhere, and the staff was very unfriendly. They might have a good selection, but it was by far the worst gaming store I have ever been to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Frieg
Germany
Gummersbach
NRW
flag msg tools
Fan since 1988
badge
I AM WATCHING U
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you all for the comments! My GF is not so much into gaming so it is hard to just visit a gaming group with her

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark camp
United States
Lesser Binghamton Area
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As everyone else has said, the Strategist is the best. They always have some half price stuff in the back. The staff have always been awesome with me. My wife tends to hang near the register while I shop, and when they hear I live out of town, they ship my purchases home for free. Once, my games got home before I did and I was only in the City for 2 days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Maia
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
I will never understand why people like Complete Strategist in NY so much. I went there once, and the place was dark and dingy with stuff shoved everywhere, and the staff was very unfriendly. They might have a good selection, but it was by far the worst gaming store I have ever been to.

That has been my experience every time I've visited NY as well. I even got quite harshly barred from entering the store once, even though it was during their regular hours, because they were receiving a UPS shipment. Nothing wrong with being asked to wait or return later, but the dude was extremely and unnecessarily rude. 20-Sided Store on the other hand really does put the F on FLGS, even if their selection is smaller, they'd take my business any day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Rivera
msg tools
Oh The Compleat Strategist. Very good selection on items, but their customer service is mixed, depending on your question.

What I have noticed about them is that they are really knowledge about the game mechanics of the games they sell. They can tell you things about some of the little details you may not be aware of, that's just like "wow, you play alot of games".

Ask them where is "so-and-so" item, and instead of walking you over to an item, it's more of a point of the finger, and go that way. The last time I was there, I got that experience.

Fortunately, I don't live near there anymore, and can go to CoolStuff Inc instead in Orlando. So far, I have found the experience to be much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.