Subject: Common supply setup when combining sets. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

It seems there are 3 different/new common cards in the Rising Sun set (Office Building, Distribution Center, & Stadium). Do we now start with 11 common cards, only use the new set or randomly choose the common cards. I see no mention of this in the rules nor in the forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
youtube.com/neatozen
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
turtleback wrote:

It seems there are 3 different/new common cards in the Rising Sun set (Office Building, Distribution Center, & Stadium). Do we now start with 11 common cards, only use the new set or randomly choose the common cards. I see no mention of this in the rules nor in the forum.

It's on page 5 of the rules where they note that you can combine the sets together by mixing the randomizers from both. It also notes that there are randomizers for the VP cards from the first game.

Since there are only 3 VPtype cards in teh common supply during setup, it should show that you should shuffle the VP randomizers and pick the 3 you will use for your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Burger
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this is what we did last night. Works!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Johnson
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
BG Apps and Vids
mbmbmbmbmb
It should be stated clearly in the rules but it isn’t.

I love the expansion, but there are some problems with it, and that is one.

We don’t play with the distribution centre at all. It seems overpriced for the points you get. You’d have to make a special effort to connect to enough cities to make it worthwhile. We just took that randomiser out of our game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I suppose it depends on the map but the Distribution center could be worth 6-7 points at the game end. Cities aren't that hard to build through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Collins
United Kingdom
SIDMOUTH
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We randomise the VP cards (just two-player games so far) and it works well.

The Distribution Centre is sometimes worth the money, it all depends on what other randomised cards turn up in the same game.

In my experience, there will always be a few cards that are never going to be bought by a rational player in the current set up: they are not complimented by other cards, other cards are much more desirable, there is another card with a similar action but more affordable, etc.

Consider a set up where buying VP card were particularly desirable in general and, say, the Apartment VP card are most desirable: once all the Apartments have been bought then the Distribution Centres become the next most desirable cards to buy, therefore are worth having in the set up but not necessarily for their 'special' accumulator effect. I can certainly imagine this scenario (and, though I couldn't swear to it, think it has actually happened in one of our games).

The only card we leave out of the randomiser deck is the Tourist Train and for reasons stated in other threads (in short, because they are an automatic early buy up in any set up and therefore reduces the fun, IMO).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Neher
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of the Distribution Center, can the remote locations be included as part of a network of cities?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Burger
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djnesq wrote:
Speaking of the Distribution Center, can the remote locations be included as part of a network of cities?

No, a city and a remote location are categorically different. The DistCenter would say Remote Locations if that were allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Johnson
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
BG Apps and Vids
mbmbmbmbmb
RiffRaff14 wrote:
I suppose it depends on the map but the Distribution center could be worth 6-7 points at the game end. Cities aren't that hard to build through.

You only have 20 cubes (less on the 2 player maps).

Assuming you could get all 20 on cities (which isn’t possible), that would be 5 points. Since that is not possible, I guess 4 points would be a theoretical maximum. It can be done on the Nagoya board, but I’m not currently in a position to see if even that is possible on any others.

Looking back over photos of previous games, it seems like 8 cities is typical which makes them worth 2 points for a cost of 1 more than the original 2 point victory card. If you really wanted to make an effort I could see getting 12 cities, for that third point. You’d really have to work at it.

On balance, I just don’t see the point and I think we have enough cards now that we can edit out the ones we don’t like. In the original game we took out the Command Central card which is convoluted and pointless, in our joint and several opinion.

djnesq wrote:

I really like that as an idea as a house rule and that may see the Distribution Center make a come-back to our table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.