Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused about how many consumables you can have equipped on a character. All consumable says "Artifact-Consumable", so they're both artifacts and consumable. I saw the following answer in another thread, but it's not clear enough:

Quote:

Quote:
- Rules say you can hold only one artifact. Rules says consumable items can be held anywhere. It seems that there are many "Artifact" Consumables (perhaps all?) - what is the rule?

You can have only one artifact equipped, but the consumable items, all of them, have special rule. They may be equipped in any of the four slots there are, representing strapping them to a belt, holding in hand and so on.

So can you have more than one "Artifact-Consumable" on a hero? Can you have a regular (non-consumable) Artifact equipped as well as an Artifact-Consumable?
If consumables don't follow artifact rules (i.e. you can equip them anywhere and can have them in addition to a regular artifact), then why label them artifacts at all?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mishenka wrote:
Can you have a regular (non-consumable) Artifact equipped as well as an Artifact-Consumable?

No, that actually goes into the Artifact slot.
Mishenka wrote:
If consumables don't follow artifact rules (i.e. you can equip them anywhere and can have them in addition to a regular artifact), then why label them artifacts at all?

Very good question! I asked myself the same thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Martin
United States
Lacey
WA
flag msg tools
Check out my Hollenguard book series on Amazon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the intention of the rule in the rulebook as written is simply to point out that your character has one artifact slot, one armor slot, and two hand slots for weapons. Therefore, items with just the 'Artifact' keyword can only be equipped to the Artifact slot. Consumables break this rule and can be equipped anywhere. So you could have the Book of Cheating in the Artifact slot as well as a potion of healing in your left hand, and even a stoneskin potion in your right hand.

The only reason I can think of that consumables have the Artifact trait is so that they will possibly be selected when filling inventory on an area card that states "X Common Artifacts."

So rather than it having been written like this:

Quote:
Heroes may equip one armor, one artifact, and up to two 1-hand weapons or one 2-handed weapon. 2-handed weapons occupy both weapon slots. Consumable items may be equipped in any of the 4 item slots.

It would have been better written like this:

Quote:
Heroes may equip one armor to their armor slot, one artifact to their artifact slot, and up to two 1-hand weapons or one 2-handed weapon. 2-handed weapons occupy both hand slots. Consumable items may be equipped in any of the 4 item slots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for the quick answers. I have another question.
When a location card has a global effect (ex Abandoned Mine which says that as long as this location is not fully explored hero stake -1 HP before next battle), does that effect go away when the card is discarded (due to traveling forward) or does it stay for the whole game.
My guess would be the latter, since otherwise there's no incentive to actually complete the action to deactivate the global, just move forward enough and it's gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mishenka wrote:
When a location card has a global effect (ex Abandoned Mine which says that as long as this location is not fully explored hero stake -1 HP before next battle), does that effect go away when the card is discarded (due to traveling forward) or does it stay for the whole game.
My guess would be the latter, since otherwise there's no incentive to actually complete the action to deactivate the global, just move forward enough and it's gone.

In the rulebook on p. 10 the second thing to do after venturing forth is to "Discard the leftmost area card along with all attached cards". The Abandoned Mine is shown as an example with one secret marker left on it. The effects only come into play if they are affecting unexplored locations currently in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Martin
United States
Lacey
WA
flag msg tools
Check out my Hollenguard book series on Amazon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeloW06 wrote:
Mishenka wrote:

In the rulebook on p. 10 the second thing to do after venturing forth is to "Discard the leftmost area card along with all attached cards". The Abandoned Mine is shown as an example with one secret marker left on it. The effects only come into play if they are affecting unexplored locations currently in play.

Agreed. If you venture forth and the Abandoned Mine is discarded, the effect for it being unexplored no longer affects play. Note that the Abandoned Mine has plenty of incentive to explore it (+2 silver and events every time you explore, which are usually good), and there will be situations where you do not want to venture forth before the next encounter (or simply can't if the mine is next to Doomrock).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Niewiadomski
Poland
Lodz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mishenka wrote:
So can you have more than one "Artifact-Consumable" on a hero? Can you have a regular (non-consumable) Artifact equipped as well as an Artifact-Consumable?

You can have as many consumables, as you have equipment slots on your character.

You may equip artifact if there is no other item equipped in the artifact slot. Remember that each item takes up a specific slot, unless it's taken, it may be used to equip items.

Mishenka wrote:

Mage's Tower sells artifacts, it may be a consumable as well as a non-consumable artifact. Who knows, maybe one day we will see a consumable weapon, like a rod of lightnings?

Mishenka wrote:
I have another question.

If the area card is not in play (one of the three face up cards that heroes may travel to), global effect is not applied. You don't always can or want to venture forth in order to run away from the card, Stephen Martin gave a good example with Doomrock being revealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for the answers. Everything makes sense. Now on to defeat the Zombies...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.