Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a couple of two-player games, my wife and I aren't sure we want to play again. We feel that when your turn comes, there's always a move that's obviously better than the others, essentially removing all tension from the game.

Are we alone here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played it as a 2-player so can't comment on this set-up specifically. I played several times as a 3-player, 4-player and 5-player and it has always been great and tense.

I thought that the moves aren't always that obvious and the timing is imperative. The way you buy might determine what you will be able to re-draw from the discard pile for example, or other the next player might be able to redraw...

There's more to this game than meets the eye. It's not a deep and complex game, but for what it is, there's quite a lot to it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Koester
United States
Cornelius
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have played a few times as a two player game and have often found situations where there could be multiple plays.

I have found in this type of game that the obvious move is not necessarily the best one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your replies, guys.

You've convinced us to try a few more games.

(For the record, we're very experienced gamers -- we rarely play "filler" games like this, in fact. So it may be a case of wrong expectations.)

I'll come back and let you know after a few more games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to hear about your revised experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Thorp
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a few two player games now, and it seems to work OK for me. I think initially you think a little bit further ahead, because you only have to account for a single players actions between your turns. However, as the game progresses, you become more aware of the choice between taking actions that benefit you and taking actions that hinder your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedrator wrote:
Looking forward to hear about your revised experience.

I played a handful more games, with three players, and we all found it very dull. Sorry. I traded it away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
(For the record, we're very experienced gamers -- we rarely play "filler" games like this, in fact. [snip])
I find it interesting that you link these two statements. I consider myself (and most of my group) to be very experienced gamers, we commonly play shorter games when we don't have the time for a long game, while we're waiting for everyone to arrive, or to bridge the time between longer games for a break/to allow multiple games to finish. ("Fillers" is the shorthand notation for this that does a disservice to the game IMO.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
weishaupt wrote:
(For the record, we're very experienced gamers -- we rarely play "filler" games like this, in fact. [snip])
I find it interesting that you link these two statements. I consider myself (and most of my group) to be very experienced gamers, we commonly play shorter games when we don't have the time for a long game, while we're waiting for everyone to arrive, or to bridge the time between longer games for a break/to allow multiple games to finish. ("Fillers" is the shorthand notation for this that does a disservice to the game IMO.)

You're absolutely right, there was no logical reason to connect the two. I think I was trying to express two things at once, and it ended up in a snafu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.