Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have The Original Pocket Farkel

Rules

"2. Only ONES and FIVES count by themselves. Other numbers count as three-of-a-kind or more but not in pairs."

I don't understand why "but not in pairs". E.g. three pairs count as 1500 points.

"7. Rolling the dice off the playing surface means re-rolling all eligible dice."

Does it mean re-rolling the dice that have just been rolled or also the dice that have been already counted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kackarschen wrote:

Rules

"2. Only ONES and FIVES count by themselves. Other numbers count as three-of-a-kind or more but not in pairs."

I don't understand why "but not in pairs". E.g. three pairs count as 1500 points.

"7. Rolling the dice off the playing surface means re-rolling all eligible dice."

Does it mean re-rolling the dice that have just been rolled or also the dice that have been already counted?

Three pairs is fine...but a pair by itself will not score, unlike 1s, 5s, and any triple you keep.

Just the ones that were rolled...otherwise it'd be too easy to try and force a reroll when you don't like what you've saved thus far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Velasco
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
kackarschen wrote:

Rules

As has already been pointed out. Three pairs is a scoring combination. One or two pair is not. However, there is an important scoring combination that looks like it contains one pair, but technically contains three pair. That is four-of-a-kind plus one pair. The rules specifically state that four-of-a-kind plus one pair can be scored as three pair. The idea is that you can break up the four of a kind into two pair. That gives you a total of three pair which scores higher than just four-of-a-kind.

Quote:

This is a fairly standard "cocked die" rule in just about every dice game in existence, even things like backgammon, parcheesi, and craps. You must reroll all the dice you just rolled. You have to reroll ALL of the dice you just rolled not just the one(s) that were "cocked". "Cocked" means a die did not land FLAT inside the play area. If the die lands leaning against anything - another die, a play piece, a chip, the edge of the board, clothing, a body part, etc. - even if it's obvious that it would fall on one face, OR if it lands outside of the play area - your side of the board, the entire board, the table, etc, then it is a "cocked" die and ALL of the dice that were just thrown need to be thrown again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Velasco
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
As a followup to my own response, I've seen some interesting cocked dice. I have seen a die land flat ON TOP of another die. In fact, when people use the Farkle cup instead of their hands, which they should really, and they put the cup on the table and lift it, they will often end up with stacked dice.

I have seen a die land flat on top of a chip used to keep score.

I have seen many backgammon die fall flat on top of a checker.

I have seen backgammon die land flat on the bar.

I have seen many backgammon die land leaning of just about every part of the board.

I have seen a dice land in the crack of an expandable table top and end up exactly on edge.

And, of course I've seen dice fly everywhere and off the table many many times.

All of these are examples of cocked dice and all of the dice involved in the roll need to be re-rolled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spieler Gott
Germany
flag msg tools
Das ist ein ÜberBadge.
badge
Wow!
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just re-roll the dice that fell of the table?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Read
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kackarschen wrote:
Why not just re-roll the dice that fell of the table?

You could do that but dice may interact with each other when rolled so for consistency it makes sense to re-roll all of them. This would be similar to someone rolling one die, then a second die, etc. Usually frowned upon as it is easier to control them that way. The most obvious case is the 6 year old that tries to drop a die onto a specific side by merely flipping it over, usually very obvious to spot. Harder to spot when older people practice this skill. Even if there are no "cheaters" it still makes sense to always re-roll all the dice reduce the possibility that someone will question it.

Our house rule is that a die is considered "cocked" when it touches *anything* but another rolled die or the table and that the faces of all dice must be flat on the rolling surface. So, cups, pens, banked dice, and anything else should be kept clear of the rolling area. Rolling dice into a box or tray generally eliminates these issues though you can still end up with stacked die, dice leaning against each other or against a side of the box (not flat).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.