Poland
Rybnik
flag msg tools
Hey look, a pony!
badge
Smile :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.

I have spotted Spells of Doom here while its Kickstarter campaign was relaunching and have followed it with curiosity ever since. Having recently managed to secure myself a copy, I was relieved to find that despite several reports of such, my copy had all the right numbers of cards (30 per wizard, at least). There are some differences in the number of tokens, but that's ok, we're using figures from other games anyway for clarity.

For starters, we played two games with Magie and Byron. That went well. Then we tried Hypnor.

Here goes nothing:

1. There are 3 pairs of terrain tokens, while Hypnor has 2 firendly areas and 2 exploding areas in his deck. Does this mean he can only have 3 prepared at the same time? Or are the grey hexes used to denote friendly area? If not, what are they for? And why, then, are there 3 terrain tokens?

2. Decoy is a counter spell. It's only use is as a counter. Yet in the rulebook, there is a picture of them being prepared in spell area, not in the reserve - so is this an exception? Can Hypnor cast Decoy from spell area? Or can he only store them in spell area to transfer them to reserve at a later point in the game?

3. Whenever there is a stacking effect in the game, it scales to the maximum number of cards available. Yet, there are 3 Brain Malfunction cards and an effect that only goes up to 2 (not that more would be needed, discarding 2 cards is distressing enough).

The last question doesn't concern Hypnor, namely:

4. Can you use two Strong Attacks to boost the same attack made by a hero?

Other than those somewhat unclear matters, I enjoy the game very much and I'll be sure to pick up any future expansions you might think of releasing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evangelos Foskolos
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
Gaming Together
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Artur.
Thank you for the questions, and even more for sticking around that long! I really like that so many are talking about expansions. That shows that our decision to work on them already is a good one whistle
I am always happy to answer them, and they give me more reasons to try to revise the rulebook so everything is clearer.

1. Hypnor can only have up to 3 terrain cards prepared at any time. That of course means that he can discard/use one and immediately replace it with another one, but he can never have more than 3.
1.1 The grey hexes are to denote the starting positions of the heroes (and also the respawning hex in case they get killed during the game). The are that many so you can use them in the 4 player version in teams.

2.Decoy is indeed a counter spell. But, all counters can be used at another player's turn. They can also be used during your turn, as well. That means that (exactly the same as Byron's Stoneskin), you prepare it in the Spell Area, and if you wish you cast it during an opponent's turn.
In the case that you decide to put Decoy in the reserve area, the only advantage you have is that the other player does not know that you have it.

3. In all cases you can choose how many cards to discard in order to use the effect. So, if you decide to cast a Fireball, even if you have 3 Fireball cards prepared, you can decide to only use 1 or 2. So, you can cast Brain Malfunction with one or two cards even if you have 3 prepared in your Spell Area.

4. You cannot use two Strong Attacks to boost the same attack by a hero, but you can use 2 Strong Attack cards in the same round, in different attacks (one from the hero and one from a creature).

I hope that clarified everything you asked. If you have any more questions, please feel free to make them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Szpot
Poland
Rybnik
flag msg tools
Hey look, a pony!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. That's one of the best things about the geek, that you don't have to make up any rules you don't quite get - just ask the author

1.1 It only confused me because there is a total of 8 hexes: 2 gray and 2 black with two different images.

2. The rulebook, under "Terminology", reads:
"Counter: Some cards have the Counter keyword. These can be activated normally or during another player's turn but only from the Reserve."
Also, since Decoy triggers after a Spell or Attack has been declared onto Hypnor, I don't see how I could possibly use it during my turn.

3. It only perplexed me because all the other Heroes have exactly as many cards in the deck as they can use for a single blast. I thought perhaps the cards count might be wrong.

4. Just as I thought.

One play later, I'd also add these to the mix:

5. The errata for defense turrets reads:
"Whenever an enemy moves into the range of a Defence Tower nothing happens, but if he tries to move out of its range in the same turn the tower deals Attack 2 to it before he moves out."
Suppose I spawn two dogs in a hex adjacent two a defense turret, then move them out of its range. I suppose spawning doesn't count as moving into range, but I'd rather be 100% clear on that.

6. The rulebook, under Hero Phase/Move, reads:
"The characters can be moved in any order, but a character's movement and attack(s) must be completed before another one is moved."
Suppose I attack another player's shrine, but fail to destroy it. I then position myself on the same hex and continue to assault it with Attacks from my creatures until the enemy's crystal is destroyed. I proceed to spend 2 mana to take control of the now freed shrine. Would that be correct, since capturing a magic shrine is neither move nor attack? Or should I understand the above excerpt as "once you start moving another character, the previous one can do nothing further this turn"?

7. A tad unlikely, but supposing I have enough mana, could I capture more then one magic shrine in a single turn? I only ask because all the other possible actions (move, attack, upgrade, build) have that precise delimiter and there is none for the capture.

Thanks for indulging my nitpickiness

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evangelos Foskolos
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
Gaming Together
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Artur and have a great New Year!
I also love BGG for many reasons, this is one of them cool
Let's get back to your questions

1.1 They are that many so eachplayer can have one on the board and one in front of him. So, when playing in teams, each ally will have in front of him the same image (the one in black,the other in grey).

Quote:
The rulebook, under "Terminology", reads:
"Counter: Some cards have the Counter keyword. These can be activated normally or during another player's turn but only from the Reserve."

If you activate in normally during your turn (blue part) you can play it from the Spell Area, but if you activate it during another player's turn(red part), it has to be from the reserve and not from your hand.
The "only from reserve" part applies only to the blue part
Quote:

Also, since Decoy triggers after a Spell or Attack has been declared onto Hypnor, I don't see how I could possibly use it during my turn.
I also had "Ensnare" in mind when replying, so you are right, Decoy can only be used as a Counter outside your turn.

Now let's go to the new staff

5.You are right, spawing does not count as "moving into range"

6. Doing other actions after movement can be done, even if you play one of creatures inbetween. So, you could move & attack with your hero, attack with a creature, and then caprure the magic shrine you are standing to.

7. Yes, it is legit. There is no limit of crystal shrines you can capture during your turn.

Please let me know if something is not clear enough. I am thinking of revising the rules a little bit, so all these questions are useful and give me strong enough indications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Szpot
Poland
Rybnik
flag msg tools
Hey look, a pony!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot, it's all clear now. We're gonna have a game tomorrow though, so I can't guarantee I'm all done being inquisitive meeple

I'm glad I can help, even (or especially) if it's actually through being helped myself. The rulebook is rather clear, though some cleaning up of its text wouldn't hurt... Unless you mean actual rule changes? Then I'll be willing to give them a try. I haven't had the occasion to capture a shrine for 5 mana, after all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Hasson
United Kingdom
Derry
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Can I just ask in regard to the traps the tokens are used to link the associated hex with the appropriate trap card. When these traps are set can I confirm the card is played face up next to your player board so all players can see what the corresponding trap is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evangelos Foskolos
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
Gaming Together
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wuzetus wrote:
The rulebook is rather clear, though some cleaning up of its text wouldn't hurt... Unless you mean actual rule changes?

No actual rules will change, only some clearing up and perhaps some more examples.

boomstick43 wrote:
Hi,

Can I just ask in regard to the traps the tokens are used to link the associated hex with the appropriate trap card. When these traps are set can I confirm the card is played face up next to your player board so all players can see what the corresponding trap is?

When you place the token on the hex, you also keep the card in your trap area face down.
When you activate the card, then you open the card (so all players see it) and then discard it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Szpot
Poland
Rybnik
flag msg tools
Hey look, a pony!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just played a 2 vs 2 battle, I gotta say, that is most certainly the way it's meant to be played! The depth of strategy went through the roof and exploring how the pairings interact is way more enrapturing.

Also, how could I doubt my ability to find further doubts according to the rules inside me?

8. Supposing I have three traps placed already and want to prepare yet another one, could I discard an earlier one to make this possible?

9. In the aforementioned game, we decided to make use of the proposed mana sharing rule and, since there were no limitations put onto it, we exploited it to the maximum. I must say, starting the game by capturing a shrine and Summoning three of Byron's Knights in the very first move was awesome, although it was ultimately proven to not have been wise. Other examples of abusing this rule would be:
- using an ally's mana pool to cast Decoy as Hypnor
- sending one player off to capture shrines and having the other keeping the enemies busy (and man, is it hard to stop Oakheart's critters from destroying your buildings without having Magie's AoE spells at your disposal!)
- actually having more mana than crystally possible on the shrine-capturing mage and "depositing" them on his partner to make place for more
None of these are particularly wrong, and they did certainly make the whole game amazingly fun. I guess I should play a game without that rule in action before jumping to conclusions, but some restrictions might make for an interesting mode of play too.

10. Could I Counter Attack, then Decoy the same attack made against Hypnor? Logically, I'd say no, but there isn't a rule preventing that that I see...

11. This one is more of a suggestion than question and will probably undergo experimentation on my part, but how about upping the cost on shrine capture (maybe not back to 5, but, say, 3) and having some of the mana return to the owner of the newly destroyed shrine? That could make for an interesting change in pace.

On a side thought, creating a tight cluster of defense turrets near the center of the map in teamplay is a nigh-unbeatable strategy. If someone wants to attack you, he'll have to subject himself to 6 to 12 attacks, and if you ever get injured, just crawl the short distance back and get healed for 4 every alternate turn. Which means 8 or more health back before it's your turn again. Not to mention you can place the Dragon and the Bear inside this defensive circle and making an unkillable, unstoppable zoo-force of destruction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evangelos Foskolos
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
Gaming Together
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am also very happy with how the 2vs2 game unfolds
Although, I strongly suggest the 2 player version at the first couple of games.
And I am also happy to answer your questions!

8. Yes, it is possible. It is also possible to activate an old one and then play the new one.

9. You probably read the Kickstarter version of the rules since we removed it from the final version of the rules (you can find the final version here ).We had put in the first version of the rules as a fun varriant but we decided to remove it being afraid that it would confuse some players.

10. You can do it! You can't cast 2 Decoys on the same attack, but you can cast one of each.

11. It seems interesting. Interesting enough to have a try on it one of these days. But we will be quite busy playtesting the expansion so I can take a while to respond this one.

It can be a very strong strategy indeed, but it will be quite expensive (manawise ) to complete it. I consider it as a strong one but certainly not unbeatable
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thompson
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fokos wrote:
Quote:
The rulebook, under "Terminology", reads:

If you activate in normally during your turn (blue part) you can play it from the Spell Area, but if you activate it during another player's turn(red part), it has to be from the reserve and not from your hand.
The "only from reserve" part applies only to the blue part

Does this mean that you cannot play a "counter" card on your opponents turn if it was in your Spell Area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Szpot
Poland
Rybnik
flag msg tools
Hey look, a pony!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Does this mean that you cannot play a "counter" card on your opponents turn if it was in your Spell Area?

It means exactly the opposite. To be maximally clear:

A Counter Skill can be played:
a) during your turn from your hand or reserve
b) during another player's turn from your reserve

A Counter Spell can be played:
a) during your turn from your hand, spell area or reserve
b) during another player's turn from your spell area or reserve

Quote:
You probably read the Kickstarter version of the rules (...)

I did. I only withheld from making a PnP copy at one time because I couldn't figure out the correct card distribution for the particular mages. I do have the print-out from the box, the newest .pdf, as well as the errata, so no surprises there Still, I do find that an interesting variant and will most likely give it a try at some point in the future.

And I can't wait to hear more about the expansion when you'll be ready to share something! I can only imagine the possibilities, but they do make for a fine prospect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fokos wrote:
10. You can do it! You can't cast 2 Decoys on the same attack, but you can cast one of each.

This clarified a question that came up last game (using Decoy twice on a single attack), but it raised a new question for me:

Can you Counter Attack twice on the same attack? If so, when attacked could you Counter Attack, Counter Attack, and then Decoy a single attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Szpot
Poland
Rybnik
flag msg tools
Hey look, a pony!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vydar wrote:
Can you Counter Attack twice on the same attack? If so, when attacked could you Counter Attack, Counter Attack, and then Decoy a single attack?

I'd say no, but it's just a guess, so official statement would be welcome.

Also, I have one similar question:

12. Does the 1 spell/turn rule govern Counter spells played off-turn? Namely:
a) Could I cast Ensnare twice during off-turn? Or Stoneskin?
b) If not, could I do it in three off-turns, supposing a 4-player game?
c) It isn't legal to cast 2 Decoys on the same attack; how about casting three of them on the same turn, each in response to a different attack?
d) What if I'm attacked by a Fast Attack? Can I Decoy each of those? If not, and I fail the first time, could I try again before the second attack is rolled?

13. According to Brain Malfunction's manual description, it can only be cast on Heroes, but later on it reads "and deals Brain Damage if the target is a Hero". I deduce one of these versions to be an already-changed rule, and I do assume that you can only target Heroes with it, but for the sake of clarity...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.