Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(Note: Although this question is about the Dutch translation, I'll still write in English as maybe other people are interested too.)

I'm wondering if the Dutch translated edition is as much fun as the English one.

Of course the gameplay is the same as in the English version, but does the humor still come through after translation?

It seems that a lot comes from wordplay, and as we all know sometimes those puns are just not translatable. (Though by sheer coincidence "Koethulu" actually works better, as it's pronounced just like "Chuthulu".)

I'm thinking about the Discworld books for instance, where the translators tried really hard, but it's still only half as fun as it is in English.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Kunst
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, still fun. (If you're into that kind of humour.)
Also notice that there are a couple of cards exclusive to and especially designed for the Dutch version.

//edit
I might add that some jokes are a bit out of date perhaps. But that goes for the English version as well.

//edit2
Also I might just add that there are a few samples in the image database.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Jens!

Wulf684 wrote:
Also I might just add that there are a few samples in the image database.
Ah, nice. Didn't see that. I'll check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.