Popular Tags: rules [+] clarification [+] [View All]
Christopher Scott
United States
Mishawaka
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the game for the holidays and thinking it is wonderful!! One minor thought came up during our first game. Since I've played a good amount of games with limits on your hand size, I wondered about this:

If, at the start of your turn, you have 10 gems. You decide to pick up a card and get a gold (wild) chip. Now that it's the end of your turn, you have 11 chips but are limited to 10. Would you say that you can discard another gem to keep the gold or would you not get the gold since you already have 10?

My thinking was that you could take the wild then discard another because you started the turn with 10 but when you got your 11th, it was still the middle of your turn. Then, when you get to end your turn, you have too many so I figure you should be able to discard any other gem you want.

Hoping to hear some input!! Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you start your turn with 10 chips and you use your turn to take a Gold (and reserve a card), you are allowed to discard a non-Gold chip at the end of your turn to get down to 10.

The rules say the following:
Quote:
A player can never have more than 10 tokens at the end of their turn (including jokers). If this happens, they must return tokens until they only have 10 left. A player can return all or some of those they’ve just drawn.

There is no rule that prevents you from having more than 10 during your turn. It's only at the end that you have to discard. As you can see, the rules allow you to discard what you just drew, but they do not require it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
As horribly written/translated as these English rules are, this is one point that's actually quite clear in the rulebook. Your limit of 10 is enforced only at the end of your turn, not during your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
As horribly written/translated as these English rules are, this is one point that's actually quite clear in the rulebook. Your limit of 10 is enforced only at the end of your turn, not during your turn.

I'm of a very different opinion. This is one of the best English rulebooks I have ever read.

And yes, as everyone has said, point is clear in the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aelfric Brewer
msg tools
mbmbmb
This is actually I tactic I (rarely) have used to get rid of chips I couldn't spend (for example, I had 3 green cards and 2 green chips, and nothing on the board needed more than 3 green to purchase). Take chips to go over the 10 limit, then discard the color that is just taking up space in your bank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But if they're not in the way, you might as well keep them in order for others to not be able to get them. Certainly once you need to get others you can discard the ones you don't need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rick t
msg tools
mbmb
Probably a noob question, but what's the point of having more than 10 chips during your turn if you can't spend them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Herring
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lunatik4444 wrote:
Probably a noob question, but what's the point of having more than 10 chips during your turn if you can't spend them?

You picked poorly on previous turns and now don't have the proper chips to purchase anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rick t
msg tools
mbmb
So basically since since you can only pick 1 of 4 actions, having 10 chips at the beginning of your turn and then picking up more chips is just a wasted turn, you'd want to purchase a card instead

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scott
United States
Mishawaka
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So basically since since you can only pick 1 of 4 actions, having 10 chips at the beginning of your turn and then picking up more chips is just a wasted turn, you'd want to purchase a card instead

Since some of the cards require more than 10 resources, theoretically you could get all the chips in the first several turns and just buy the highest point cards without buying any other cards. I see the game as building up resources than hording.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Katuska
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
As you can see, the rules allow you to discard what you just drew, but they do not require it.

That's such a great catch. We had been playing under the assumption that the chips you discarded had to be some of the ones you had just picked up, basically that you couldn't reduce the stacks of colors in front of you, only add to them up to the maximum.

I doubt this would've made a huge difference in any of our games thus far, but it adds yet another option when you're loading up on chips, waiting for your opponent to make the first move on a stale board. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.