Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Dune» Forums » Rules

Subject: Quick advice: Starting 4 players NOW. Which factions should we include? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Goth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The subject line says it all. We had planned this to be a 6 player event, but people backed out due to christmas flu and other not so timely ailments, and now the four players are getting ready to start once we all settle in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Any 4 would be fine, or you can have two players play two factions each in permanent alliance, but with a requirement to win by an extra sietch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slashing wrote:
Any 4 would be fine, or you can have two players play two factions each in permanent alliance, but with a requirement to win by an extra sietch.

This is how we always play with less than 6, with the added bit that the Shield Wall is added as a sixth stronghold. Alliances must hold 4 of 6 to win, singles 3 of 6. It's worked for 20+ years in our group!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
The Emperor and the Guild offset each other nicely, since they both get rich of the money other players give them - so if you don't include one of them, it's more balanced if you don't include the other one too.

The Bene Gesserit plot a lot but don't tend to _do_ much until their endgame, so a game without them doesn't feel lacking. If you remove them, it's a good idea to remove the Fremen too because that gives a boost to everyone else - the Emperor keeps his Sardaukar bonus, Harkonnen and Atreides lose a dangerous rival in their hunt for spice, there are more empty Sietches to contest and they were never paying much to the Emperor or anything to the Guild anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samy
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Chaaaarge!!
badge
First Image Ever of a Hydrogen Atom's Electron Cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
For those that have used the "permanent alliance" solution, which factions do you put together for the various numbers of players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personal preference, but I would leave out the Bene Gesserit and Guild.

Both BG and Guild are usually taking action later in the game...and IMO more early action is better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
zurn wrote:
For those that have used the "permanent alliance" solution, which factions do you put together for the various numbers of players?

In line with the book, Emperor Harkonnen and Fremen Atreides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love a game without the Hark or Atr.
That makes life very interesting!
But I agree that for newer players leaving out BG and Guild is best.

Don't force alliances--the negotiations and backstabbing are part of the game! Without that it's just another wargame *yawn*.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Along those lines, which one should be left out for a 5-player game (with 4 who have never played it before)?

I'm thinking Guild, since they seem like the least flashy faction and I want as many crazy faction-only things to happen as possible, but I thought I'd open it to the BGG floor for suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.