Kendall McKenzie
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I help run the Gamers Society at my university. The trouble is, we don't actually really have any games of our own so it's limited to what people bring (which is normally me), but I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what to get, since I have different tastes from a lot of the group.

I've got a £200 budget to buy board games for the group, which means 5-8ish games that will appeal to a decent variety of people.

Currently I am definitely getting Splendor and likely to get 7 Wonders and No Thanks. Potentially looking at Ticket to Ride if I can find it cheaper than Amazon currently has it for.

I'm looking for light to medium games that fit the following:
- Not in my collection.
- No 1 or 2 player only games
- Plays in less than 2 hours or so
- In print or readily available
- Not The Resistance

Bonuses:
- plays well with more than 4
- looks great, nice pieces etc
- easy to teach & learn (I will end up learning and teaching them all...)
- appeals to video gamers & non board gamers
- negotiation and social games go over well, and anything with a traitor mechanic will be much appreciated
- strong theme
- not a super huge box (we have limited storage space)

Some games that went over pretty well:
Love Letter
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Nothing Personal
Lords of Xidit
Dixit

I know that's a lot of criteria, but please feel free to recommend something outside that if you think it would be a good fit for our collection! Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys xxx
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Room 25 fits all of your criteria and is one of my favourite games. Easy to teach, social with traitor mechanic, small box, strong theme...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Turnitsa
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that sometimes it is not possible with student organization funds, but if you have some flexibility in how your funds are spent, you might be able to get more titles if you can get used copies. Also, a number of manufacturers are supportive of student clubs, so it is worth the time to write a letter and see if they can support you (with games, promo materials, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Turnitsa
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Pandemic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McGee
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Click to view this user's profile.
badge
Uncertainty and Innovation
mbmbmbmbmb
The Resistance.

oh wait...

Formula D
Bohnanza (this one might be the weakest on theme of the 4 I'm listing)
For Sale
Gravwell: Escape from the 9th Dimension

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 For Sale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest involving your club members. Find some play-through/overview videos of games you might consider and ask for thoughts and feedback.

Something like Tabletop should be accessible http://geekandsundry.com/shows/tabletop
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Kauk
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Augustus
Good Cop, Bad Cop
Machi Koro
Colt Express
San Juan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suburbia
RoboRally (Twin Tin Bots on your wishlist would scratch the same itch; I prefer Roborally)

Definitely keep looking into deals on Ticket to Ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank de Jong
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be a dead give-away, but:

Settlers of Catan?
Carcassonne?

Easy to learn, lots of replay-ability and accessible yet not too simple for more hardcore gamers. And as a bonus, your club can decide to get more expansions later to create more diversity when they like the game.

And yes, I also agree with RoboRally and Ticket to Ride.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Chinatown

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Airlines Europe

Alhambra

Dominion

Elder Sign

Escape: The Curse of the Temple

Ghost Stories

Lords of Vegas

Lords of Waterdeep

Machi Koro

Tajemnicze Domostwo

E Especially interesting to fans of Dixit.

Pandemic

Pergamon

San Juan (second edition)

Sheriff of Nottingham

Stone Age

Terror in Meeple City

To be honest, I ignored the requirements for bonus points, as the full list of must have + nice to have aspects is in its sum pretty restricting - but it's still great that you provided us with some guidelines.

The "easy to learn and teach"/"accessible" aspect was still considered, though, as I think that it is probably in the end the most important one here.

I hope you this will help you and you will find the right games !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Cheney
United Kingdom
derby
derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try 6 nimmt- it's a card game but very small box and our game group likes it. There is a Walking Dead version in Tk max at the moment for around £8. Think it plays upto about 11 people on a couple of different modes. Fits all your criteria and most of your bonus criteria too if you went for the themed walking dead version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Monteforte
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
King of New York is great with up to 6.

If Lords of Xidit went over well, if you can find a copy of RoboRally and it may be enjoyed, or for a bit more depth VOLT: Robot Battle Arena. But i do believe those are 4 player max.

If you like 7 wonders i suggest you look at Fairy Tale

the game Zombies!!! is cheap, has a ton of replayability and expansions (once one of the right expansions is purchased you can easily play 8 players) but it is a SUPER mean spirited game.

I also highly recommend Shadow Hunters as a big team game, with 6-8 players sooooooooo amazingly good. and the version on amazon now includes the expansion.

Lastly, Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game is absolutely far and away the best game with a betrayer i have ever seen or heard of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T C
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep is one of the best for an accessible choice that is quick, easy to learn and good replay ability.

Glory to Rome is a bit more difficult to learn, but as long as the person explaining the rules has it down, it's not that complex. It plays in an hour and supports up to 5, takes up little space and isn't too expensive.

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) would be great, but might be too long.

Kemet is my favorite free for all war game in part because there is no player elimination. It also plays fairly quickly and the different "technologies" you can acquire allows for variety and replay ability. It scales from 2-5 players well.

Star Wars: Imperial Assault and Hyperborea could also be good choices.

Keyflower is another great choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Ivey
United States
Vadnais Heights
mbmbmbmbmb
Smash Up
Quick and easy game, awesome replay value, numerous options. I honestly can't say enough good things about this game.

Cosmic Encounter
Very very good, don't expect a balance game though, cosmic encounters is all about chaos. Very fun, quick, easy to pickup and play. Cosmic has negotiation and backstabbing in spades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.