Carrier Battlegroup: Solitaire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Combat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still not sure if I understand how combat is conducted in this game. Does every US unit get to fire in each of the firing categories (A,B&C)in a combat zone? That would mean an Aegis CG in the outer zone combat could fire anti-air, anti-surface and anti-submarine. If Aegis CG survived that combat it could repeat firing three more time again in the inner zone combat. Potentially firing six times in a single combat turn? Also submarines could fire anti-surface sinking ships before any of them could return anti-submarine fire. Even aircraft with anti-submarine capabilities could not attack submarines before the subs sank ships given the required firing category sequence. That does not make sense. This combat seems fatally flawed and I have to assume I am misunderstanding how combat is conducted in this game.

Also Soviet fire must follow a sequence protocol which is very confusing. Unlike the US they can only fire once per combat zone? Please help me understand how the Soviets conduct fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alecc
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I spent more time clipping chits than playing games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
21.4 is the only place the rules allude to Soviet units firing once per turn instead of once per phase. I think 20.2 says it a bit more clearly:
Rules wrote:
Combat is resolved by conducting the following steps, each unit firing once per category (a, b, c):

And then in 21.2:
Rules wrote:
Each unit fires individually (different units cannot ever combine their fire strengths), and each unit can target only one enemy unit (per each of its categories) in each phase.

It would be dice if Decision released v1.1 of the rules, or at least an errata sheet to address these issues.

WRT the volume of fire and the sequence, I believe your understanding to be correct. Aircraft are the first ones into the fray, and will be subject to air defenses before they can hit the fleet. Surface ships would be next, followed finally by Subs. It is necessary to put subs last if you want to model them being stealthy/undetected and to give them first shot advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, your explanation of combat makes sense and confirms I was doing combat correctly. I am still unsure about how the Soviets fire as covered in rules 21.3 and 21.4.

For example in the Soviet Anti-Surface category a cruise missile, a submarine and a surface ship shoot. The cruise missile must fire first and According to the Target Priorities Table must first shoot at the American ship with the lowest EW. In my example it is a damaged California Cruiser. The soviet sub fires next and shoots at the undamaged California Cruiser which has the next lowest EW. The soviet surface ship fires last at the last two American Ships which have the same EW value (Ticonderoga Cruiser and the Nimitz). A roll of the die will determine which ship receives the soviet fire. Optionally, I could have concentrated all the soviet fire on the wounded California Cruiser or had the soviet sub and surface ship gang up on the undamaged California Cruiser.

Am I doing this correctly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alecc
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I spent more time clipping chits than playing games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you're a little off on 21.3, but close.

Rules wrote:
Next, for each firing Soviet unit (per the sequence order given above), assign a single target for its fire per the following priority list ...

Target Priorities
1 Missile units (anti-air)
2 Air units (anti-air)
3 CV (anti-surface)
4 BBG (anti-surface)
5 CGN/CG/CG Aegis (anti-surface)
6 DDG/DD (anti-surface)
7 FF (anti-surface)
8 SSGN (anti-submarine)
9 Other Ships (anti-surface)

If there is more than one unit in a category, then the attack is against the unit with the lowest EW rating. ...

21.4 What Must Fire at What
Unlike USN fire, each Soviet unit must fire at a different eligible target, if possible ...

The Ruskies always shoot at the CV, then the other big ships. Ganging up isn't an option for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok now I understand the Target Priorities Table on page R11. Using the Soviet Anti-surface combat in my above post, the soviet cruise missile would attack the Nimitz. The soviet sub would attack the damaged California Cruiser because of its lower EW. The soviet surface ship would attack the undamaged California Cruiser for it has the next lowest EW. That would leave the Ticonderoga Cruiser unmolested. Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.