Popular Tags: [View All]
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone played this and has some thoughts on it? I know Zee Garcia mentioned it, but I wanted to hear more details on how it plays.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I need more plays before I form a solid opinion. I purchased it with the hope that it would be a nice gateway game that is a bit of a step up from Ticket to Ride, etc., and I'd say it fills that role just fine. It's definitely not one of my favorite games, but I never expected it to be. I don't particularly like the 3p rules, but I already created a thread on it.

I'm really surprised by the lack of comments, etc. on this one though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
It is not in very wide distribution yet. I'd expect tons of comments in the coming months (January).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Olsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played it but want to.

Just saw this for the first time in my FLGS and thought it looked like a game to fill that 'next step train game' role.

I'll have to go back as soon as they have a demo copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tom Vasel picked it up at Essen (probably the copy Zee played and mentioned on Twitter), I believe a video review is in the queue for this week. Keep an eye on Youtube.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Glenn
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Zee Garcia would never lie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zbeth Taylor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I just had my first play, and here are my initial thoughts. It's fiddly - the rail pieces need little more than a table jiggle to move, but they're no worse than the trains in Ticket to Ride. The rule book could be more precise, but it'll get you going. If you read closely and make a few intelligent assumptions, you should have few hiccups in play. The board in my game is cut crooked and doesn't lie flat, which makes getting the rail pieces in place a little tricky. All that said, I like it -it's a great middle step between TTR and the Empire Builder series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zbeth wrote:
I just had my first play, and here are my initial thoughts. It's fiddly - the rail pieces need little more than a table jiggle to move, but they're no worse than the trains in Ticket to Ride. The rule book could be more precise, but it'll get you going. If you read closely and make a few intelligent assumptions, you should have few hiccups in play. The board in my game is cut crooked and doesn't lie flat, which makes getting the rail pieces in place a little tricky. All that said, I like it -it's a great middle step between TTR and the Empire Builder series.

Thanks for the reply. Exactly what I was looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Lovesee
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
I really like this game. It's quick and fairly simple once you understand how delivering commodities works. The one problem I have with it that the track pieces are incredibly fiddly. A slight bump of the table and your routes are completely scrambled (especially if you have lots of routes in one area.) It's also a little tricky to get your trains on the tracks. However, this is a minor problem and I really enjoy the game. It's a step up from TTR and just below games like Empire Builder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hatfield
United States
Helena
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got in my first play of it the other night.

My impression is that it's an entertaining game, but one that if you play by the rules (which we inadvertently did not do) it's going to be a very SHORT game, with no real reason to perform certain upgrades.

I played a 2 player game, and we played it where you could deliver the goods more than once, as long as you didn't go to a city that already had good delivered to it. According to the rules, I discovered, you're only supposed to deliver ONCE, then remove the goods from play. So the game, per the rules, is a quick pick up-and-deliver game, that can quickly devolve into a "build track as rapidly as possible" to get the most points and end the game.

My wife, who enjoys Ticket to Ride, and enjoys pick up-and-deliver games said she would not like the game if you could only do ONE delivery of any cargo just once in a game. So, we're house ruling that you can deliver more than once, as long as it's not to city you're already delivered any material to.

Other than that one little glitch, the game plays fairly smoothly, and there is a nice blend between deciding when to upgrade your train and how much to upgrade, as each upgrade removes some precious money that is used for determining victory.

Yes, the pieces are a bit fiddly, but not too bad. Yes, there really aren't enough check marks to use to effectively cross off all of your cities on your contracts, so there's a fair amount of cross-reference needed when approaching a city when your train is loaded with cargo.

But other than that, the game is enjoyable. A step up from TTR, with more depth and options to use. We'll definitely be playing again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrimacePCH wrote:
I got in my first play of it the other night.

My impression is that it's an entertaining game, but one that if you play by the rules (which we inadvertently did not do) it's going to be a very SHORT game, with no real reason to perform certain upgrades.

I played a 2 player game, and we played it where you could deliver the goods more than once, as long as you didn't go to a city that already had good delivered to it. According to the rules, I discovered, you're only supposed to deliver ONCE, then remove the goods from play. So the game, per the rules, is a quick pick up-and-deliver game, that can quickly devolve into a "build track as rapidly as possible" to get the most points and end the game.

My wife, who enjoys Ticket to Ride, and enjoys pick up-and-deliver games said she would not like the game if you could only do ONE delivery of any cargo just once in a game. So, we're house ruling that you can deliver more than once, as long as it's not to city you're already delivered any material to.

Other than that one little glitch, the game plays fairly smoothly, and there is a nice blend between deciding when to upgrade your train and how much to upgrade, as each upgrade removes some precious money that is used for determining victory.

Yes, the pieces are a bit fiddly, but not too bad. Yes, there really aren't enough check marks to use to effectively cross off all of your cities on your contracts, so there's a fair amount of cross-reference needed when approaching a city when your train is loaded with cargo.

But other than that, the game is enjoyable. A step up from TTR, with more depth and options to use. We'll definitely be playing again.

Have you actually played the game with the correct rules?

The game doesn't play too quick, and it definitely doesn't devolve into a race to just build out track...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Arnemann
Germany
Darmstadt
flag msg tools
We found it to be a very interesting mixture of railway game concepts. A bit "ticket to ride", a bit "Steam", and some new ideas.

The movement rules are a bit tricky and could have been explained better. We are still unsure if our interpretation is correct:
Skipping a city is allowed not only on the free movement before your proper action but as well after a regular movement turn.
And the "bonus movement" is a proper action, only usable if your train is not in a city (and a very lame action compared to the movement out of a city).

What we still struggle with is the end of game. The sudden death after a card has been drawn randomly is likely to ruin the biggest delivery of some players shortly before fulfillment - therefore the end score seems to be a bit arbitrary. We would have liked a clear forewarning letting you do one or two more actions - thus perhaps giving you the chance to at least achieve a lesser delivery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
The ability of the leader to speed the end of the game by plowing through the deck can be quite exciting/devastating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.