United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone here on the geek become a consultant with Simply Fun?

My wife is thinking about it, and I am wondering just what the reactions have been for any of you that have tried it. I have seen their testamonial videos, and would like a more average joe type reply.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/70108

N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did it for a while.

Here's the fine print I didn't like:

If you don't generate at least X00 in sales _every quarter_, then you either get kicked out or have to pay a fee to stay active. You get one grace period.

As you move up the chain, you have to do more every quarter.

In my case, I'm a professor 9 months out of the year. I could do great in the summer and over breaks, but not when class is in session.

So, I stayed in until I had used my grace period, and then they were no longer in need of my services.

Annoying thing #2:
When they started taking online orders, you had to be of a certain level in the organization to get sales credit. If you weren't high enough, then your online sales went to someone else. (this might have changed since I left). I didn't like that.

Annoying thing #3:
Dealing with credit card numbers, payments, and delivering orders. I didn't enjoy the fulfillment part of it.

So, I didn't feel it was time well-spent for me. If I'm going to have a game party, I want to play the games appropriate for the people there, not force them into a game that it's the best choice for the players. The line has expanded, which is nice, but I decided it wasn't worth my efforts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also take a look at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/128492

and

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/128430

Also make sure you realize you are getting involved in a multi-level-marketing (MLM) program.

By the way, for those that don't know what MLM stands for, it's Multi-Level Marketing. Similiar to a pyramid scheme, the goal (dream) of those who get involved is that you not only receive a commision on direct sales you make, but also on sales those below you in the pyramid make so that in theory some day you can just sit back and relex and collect commisions while those below you do the work.

And I don't know if Simplyfun has this, but the problem with some of these MLM's, like Amway (now called Quixtar), is that the real money is not in selling the products, but a MLM within the MLM. The inner-MLM sells motivational materials, conventions (pep-rallys), marketing materials, books, etc, to those who have bought into the dream.

For more info on MLM's in general
http://www.mlmwatch.org/
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4375477/ (specifically about Amway)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi_Level_Marketing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Johnson
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone. This is the kind of feedback I was looking for.

I know its an MLM company... and I usually want no part of that... but Jules, my wife, has shown interest in "Southern Living" and "Arbond"

If she really wants to do this kind of thing, i would much rather her do it in a medium I can throw myself into as well. We shall see... im not too keen on the whole deal myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jill hosick
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I must say in response to this...I totally agree with the quoata thing. I too teach (a much younger crowd though, I teach k-8 special ed.). I get around this by simply passing a book around school and taking orders or doing a familyfun night and using it as a fundraiser. I can usually get my quota in that way. I even have used my own order to get more games or gifts or something.
I can also see where you are coming from in the anti-MLM point of view. You are absolutely right though, if you are going to do it...do it in something you enjoy! I began with the company about 2 years ago. I didn't really do much though. I did a party here and there. I was in it because I love the games....as do my students and family. I have recently decided to take this and honestly pursue it. It is truly a ton of fun to do a party! Your host invites friends to a game night, you bring games and simply PLAY! I love the idea behind them too. Promoting the importance of play. Too many youngsters do not get any quality time with their family because they are busy watching t.v. This brings friends and family together to do what I already love...play games! I would definately encourage your wife to check out the possibilities...I would be happy to talk with her too. I am not just saying that trying to "get her" under me or whatever either. I would truly be happy just to talk "simplyfun". I have been very happy with their products and their services.
There are certainly kinks that they have worked through and I'm sure there will be more to encounter but I have had great support and a lot of fun! Plus a little extra money in my pocket. Even if you are not interested in the consultant aspect of it, I hope you will check out some of the games. They are a lot of fun.
You can feel free to contact me or just check out the site at
www.jillhosick.simplyfun.com
Let me know what you think.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.