Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I've read this correctly the game is either played as the starting player placing/playing all of his cards/discards, and then it moves clockwise until all players have done this, OR you can play a fast variant where everyone just plays all cards at once at the same time.

We do things a bit differently, a 3rd way, if you will.

As a house rule, my group (who likes things a bit more strategic and dynamic) go around, starting with the start player, taking just ONE action....this, in our opinion, makes for a more dynamic and tactical game, as each move happens one at a time allowing other players to adapt/react/evolve.

When we played this way, it was such a fun riot.! We'd see someone do something and be like "why did he play that card there..!?" and then we are all deducing and trying to play the best card to protect our species as best as possible. Leads to some fake outs sometimes, too. Makes the reveal at the end much more rewarding.

When one player does all of his moves up front, I feel it makes things a bit more chaotic and chancey and eliminates some of the countering, deducing, etc.

Does anyone else play one card at a time around the table?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Gong
United States
Kingsburg
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play single card simultaneous
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it that way for my first game, accidentally, after misreading the rules. I didn't like it because the game felt too long. When I re-read the rules and played again, I liked the game much more.

I can definitely see where you're coming from. I just didn't think it was worth the game time cost that I saw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonwocky wrote:
I played it that way for my first game, accidentally, after misreading the rules. I didn't like it because the game felt too long. When I re-read the rules and played again, I liked the game much more.

I can definitely see where you're coming from. I just didn't think it was worth the game time cost that I saw.

And I see your point. I guess it just depends on the group. We don't mind a bit of added length.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea, and you've definitely read it correctly. Not played it this 3rd way, but have done the other 2 in 4 or 5 player games. It didn't seem too long, although the 3rd way seems on paper to be a bit too stop-start for me...but each to their own, may have to try it out before pronouncing final judgement lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jones
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Check the Great Big Table podcast (http://greatbigtable.com), a podcast about expanding the board game hobby.
mbmbmbmbmb
We play simultaneously which really speeds up the game. We've tried it a number of ways and simultaneously just feels the best overall to us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
jasonwocky wrote:

Many of the playtesters thought the game took too long with single card play too. That's why we settled on the current rules. But there were definitely some cool elements (as stated by the OP) that many of us were sorry to see go.

I love hearing that some groups prefer slower play and create their own house rules to fit their style. Just don't add $500 to Free Parking every time someone lands on it. That would ruin everything!

angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tammi Moran
msg tools
We've been playing one action at a time with our kids for about a year and a half. No complaints on game length;that's part of the fun!

Though...

....to be honest, I thought that was what we were supposed to be doing!blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.