Popular Tags: geekmod [+] photos [+] [View All]
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed the other day when geekmodding that some people have been uploading nicer versions of existing photos. For example, a clean, clear box shot when an existing blurry or otherwise poor one existed before. This means a lot of photos that don't really need to exist.

I propose a function be added to the GeekMod system where a person could propose a photo for removal (and possibly indicate the reason or photo that makes the proposed one obsolete). Users could then vote on it like other Geekmod topics and, if it passes, it could be send somewhere for the real mods to take care of.

Secondary suggestion: place where "amusing meeple"-ish pics can go. I like these photos, but Carcassonne is really getting bogged down with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
On the one hand, you're right, it'd be good to remove the clutter.

On the other hand, this might make the BGG image set subject to whims and fads. If a bunch of active moderators decide that they don't like cats in boxes, for example, a lot of cat photos could be wiped out pretty quickly. Then a year later when we regain our senses, these critically important photos will be lost forever.

So maybe instead of deleting the photos, have them set as "obsolete," then add a way to browse obsolete photos, and a way to propose them for re-inclusion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think something is already in place, at least partly.

A few weeks ago or so I submitted 4 photos (w/meeples for 2 of them ) for 2 different games. All 4 were approved... and were already getting thumbs (recommendations)... a day or two later I received an email one of them had been removed (and they took back the geekgold as well), and then a day later a 2nd one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thumis Dalidalisa
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it is an absolute must to clean out and organize the clutter of the image files. There are hundreds of "Still Life of Meeples and Tiles" images in various games.

As noted in the original post, some images that have been superseded by better images of the same thing should just be deleted. However, I'd suggest that some sort of supermajority (e.g. 2/3 rather than 50%+1) be required to delete an image. That would protect against fads.

Other images should stay but be better organized: I have nothing against cats and ginat meeple pillows but sometimes I don't want to wade through hundreds of photos to find a picture of the board and counters. Perhaps one good way to start would be to sort basic images of components and rules into a separate folder, leaving the pictures of people playing, cats in boxes, and meeples in scandalous poses, for another larger folder.

Just some ideas ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why I suggested an image be sent to an admin first. They would be able to tell, I assume, if some chicanery is going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mahaffey
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
GAME ARTIST
badge
GAME ARTIST
mbmbmbmbmb
Would definitely be a nice feature...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
I think something is already in place, at least partly.

A few weeks ago or so I submitted 4 photos (w/meeples for 2 of them ) for 2 different games. All 4 were approved... and were already getting thumbs (recommendations)... a day or two later I received an email one of them had been removed (and they took back the geekgold as well), and then a day later a 2nd one.

Does anyone know how these pictures would have been removed? Is this just a special privilege of actual BGG Admins?

I agree that there should be a way to replace an identical picture with a better quality one of the same thing when it is just game boxes or components - after a vote producing an overwhelming majority (even 4/5 would be better than nothing). However, I don't think anyone should lose GG in those cases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I agree there should be a mechanism to remove unneccessary pictures. Maybe to keep it in check at first, it has to follow the same guidelines as the ones for posting (though that isn't always followed either): Similar picture that is "better," blurry photo that shouldn't have been included to begine with, etc.

I also think some type of sorting system would be worth the effort. People like their cats playing their games, I don't get it, I don't want them, I will always vote down the cat pictures. But if people want them, fine, let's make a folder with animals so I can sort them out and not see them. We could also do one for custimization of the games. I enjoy the extra work people put into the games - such as creating their own cards or painting minis or replacing woodblocks with plastic minis - but sometimes I just want to see what comes with the actual game and not wade through a 100 painted figures to find it. I would suggest being able to sort out the following: "Actual Game" "Customization" "Animal Pics" "Cool Pics that have nothing to do with the game but I made a Meeple Pillow and it looks really neat" Then you could add an "Obsolete" folder if we can't delete pics above.

In any cases, I don't think GG should be revoked. 1) Someone provided a service when their pic was worth something, they shouldn't be punished for someone improving upon what they did. 2) If people spent the money, why make them go negative. 3) Why bother?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree that GG should not be revoked. If someone put in a box cover pic at some point, that was useful. Someone then put in a better box cover, doesn't make the other one less useful when there wasn't an alternative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I second these ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
The off-topic tangent that spawned from this thread has been split off and can be found here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1111476#1111476

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Can I get MY "GG"s BACK then? surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Octavian wrote:
The off-topic tangent that spawned from this threat has been split off and can be found here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1111476#1111476

-MMM

Did you mean "threat" or "thread" lol seems both are appropriate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Pinguet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with that a remove picture submission is sorely needed.
I also think there should be no GG reward for deletion, to keep it to a minimum. A 2/3 rd approval sounds good too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.