wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,

I was interested in maybe trying some solitaire talisman using the actual physical board game (I enjoy the tactile nature of an actual real board game and the look and feel of the components) and was wondering if the base game has all the same cards as the digital game and can be played in the same manner or if they created special cards for the digital edition that are missing from the physical boardgame?

Thanks and have a great day!

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not an expert here, I do own the game and have toyed with it several times, and follow info on it, at the FFG thread, but haven't even finished a game.

But as I understand it there are no new cards, however, there are extras you can buy. I forget what they are called, but there are cards/items that effect how the game is played, runestones maybe? I don't remember, I don't have any of those. There are also characters you can buy and they have effects that are not in the actual physical game. And yes I have bought some of those new characters.

Now that the Dungeon is out, I plan on playing more, but haven't yet.

Hold on, I just noticed you said Prologue and not the Digital version. While I have also toyed with Prologue, I no longer have it, and have less info about it than the Digital version.

Hmm... you said Prologue Digital, so not sure which you mean...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dogma-sorry for the confusion. I meant the prologue (which is a digital game)and if it had different cards than the real cardboard physical board game has and if the rules for prologue (the phone/tablet based game) could be used to play 1 character on the actual cardboard "real" game solo.

There is also a "Talisman: Digital" which is part of the confusion. "Digital" as I understand it is just a port of the regular Talisman multiplayer game with option for AI to play the other players and "Talisman: Prologue" is advertised as a "completely new way to play talisman" as a solo experience with each character having quests/objectives to complete and is supposed to be a quicker game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clarified, so I can't answer your question, with my limited play, I think it has the same cards, but have have limited surety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a very experienced Talisman player, tabletop and digital, I can tell you that Prologue has all the adventure cards of the base game and no extras for the digital version. It's been a while since I played the Prologue version, but I think I might remember that some spells that would affect other (non-existant) players might have been taken out.

If you try playing the tabletop version like Prologue, with only one character, you might look into taking out spells that are only used to affect other players (ex. Mesmerism).

I used to play tabletop solo all the time and just ran more than one character. The digital version of the full game is pretty good too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Tutwiler
United States
Centerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I ought to mention that, while the cards are the same (as mentioned above), the board game does NOT come with the quests that you are sent on in the Prologue (i.e. Defeat the Dragon, Defeat the three bandits, deliver a potion, etc).

The board game only has one "quest" which is to make it to the center of the board and claim the Crown of Glory. There are alternate ending cards in the various expansions that modify this, but I believe they all still involve you battling your way to the center of the board and dealing with whatever happens to be there.

That said, there is really nothing else to prevent you from enjoying the game solo. I usually play with more than one character just for variety, and to add the "race" aspect of the multi-player game.

- Warren
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
NewbieGamingDad wrote:
I thought I ought to mention that, while the cards are the same (as mentioned above), the board game does NOT come with the quests that you are sent on in the Prologue (i.e. Defeat the Dragon, Defeat the three bandits, deliver a potion, etc).

The board game only has one "quest" which is to make it to the center of the board and claim the Crown of Glory. There are alternate ending cards in the various expansions that modify this, but I believe they all still involve you battling your way to the center of the board and dealing with whatever happens to be there.

That said, there is really nothing else to prevent you from enjoying the game solo. I usually play with more than one character just for variety, and to add the "race" aspect of the multi-player game.

- Warren
I would add that, if giving quests to a single hero, like the Prologue does, it could be interesting to record the number of turns taken to achieve the goal - which will allow you to try to beat your previous scores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the replies, ideas and insights. They are much appreciated! So, from what I have read, it seems like that even though the quests are not provided with the physical copy of the game they could be written down from Talisman: Prologue and used with the physical copy of the card since all the other cards are the same? And as has been suggested you could keep track of how many turns it takes to complete each quest to give you a score to improve upon? Sound about right? It also sounds like a great way to get to know the game and to see how each of the characters plays differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
michael4928 wrote:
Sound about right?
Yes.
michael4928 wrote:
It also sounds like a great way to get to know the game and to see how each of the characters plays differently.
I find solo playing 2-3 heroes and following the usual rules of the game more interesting - as one discovers the interaction possibilities between heroes.
Of course, as when soloing non specifically coop/solo games, one has to play each hero at best. But Talisman is not a very complicated game from a strategical point of view, so it is not too difficult to play that way (the only problem would be spells - but playing "as if" would do it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.