Mitch Lavender
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
Klaatu barada nikto.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played our first game of Bootleggers (4 players). We made some rookie mistakes but enjoyed the game. That said, we had some questions:

1. The rules state the game ends after the 12th round, or the "first round in which a Mobster has accumulated at least $100G."

At least two of the players in the game hit $100G by turn 7. We played on, for the full 12 turns, with the winning player having ~$270G. Is it normal for a player to hit $100G so quickly? I ask because it happened so quickly, I wonder if we were over-paying, running up our bankrolls more quickly than we should have.

2. We also used Volstead Imports, even though the rules said to only use it in a 6 player game and we had 4. This was a mistake on our part, but trying to gain influence there on that Speakeasy was the funniest part of the game. Why is this Speakeasy closed to less than 6 players?

3. Once Influence Markers are placed, there is only a few opportunities (via Men of Action cards) that can remove influence that is already placed. Is there no way for the Mobsters to battle it out except for a few cards?

Any input on this is appreciated. Looking forward to trying out The Boardwalk expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Huntington
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad you enjoyed the game. I've been a fan of it for a long time and it doesn't see my table as often as it should.

1. That seems faster than usual, but since you were playing with the last speakeasy, the money was flying faster than usual. The other thing to consider is were you following all the rules when selling the hooch: buy limits unless you're at O'Malley's, playing speakeasy improvements correctly, priority selling, etc. There are some confusing things if you're not paying attention.

2. It's closed because it requires more influence than you'll usually have in a 4-player game if you're going to open any more speakeasies. A big part of the strategy usually is trying to achieve controlling influence in a speakeasy so you can graft off others selling there. There's not much help in opening the small ones if all the influence is going to the last one.

3. Nope, there are only the few cards. Part of that is to control the tension in my opinion, and the other reason is that you don't get many additional influence markers during the game so losing them frequently would make the game really difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Lavender
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
Klaatu barada nikto.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply, Jeffrey.

After a re-read of the rules, we did goof-up on the Speakeasy improvements. Rather than +1 to each die rolled, we added a die (i.e. if the consumption was 1 die, with an improvement it would be 2 dice.) That might account for how we got so much money by the 7th turn.

We also goofed-up on the next to last Speakeasy, which says you get "2G (3G < 6 mobsters)." Of course, Mobster = players. We didn't have the terminology right and interpreted "mobster" as "influence marker." So we complained that it didn't make any sense, but if you had less than 6 influence markers, we got 3G a crate, and if you had more than 6 influence markers, we got 2G per crate.

Sigh. First play-through. Next time will be better.

I agree that it is a fun game and the theme really comes through. Just showing the bits (the trucks and influence markers, cards,etc) had my some in my gaming group asking to play it.

I have the boardwalk expansion, but may wait and play a regular game through (correctly) before we give it a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Beyer
United States
Northville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, don't take free inluence every round! The wording on the family stills is a little confusing and somehow escaped the 2nd edition unchanged.

I a also glad you enjoyed the game and looking forward to your impressions of the expansion.

D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Huntington
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MitchLav wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply, Jeffrey.

After a re-read of the rules, we did goof-up on the Speakeasy improvements. Rather than +1 to each die rolled, we added a die (i.e. if the consumption was 1 die, with an improvement it would be 2 dice.) That might account for how we got so much money by the 7th turn.

I have the boardwalk expansion, but may wait and play a regular game through (correctly) before we give it a try.

Yep, that's the exact same mistake we made with speakeasy improvements the first time we played. The rules for them could have better pointed out.

I don't have the boardwalk expansion because I have the old Eagle Games version. You'll have to let us know what you think of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Lavender
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
Klaatu barada nikto.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
angelotti wrote:
Also, don't take free inluence every round! The wording on the family stills is a little confusing and somehow escaped the 2nd edition unchanged.

Doh!

We *did* take an influence marker every turn (and on turns 4 and 8, the lowest player took any extra one). That was due to the wording on the family stills. The rule book states it more clearly.

Wow. With everything we did wrong, playing it right will be like a whole new game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fitch
United States
Vallejo
California
flag msg tools
With that all said most of our games seem to last thru 9-10 rounds when some one declares at the end of the round that they have over 100K and tries to win the game by having the most money. We never seem to make it to 12 rounds. Last game the other day the player could have won it at the end of seven rounds but then won it at the end of eight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.