Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So here's the deal. Defenders of the Realm is $100 on Amazon and out of stock on CSI (where it is a much more tolerable $55), and I need something to after-the-fact self-gift. In prevoius years, I have done this with Small World or Tash-Kalar. But this year I'm (thinking about) getting THE game, whatever that might be. And that game, THE game, would hopefully do something similar to what Android does. From my understanding, Android is a game based on story, with the added bonus that it has remotely decent mechanics. Now, the game does have a few problems, mainly that it is not 2 players and even less-so soloable. But the idea that a game could tell a story with as much immersion as I'm assuming Android has is tempting. Are there any games like Android that are... better? Or at least better suited to my needs?

Some things to look out for:
1. The closest thing I have to what I would want from Android is Mage Knight. And Mage Knight is a great game. It's only "problem" (and by "problem," I don't mean a bad thing; rather, different from the experience that I would be looking for in this game... kinda hard to word it right- anyways) is that it tells a more abstract story and is a very heavy affair.

2. A sci-fi theme would be cool. Or just future/dystopia. Probably not Cthullu.

3. No Tales of the Arabian Nights. From what I understand, that game fails on the "remotely decent mechanics" qualification. I want some meat to this game, a nice meal to accompany my story.

4. 1-2 players is pretty big here. I rarely get the people together to play more than that. As much as I don't love solo games, it is a much more realistic goal than a huge 6 player game. That said, I would like to play with 3-4 players if necessary.

5. I think I should mention here that I didn't like Robinson Crusoe. I don't know. It is a game that seems to fit what I want but for some reason utterly failed for me.

To be honest, I doubt what I want exists. But I know that if it can be found, the geeks here will help me find it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
rpg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars Imperial Assault! Sci-Fi 2-5 players campaign with story missions, developing heroes, side missions, miniatures, and Star Wars!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably Richard's idea though Android is good but very much a euro with a storyline and game on top of it. Winning is highly all about getting points over solving any crime, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind going down the RPG route, Remember Tomorrow hits most of your selling points:

Plays both sci-fi and noir well, which is the Android universe
Plays fairly well with 2 players (as no single player is the full-time GM)
Heavy emphasis on story w/ elegant, easy-to-learn mechanics
Added benefit: Cheap as hell ($5 PDF, +$10 worth of 10-sided dice)

HIGHLY recommended if you're cool with RPGs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Diemer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would highly recommend checking out Shadowrun: Crossfire. I think it has everything you are looking for.

It is based from some what of a story set in the Shadowrun universe. You are a runner trying to fight off the evil corporations that have overtaken governments and keep running/fighting each game.

It has solo play, and an RPG element so you can eventually level up your character. It also has great mechanics despite what some people say about it being way too hard.

I highly recommend checking out the full Runthrough of the game by Rahdo, or at the very least check out his thoughts on his top 10 of 2014 where it ranked first for the year in his opinion.

I could have misunderstood your original post, but I believe it has everything you are looking for and is very worthy of you checking it out. It is on my wishlist for the next chunk of change that I have.

Let us know what you decide and how you like it because I for one am looking for something similar.

EDIT: Actually, you may be looking for more of a story than this game provides. I kind of envision stories that could provide the mission I'm running in my own head when I play games like this, but the game itself doesn't give much of a story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite the official player count, Android plays 2 players very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Wright
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I haven't found another game that comes even remotely close to attempting to do what Android does, and I think it does it very well, despite its detractors. And not only is it very playable with 2 players, many seem to argue that it works BEST with 2 players. It's certainly a much more manageable length.

There's also a pretty well-liked solo variant that I've printed out the rules for and read it seems like it will work very well, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet myself.

That said, for a meaty game that also tells a great story, you could also check out Duel of Ages II . It works great with 2, but isn't really much of a solo game.

Hope that helps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've seen of Android, I own it but haven't gotten it to the table much, its lack of expansions will lead to the various character stories playing out pretty quickly. There is enough gameplay there for the game to continue to be replayable but it will lack the wow of discovery that the first few games have. I have played it 2 player and I thought it worked OK but probably would work better with 3 or 4.

You said you don' want Cthulhu but Arkham Horror and Eldritch Horror are soloable (with 1 or more characters) and later expansions of Arkham try to add more personality to the characters. Mansions of Madness needs at least 2 because its a 1 vs all and Mansions can have the mini-puzzles show up in certain missions.

I'm going to assume you don't want the card-only "make the story yourself" of Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, or the high theme but divisive Sentinels of the Multiverse (or even the Sentinel Tactics miniatures version) because many will say they aren't as "meaty" but they immerse ME so maybe they're worth looking at. In Pathfinder you'll be giving your character his personality but I'm quite attached to my deck of under 20 cards and in Sentinels, the characters are more fleshed out through their flavor text and the way each heroes deck feels different.

But the game I'm going to suggest is Middle Earth Quest. YOu can't solo it, but it plays fine with 2,3,or 4 as its a 1 vs all. It doesn't go as far as Android in trying to give the characters personality but the characters at least have their own powers/ quests and Sauron is playing a completely different game than the players. Of course, your in Middle Earth (again?) so that could be a plus or minus depending on your view. For the heroes, they are using their cards for movement and battle and can slightly improve in-game. Sauron is trying to get his plots in motion and prevent the heroes from finishing their missions by loading up the board with monsters and bluffs. And who doesn't want to be sauron ?

None of them are perfect, but Android isn't perfect either. Do some research, get your 2-player partner's input, and pick up 1or2 of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Like said above, Android plays just fine with 2 players. (And there is at least one solo variant in development.)

We played a 3-player Android game a few days ago, it took about 5 hours. The 5 characters and multiple cases with their special ongoing conditions/effects and random events do allow quite many games without it feeling the same. On the other hand, me getting the game played about once a year means it will take a long time to even go through every case. And the long time between plays makes every game like the first one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Connell
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
Star Wars Imperial Assault! Sci-Fi 2-5 players campaign with story missions, developing heroes, side missions, miniatures, and Star Wars!

With one player being the Overseer and the other playing multiple chars it's not the best 2 player game much less 1 as the OP is looking for unless I read him wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason, my sense of all-consuming materialism died down a little, and maybe I won't actually self-gift myself (well, maybe Defenders when it becomes more available ).

That being said, if something pops out, I might indulge.

(Shadowrun Crossfire looks intriguing- anyone else have info on this game?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Diemer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Miller4h9 wrote:
For some reason, my sense of all-consuming materialism died down a little, and maybe I won't actually self-gift myself (well, maybe Defenders when it becomes more available ).

That being said, if something pops out, I might indulge.

(Shadowrun Crossfire looks intriguing- anyone else have info on this game?)

Other than me talking more, I assume you mean.

I'd just like to say one more thought.

It seems to be a love it/hate it game, so take everything with a grain of salt. I do not really understand why people hate it so much, something about it being too unexpected and hard. I guess those types of players don't like their real life either, because life is also unpredictable and hard. Seriously though, I do know that there are a lot of people who absolutely rave about the game and have figured it out, so it cannot be impossible. I actually bought a couple and it is sitting on my shelf so I know I'll have it, I just need to make sure I can afford to keep it before I open it(I bought quite a few to get the free shipping). If I decide to get greedy and play it I'll let you know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.