Subject: Rank the locations! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is generally intended to create some discussion.

However, I would like to recognize up front that the circumstances of a particular game have a huge effect. I've played games where only one farmer and one merchant showed up, for example.

/Find *your* best location!
Black Smokers

/Get rewarded for doing good things!
The Chamber of Allies
The Closed Tower

/Focusing on one type of ally is usually easy and doesn't actually tie you to a particular type of lord
The Chasm
Oceanic Senate Assembly
The Sanctuary
The Sargasso Fields
Nest of Giant Clams

/Generally middling locations
Sargasso Silos
The Lost Tower
Hydrozoa Reserves
City of Mirrors
The Depths
The Coral Barrier
The Abyss
The Dockworks
The Jail
The Throne Room

/Get rewarded for doing bad things :/
Parliament
The Barracks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In a game today, I managed to finish with three locations, for a total of 56 points. First I got Black Smokers (obviously the best), which I switched for the Closed Tower (second best), scoring 21 points. Then I got the Oceanic Senate Assembly, for 19 points with my five squids. Finally, I got the Chamber of Allies, which is not very easy to score high, and so I would rank it lower (below the other affiliate-scoring locations), but this time it was worth 16 points.

The worst is definitely the Jail, as you usually end the game with seven lords (more if you are lucky) and then it will score only 8 points. The Coral Barrier is the second worst, at least if you have cards in several colors in hand at the end. The Abyss, scoring a maximum of 12 points, is not very good, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R N
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've scored Chamber of Allies many times and I usually get 16-18 points off of it. I don't think this is really hard to do if you are optimizing your allies anyway (which you should do).

I scored the locations with the lords in mind. Politicians and Soldiers are both fairly low scoring (including the low number of keys). I could score 8/9 points with Barracks or Parliament, but I would often do better by scoring a better lord and taking The Jail. That is the reasoning anyway.

I ranked the middling locations together, but there is a good range from Sargasso Silos down to The Throne Room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.