Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rick haroutunian
Canada
Georgetown
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
'As an encounter, an investigator on a space containing an Eldritch token may attempt to find information about Azathoth's true name: he may spend 2 clues to place that Eldritch token on this card'

Do you play an encounter card here, pay two clues and solve the mystery, or, do you spend two clues and just get the eldritch token.

The wording is weird here. 'May attempt to find information about Azathoth's true name'. It sounds like there is a chance you will not be successful finding the information you are looking for.

If you have two clues and you are moving to the space to swap them for an eldritch token, I would say your chances of being successful are 100%. What could go wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
You just spend the clues to place an Eldritch token.

The may refers to your choice of encounters. You may chose to find information on Azathoth's true name or you may not. If you do attempt to find information then you succeed by spending two clues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Seifert
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's may as in "you may choose to do this as your encounter for the turn (if there are no monsters on your space)." You simply spend the two clues, have no other encounters, and place the eldritch token on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arutha ConDoin
Belgium
Dilsen - Stokkem
Limburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the card with me now so I'm not sure about it but isn't there any kind of test involved?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arutha ConDoin wrote:
I don't have the card with me now so I'm not sure about it but isn't there any kind of test involved?

This is one of the rare ones without a test.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickjunyor wrote:
'As an encounter, an investigator on a space containing an Eldritch token may attempt to find information about Azathoth's true name: he may spend 2 clues to place that Eldritch token on this card'

Do you play an encounter card here, pay two clues and solve the mystery, or, do you spend two clues and just get the eldritch token.

The wording is weird here. 'May attempt to find information about Azathoth's true name'. It sounds like there is a chance you will not be successful finding the information you are looking for.

If you have two clues and you are moving to the space to swap them for an eldritch token, I would say your chances of being successful are 100%. What could go wrong?

I think the "may attempt to find information abut Azathoth's true name" is in reference to "As an encounter, an investigator on a space containing and Eldritch token may. . ." - in other words, you may resolve your encounter phase by doing the action on the mystery card OR you may have any of the other encounters normally allowed. Then, if you have 2 clue tokens, you will gain information about Azathoth's true name.

EDIT: oops, overlooked golden_cow2's answer - basically, I agree. Sorry for being wordy and repetitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I'll never forget this card.

It popped up in my very first game of Eldritch Horror and I got a win with it, but ... not until the very last turn of the game in which I still needed to pull a Mythos card ... WITHOUT a Reckoning symbol... as I used my last 2 clues on that name mystery.

And so ... I drew a Mythos without Reckoning winning my very first game. I looked through the remaining Mythos cards and 5 out 7 had the symbol.

Lucky me.

Tx to Diana Stanley and Leo Anderson of course.

Eldritch Horror is a game you only play every 4 weeks or so to keep each game memorable. The second game I lost dreadfully of course.

I am not going to buy MoM just yet. Way too much fun with the first expansion. MoM is for the end of this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.