Subject: Can you stake the Master? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Mitchell
Canada
Sooke
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Can you stake the Master? I know he's a vampire in the television series, but his playing piece doesn't say "vampire" like the minion pieces do. And staking does seem like too easy a way to win. A lucky roll could end the game in 15 minutes.

On the other hand, I certainly think the sunlight rule must apply to the Master, so it would be odd to apply one rule and not the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would assume you can. It is how he died in real life, after all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Chappell
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, the Master is considered a vampire, with all rights and weaknesses.

Check the life track- all the other big bads are non-vamps, and there's vamp hit point shading, so he MUST be nosferatu!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mitchell
Canada
Sooke
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Okay, I'm sold. So has anyone played a game where the Master fell to staking early on?

He was eaten up by Oz in the only game I've played so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher D.
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caesarmom wrote:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caesarmom wrote:

Wow and you were there to witness this? Or was it on the news?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Moran
msg tools
I have been in a game when the Master was staked within about 15 minutes of the beginning of the game, but it wasn't as much of a fluke as it sounds. Good was extremely well organized and used a spell of Evil Summoning to yank the Master right next to Buffy and Willow, with Willow armed with a Spell of Oblivion. I don't recall exactly, but I imagine that some good help cards were involved as well. Willow's Spell of Oblivion fizzled, but Buffy got in a staking and ended the game.

The Master's weakness to staking is somewhat counteracted by the fact that, as a vampire, he can sire people. His many fight dice make that a much more potent weapon than it is in ordinary games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Commorato
United States
Staten Island
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I've had The Master (a vamp) sire Buffy the 2nd turn - a win for the baddies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eding
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yogurt wrote:
Okay, I'm sold. So has anyone played a game where the Master fell to staking early on?

He was eaten up by Oz in the only game I've played so far.

I have played 3 times now. Had a turn 3 Good win when the master got staked by her Buffness and a turn 2 Evil win with the Master Siring her. The last game was the best where we had some good build up before the end. The Master got blocked outside right as the sun rose and he couldn't run and burn so he just stood, burned, and turned to dust.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
mercom wrote:
Yep, I've had The Master (a vamp) sire Buffy the 2nd turn -

As have I...
mercom wrote:
a win for the baddies!
but in my case, he got staked a few turns later by Xander with good cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
aramis wrote:
mercom wrote:

As have I...
mercom wrote:
a win for the baddies!

Doesn't the Master automatically win if he kills or sires Buffy?

I've had games go both ways too -- ones where he sired her in the first couple of turns, ones where she staked him in the first couple of turns. It's not a problem, since it takes so little time when that happens, so we just reset and have another game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
aramis wrote:
mercom wrote:

As have I...
mercom wrote:
a win for the baddies!

Doesn't the Master automatically win if he kills or sires Buffy?

I've had games go both ways too -- ones where he sired her in the first couple of turns, ones where she staked him in the first couple of turns. It's not a problem, since it takes so little time when that happens, so we just reset and have another game.
It wasa our first play. Might have made mistakes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Roachelle
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this game & I'm loving it. I did have this happen the first play and again later on.

I made a house rule:

No one can kill The Master until he is wounded. Buffy can kill him with one stake, but with Scooby's it's two stakes.

The same rule applies to sire Buffy with fangs. (Wait until wounded. Master = 1 fang / Vamps = 2 fangs)

Also, with my rules, The Master must be staked. He can not be killed any other way. (No Oz eating him) =P

I have found this makes the game more thematically correct and still possible for wach side to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.