Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lonny Danchik
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a rule debate in our first play through. The question is about the extra explorer action. The player aid says when you play this you get another explorer, your 6th. My daughter says that since all action benefits are available as long as the card is showing you should get a 7th explorer on your next turn. I say it's one extra explorer per action card so cover it up and hope you get another. Who's right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure you're right. There are two cards that are exceptions to how action cards work, this is one, the other is the one that gives you an extra card slot to put the action cards. The description says "Take 1 additional explorer from the supply" it doesn't say "Take 1 additional explorer from the supply every turn" like the one that says to take an extra card during the draw phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You start the game with 5 explorers in your supply, two explorers in the general supply and one on the score track.

First time you play the "+1 Explorer" card, you take your 6th explorer from the general supply and add it to your personal supply. Should you be lucky enough to get the other Explorer card you can add your 7th explorer to your supply.

Edit: actual numbers corrected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Dane wrote:
You start the game with 4 explorers in your supply, two explorers in the general supply and one on the score track.

First time you play the "+1 Explorer" card, you take your 5th explorer from the general supply and add it to your personal supply. Should you be lucky enough to get the other Explorer card you can add your 6th explorer to your supply.

The rules say there are 8 of each color altogether. One goes on the track, 5 below your cardholder (letter C), and 2 in the general supply for the special cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary S Douglass
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree. Since there are only 2 extra explorers and only two cards, the player should be able to get all 7 of his explorers before the card is useless. Some one else can get the other card and they should also have the right to get all 7 of their explorers too. No where does it say the card is a one time use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vger7 wrote:
I disagree. Since there are only 2 extra explorers and only two cards, the player should be able to get all 7 of his explorers before the card is useless. Some one else can get the other card and they should also have the right to get all 7 of their explorers too. No where does it say the card is a one time use.

There are 5 copies of the card in the deck, not 2, enough for everyone to get 1 and someone else get another. Or 2 people to get two of them. I think it's a one shot deal, not a +1 explorer per turn thing.

If you read the description on the player aid: Take 1 additional explorer from the supply. Keep it after covering up that card.

It doesn't say keep any collected, it says keep "it"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vger7 wrote:

I believe that the more natural interpretation of "Take 1 additional explorer" means that it is done when you expose the card initially in phase A. Since that is done only once per card, each card would get you only one explorer.

If instead this is a general power that one can use multiple times, I don't see where one could get from the rules that this can be done only once per turn. Why not use it twice in a row right away?

If the card was not meant to give you a single explorer one time, then I think that it would have said that it gives both explorers right away, because that seems that the natural interpretation if its use is limited to one time only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I wonder if Feld brings out the rules lawyer in people. I wondered if this is just a simple oversight in the rules, but after spending a bit of time with it I'm comfortable it is not.

To be clear, I think it is apparent that these are one time effects that grant you a benefit. You do not get an explorer every turn. And I think, after review, that the rules support this clearly. Now, it COULD be clearer - but I think the dominant characteristic of arguing against my position is one of being stubborn and argumentative and wanting any advantage you can find an excuse for.

Now on to my reasoning.

There is nothing intrinsic to the powers granted by placing a card using the A action that they happen every turn. And that is the key to why the rules are fine: they don't happen every turn. They are not an event in and of themselves. Sure, they remain available while displayed - but nothing automatically triggers them. The ones you get repeat uses out of do so because they modify the rules to your benefit, and connect themselves to a trigger - where you place an explorer, or what resource you collect, etc. But the creation of that "new rule only for you" is a one time thing when you reveal and put the card into the holder. And it goes away when the card is covered.

Similarly when you reveal and put into the holder a +1 explorer card, you get an explorer. Its a one time thing, just like the rules getting modified by other cards. Revealing the card and putting it into the holder is the trigger that causes this effect. That trigger will never happen again - sitting in your holder does nothing but take up space. Nothing in the turn structure makes it happen again. And nothing even remotely imply that it should.

Aside from the wishes of scheming little rules lawyers with too much free time.

That these effects do NOT go away when covered is the only change for these cards, and it is spelled out in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
from my reading of the rules:

the game comes with 8 explorers of each color
*6* that go on the board
*1* that goes on the victory point track
*1* in reserve

you get the 1 in reserve when you play the appropriate permanent effect in phase A *only*, and you keep him as long as the card in phase A remains in effect (i.e. until you cover it up with a different card in a subsequent phase A). [edit: if the card says to keep it after the card is covered up, then you keep it. but since there is only 1 available, subsequent uses of the same card do not produce any effect]

the rules explicitly state that you CANNOT have two identical rules in play at the same time, so you can only ever have one extra explorer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary S Douglass
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6 explorers in the same color. Place one of them onto the 0/50
space of the victory point track, and the remaining 5 below the
letter C on the player’s cardholder.
Place the remaining explorers (2 per color) in a general supply
pile next to the island. They will only enter the game via the
corresponding cards.

This is from the rules...

It specifically states of the 2 extra - they will enter via the cards.

So obviously if you get two cards you can use both extra explorers. No where does it say the extra explorer goes away when the card is covered up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.