Deus» Forums » Variants

Subject: 4+ players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Any advice on adding 5 or even 6 players? Apart from a new set to get more tiles and cards and re-paint the buildings.

Haven´t tried the game yet, but liked the rules and the game is right up my alley (lite civ with clever mechanics). We are usually more than 4. I understand that C&C is not really doable with 4+ but this game seems faster and more streamlined, so it should be possible?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Giving my 2 cents.

I've now played about 10 games online. This is the first and only game that I've played online. Most of the games have been 2 player, but I have played with 3 and 4.

That said, this game is nearly a solitaire game. The extent of player interaction is bumping up next to other players to deny them places to expand--so not much.

What I love about civ games with lots of players is the politics and thinking about how they're trying to interact with me, and vice versa. You won't have that here, which makes me think it wouldn't be terribly compelling with 5 or 6.

Probably not the answer you were looking for, but it's what I've got!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Marechal
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this game's solitaireness depends on the group, though I agree the interaction is largely indirect.

I personally have played with 1 less tile than recommended pretty much from the start, though it is mostly to allow practical ways to cross the map while moving military at higher player counts. The competition for land remains largely the same so I don't think more tiles would be necessary to play with 5.

Likewise, I'm not sure adding more temples would be critical. Possibly 1, but no more, the larger the map the more players aiming for big temple points can control the end game trigger, diminishing the viability of any other strategy.

And resources are definitely not an issue - in fact I'm thinking of using 4 of each per player rather than 5 - the limit otherwise never comes into play. Well, it rarely would even then but it's a nice consideration sometimes to hoard a kind of resource to force a money-poor player to find a way to generate some, somehow (while not drastic, it adds that little bit of interaction).

No, my concern would be the number of cards in the game. One set is not enough, but 2 sets would make it unreliable to fuel players engine towards the end of the game.

By that I mean that it is definitely a clever part of the design that the deck can cycle rapidly at the end of the game so it is possible to grab a specific colour to trigger a 3-4 stack (regardless of whether you care what that specific card does). So too many cards would ruin the game for me, in fact that is my problem with Deus with only 2 and I largely prefer it with more players.

The trouble is that you can't just arbitrarily remove cards out of a second set, as that would cripple some strategies... so it's damned if you do, damned if you don't.

So, in conclusion I think it's doable, but I wouldn't recommend buying a second set for this purpose as IMO you'll largely ruin the game by adding stuff.

I think it needs a well tested expansion which hopefully is coming further down the line, otherwise I would probably advise just to assemble an improvised player set and make no other change - card shortage might be an issue but it's definitely better than the alternative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rogue Marechal
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On a sidenote, Deus is not a long game by any means, and downtime is low, but I think 6 players would be too much, making it possibly to outweigh its welcome. So 5 I'd play, 6 I'd likely pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.