Popular Tags: recommendations [+] wargames [+] [View All]
Kevin Chamberlain
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 3 qualifications:

1) The game must still be in print. (That leaves out ASL doesn't it?)
2) Must have a lot of counters and rules. As complicated as you can with these guidelines.
3) Must be available for purchase NOW.

I have never, ever played a war game with just counters. My war games to date are Memoir 44 and Axis and Allies. I want one with great flexibility with dynamic beginning setup, unlike A&A.

Please help me out. I have been purchasing a lot of game lately and now the wife won't let me get another until Christmas. And I can only get one at Christmas so it has to be one that knocks my socks off! Remember, the more rules and chits it has the better!

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Betzel
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to check out Viktory II. It isn't all that complex but it certainly has a lot of flexibility and every game is different due to the random terrain tile setup. Comes with lots of terrain hex tiles, puzzle-like border tiles to hold it together and plenty of small plastic figures although there are only four types (infantry, cavalry, cannon and frigate).

I'm not much into war games so I can't suggest anything else and I'm sure there are plenty of other titles that fit the bill. Still, when you mentioned dynamic beginning setup, Viktory II immediately popped into my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
And I can only get one at Christmas so it has to be one that knocks my socks off! Remember, the more rules and chits it has the better!
There's only one game for you.

GMT's A World at War. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/7614

Let us know how it goes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohnenberger
United States
Swarthmore
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there are a LOT of choices. If you're really looking for "lots of rules, lots of counters", the whole Gamers/MMP Operational Combat Series would do. There's also GMT's East Front series, but I notice that only Army Group South is still in stock, so maybe that's not the best of them.

One that I actually played to completion last year and was extremely impressed with was GMT's Ardennes '44. See http://www.gmtgames.com/nna4/main.html. And there are still a few copies in stock. IIRC you can alter the starting setup within limits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Necronomicon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbYcB9ctu8
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumping from A&A to Mega seems crazed, but if you're looking for the Mega of Megas in print:

-Advanced Squad Leader Rules + Beyond Valor
-World in Flames Final Edition

Now, if you want a hex and counter-based wargame you'll actually ever play, I would recommend:

-The Russian Campaign (Avalon Hill 3rd Edition - Ebay, or L2DesignGroup 4th Edition)
-ASL Starter Kit # 1
-Lock & Load
-Target Arnhem (Free from Multiman Publishing)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you should have gathered by now, ASL is in print. (There are modules that aren't, but the parts you need to get started are.)

But really, it comes down to what interests you? You've given some indications, like the dynamic start. You say you don't mind lots of rules and counters, but I'd be cautious of getting in over your head the first time.

Are there any periods of history you're interested in? Are you a SF or Fantasy nut? Are you interested in the grand sweep of a war, or would you like to work on some tactical challenges?

Without that, I can say most everything mentioned so far would not be a bad choice. The Russian Campaign in particular isn't as heavy as you say you want, but is a classic that will stand a lot of playing. (And gets of to a fast start with the initial German attack demolishing the Russian frontier.)

ASL has a large 3-ring binder for a rule book (for adding in extra sections and corrections later). But requires purchase of Beyond Valor as well. (Maybe you can use this to pressure your wife into getting 'two' items.) Assuming you get it and like it, there'll be plenty more to buy that add on to the basic framework. Also, the Journals are afforable on their own and have extra scenarios too. Anyway, if a detailed system of WWII tactical combat sounds of interest, you may wish to pursue this. (Without the 'most bang for the item', I would recommend you get your feet wet with a Starter Kit though.)

Star Fleet Battles is a tactical game of starship combat in a variant of the original Star Trek's universe. It is, in its way as detailed as ASL, but it tends to a low counter density (2, often; a late war Kzinti fleet can put a surprising number of counters on the board, but I don't recommend that...). As a game system, the initial Basic Set also has a lot of replaying in it as you try out the different races and ship types. Federation Commander is a faster and simpler version that also handles fleet actions (more counters) better.

Both of these have the advantage of being large games that are also small in the scope of an individual scenario.

Hmm. I'm about to betray my ignorance of the current state of the industry. What are current 'big games' for the ACW and Napoleonics? (For my own info as well. I'd like to know what would the current equivalent to VG's The Civil War be?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill betts
Canada
Ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
If you are interested in DAK2 then I would reccommend Afrika by MMP. It has the same map as DAK at a larger scale (smaller map). Some of the concepts are the same but Afrika is much easier to learn and play. A good warm up for DAK@

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmb
Agreed, Afrika II is a fun game but I don't know about playing it and then jumping to DAK II. He did say he wanted one with a whole bunch of counters though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just give regular Squad Leader a try?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TedTorgerson wrote:

check

2) Must have a lot of counters and rules. As complicated as you can with these guidelines.

check

check, or money order for $400 plus shipping.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/22843

Have fun. I think this one will keep you occupied until Christmas, say 2050.

Yes - this would be the perfect choice - 9000 counters and 7 full size maps. Basically build an addition onto your house devoted to this game, quit your job, get delivery pizza every night for dinner, and you might have a chance to finish this game in the same amount of time as the war itself took!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing about ASL, is that it is not "one game"

There is the rulebook:

Advanced Squad Leader Rulebook $80

Then 12 base modules

Beyond Valor ASL Module 1 $95
Paratrooper ASL Module 2 OOP, Retired
Yanks ASL Module 3 $60
Partisan! ASL Module 4 $15
West of Alamein ASL Module 5a OOS
For King and Country ASL Module 5b $80
The Last Hurrah ASL Module 6 $35
Hollow Legions Module 7 $38
Code of Bushido Module 8 OOS
Gung Ho! ASL Module 9 $65
Croix de Guerre ASL Module 10 $45
Doomed Battalions ASL Module 11 $72
Armies of Oblivion ASL Module 12 $112

Then the starter kits

ASL Starter Kit #1 (OOS, Reprinting) $24
ASL Starter Kit #2 $28
ASL Starter Kit #3 $34

And let's not forget the Historical modules, Journals and third party products. Good luck if you can call this "one game"

One other issue, though there are over 400 published scenarios, you had stated you wanted a dynamic set up. Many scenarios have fairly restricted starting positions (though many do have a fair amount of flexibility).

Your best answer, this is a big game system, and a big step up. Find someone to help you through the learning curve. Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
BooChihuahua wrote:
I have 3 qualifications:

I have never, ever played a war game with just counters. My war games to date are Memoir 44 and Axis and Allies. I want one with great flexibility with dynamic beginning setup, unlike A&A.

Thanks

Why do I think that you are joking us? So you played Memoir and A&A and now want to do something more?

I second or third "A world at War". But you may also consider "World in Flames Deluxe" with all of the expansions included. devil

Other games are the mentioned "War in the Pacific Reprint edition" - yes, go for this. Or maybe "Wacht am Rhein" or "Streets of Stalingrad". They might come short on the rulebook (under 100 pages) but they have maps and counters enough.

My suggestion: Try to agree with missy on a sum of money (in telling her how much War in the Pacific for example cost) and then go and buy some wargames from GMT / MMP or where-ever and build up on complexity and theme.

Otherwise, if you not really someone who bites his teeth deep into something for a good deal of time, you're wasting your money (IMHO) and just earn frustration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hold on....

Wacht am Rhein or A World at War are TINY games...

check out WAR IN THE PACIFIC

Exactly what you want: lot's of counters: 9000 and lots of maps.
AND lots of rules for only 420 US$!!

Hope to read your session report in 2010 when your first game ended.

Good luck!

-sorry, just noted Ted has recommended this one already, anyhow another vote for WAR IN THE PACIFIC-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two suggestions

Target: Arnhem- Free from MMP's website. It doesn't have a ton of counters but it will definitly be a step up from what you've been playing-and all you pay for is shipping!

Squad Leader- I found plain, old basic Squad Leader to be a great intro to hex-and-counter games. It meets most of your standards and is much easier to get into than even the ASL starter kits because it has a programmed instruction book and much cleaner rules that than the starter kit. Plus, its a good first step into ASL, there are differences but Squad Leader has many of the same basic concepts. Should be pretty cheap on Ebay or here-perhaps you can get it in trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chamberlain
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I am not joking at all, I want my next war game to be a Hex and Counter game with a lot of depth. I am still looking at each game mentioned so far. Thanks again. I'll let you know what I've decided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pombeiro
Portugal
Sao Joao do Estoril
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Why not just give regular Squad Leader a try?

It's OOP, and that's one of the conditions stated!! LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
There are multiple copies of the original Squad Leader for sale on Ebay, right now...

It's a great introduction to a much broader wargaming world!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my two cents here as a wargamer for over 30 years...

You don't get depth with complexity. In fact, it is most often the opposite. Complexity to depth is pretty much inversly proportional. Rules tend to push play into defined areas - the more rules, the fewer choices.

So the game with the most complexity is very different from the one with the most depth of play.

Just my opinion of course

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thumis Dalidalisa
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend "Bitter Woods." This has a lot of excitement and some "chrome" within a nice clean set of rules. It's balanced has nice components. It's been through many editions and is now as polished and clear as a diamond. Designer Randy Heller is also quite dedicated and responds to inquires promptly.

Check out the replays at ConSimWorld for more of a feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Milne
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I haven't seen anyone ask is: what period of history are you interested in?

ASL is a good recommendation for flexibility and variety, but it's not cheap and I honestly think you'd be better off finding a local ASL player and using their set to play (if you're anywhere near a big city, there's bound to be a few). Try before you buy. It may not be to everyone's taste, but there are also plenty of people that would rather play ASL than any other game.

I'm not honestly convinced that going for a big complex game is your best course of action, though. So I'll recommend something smaller, cheaper, and easier to play: A Victory Lost from MMP. Great fun, pretty damn good history, and it's about to become generally available (once it finishes shipping to the pre-orderers).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Von Ahnen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you games to date are Memior '44 and Axis and Allies, I would not recommend ASL. It is several orders of magnitude more complicated. If this is the direction you want to go, you should do the Starter Kits.

The Russian Campaign is a moderately complicated hex and counter game. It is my favorite for this level of complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.