Popular Tags: [View All]
Marvin Ramirez
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i love this game a lot. Have played it a lot with friends and solo. Love the expansions they make and all the changes it brings to the game. My questions though, is will it ever reach a limit?
kind of feels like a ccg where at a certain point the original cards will be unusable do to being to basic. I want more expansions I just don't want my base set at one point to be just another stack of cards in my closet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Hjelme
Norway
Arendal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that as long as you randomize your game, the base set will always be relevant. We only play the first couple of games with a new expansion "pure", after that we just mix it all together.

However, I think, the day will come when each new expansion will have smaller and smaller impact on the game as a whole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Turner
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, I don't think you have much to worry about. The developers have been really good at avoiding power creep, especially in the hero cards. Yes, you have more powerful masterminds that are harder than most of the base ones, so you might not get as much use out of Red Skull in the future, but that doesn't mean he's useless. He's great for teaching the game to new people and is vital to the base set for that reason.

As for heroes, Black Widow has been one of the most powerful from the beginning and still retains that title. Cap is just as useful as ever. Spidey got a boost with the Paint the Town expansion and is more useful than he was when he came out.

Unless UD changes the way they are doing things, the game should stay well balanced and the base set useful for many expansions to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin Ramirez
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Danishdonut wrote:

Unless UD changes the way they are doing things, the game should stay well balanced and the base set useful for many expansions to come.

Thats what I'm hoping happens, keeping the game balanced with the base set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wally Jones
United States
Windermere
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That phenomenon is inherent to all games based around a continually expansive nature.

The power scale MUST continually increase to keep players interested and allow growth.

So Collectible Card Games (CCG's), Living Card Games (LCG's) and Miniature Collectable Games all share the same drawback.

It has been experience the way game developers fix this situation is to simply ban or outlaw the use of older items to allow for a reset. That way they can reprint the same stuff over and over again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Turner
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rygel wrote:
That phenomenon is inherent to all games based around a continually expansive nature.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. CCG's and LCG's need to continually cycle due to the nature of keeping product moving. Their whole money model is to keep people buying in on the new stuff while the old stuff is no longer viable.

A game like Legendary would do well not to let any of its expansions suffer from power creep because they need to sell the base game. It's the most expensive part. They then can sell the expansions, of which they wouldn't want one of those to fall out of favor, because then people would skip it, thus losing money.

There are several games out now that are good at keeping the power creep at bay, Legendary is a prime example, as is the X-Wing minis game. It's possible, but it takes diligence from the designers. We are lucky that Legendary has some great ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Wineinger
United States
Wood River
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
You made it personal. All it did was buy you a little more pain than most.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree. I think they've done a great job at keeping all of the heroes relevant. There are some original cards that should probably have some of the new keywords, and the shards from Guardians of the Galaxy really seem to bend the game in your favor (or at least they always seem to for me) but all in all, I feel like any of the old characters still contribute just as much.

Build an engine with Spidey from the base set and you'll still be cycling through your deck like a mad man, distributing justice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moosey
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumbs down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marvin Ramirez
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MooseyFate wrote:
Thumbs down.

Thumbs down my question or that they are not going to let the base set cards become obsolete?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
I think it's quite the opposite. If anything, the expansions made previous cards better not worst.

Spidey was practically useless in the core set without having more heroes to combo with that cost 2. Expansion brought us plenty of those not just from his expansion, but also Daredevil and Elektra.

Cyclops was pretty much a solo hero only since discarding with him was a pain and his card was the only out for that. Then they added Angel and a couple of the villains and he is much better.

Storm was okay, but she was all about position of the villains in the city and nobody but her could do that. Then we get Thing, Blade etc

Thor while not as bad as the others was all about high recruit, but he is green and most greens don't give recruit. Dark City gave us plenty of those not to mention Thing.

I could go on here about each one individually, but I believe the point is made. The core heroes are much better now than they were without the expansion.

As for similar heroes becoming obsolete, I don't think there are any.
Ironman is very similar to all the new tech heroes in which they are all mostly drawing cards (Forge, Mr.Fantastic) but each has its ups and downs.

Wolverine seems a bit dwarfed compared to his dark city counterpart, but the fact that he is solely instinct puts him on a completely different path for combos so both are good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.