Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Jackson

APO
US Armed Forces - Pacific
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
I've been searching through BGG looking for some kind of definitive list of wargame recommendation threads or geeklists. Basically, for several years now I've been growing my collection of games and at a certain point I'm trying to go for quality over quantity (for lack of a better term) when it comes to "THE ESSENTIAL WARGAMES" we're all expected to own and/or play. ninja The tipping point for me came this last summer:

I'm in the USAF and my wife and I were being reassigned to Japan. Knowing that space was going to be a distinct premium in our new house I made the painful decision to store ALL of my games. The only thing that I brought with me was my X-Wing Miniatures collection. Aside from that, everything else went into storage. My wonderful wife also used that as a trade-off; put the warehouse-esque game room's inventory into storage and buy some new games while in Japan. We got here and found out we have plenty of room for games and I have a hunger to play! So, I've started adding a few games to my collection.

The "in-storage" segment of my collection already covers what I consider to be some staples for modern wargamers and I don't intend to repurchase any games if I can resist it (C&C: Ancients, ASL, Twilight Struggle, etc.).

So, all of that is to say that I'm looking for a geeklist or list of recommendations for what are considered to be the essential games every gamer should have. I don't want to reinvent the wheel but searched for a while and couldn't find what I was looking for. What I'd like to see, is something along the lines of:

"If you're a wargamer with interests in WWII Pacific, then game X does "Y" the best and is a must-have."

As an example, right before I left my last base a friend handed me a copy of Tactics II, MBT, and US Air Force. I really appreciate Tactics II for what it represents and I'm looking to expend my collection in that vein; best implementation of key systems (CRTs, Morale, Tactic/Strategic/Operational Level), best of a genre (Cold War, Napoleonic, Naval, etc.)

So, does a list like this exist somewhere? I'm not against older out-of-print games however I don't expect to go chasing a mint copy of Case Blue anytime soon.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction. I know the esteemed Grognards have already done some excellent curating work so I'm sure this exists somewhere.

Thanks,
Rick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, we're far too contentious to have any such canonical list. There are plenty of threads and geeklists here, though, that you could sift through, finding games which are frequently mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's just way too much dissonance for a "definitive" list. Between personal play preferences, historical periods, specific wars and battles, even game mechanics...there's no real consensus that can be reached.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Such a definitive list would have to account for:

Time period
War
Theater
Scale (strategic, operational, tactical)
Air/land/sea/space
Main mechanic (hex/counter, CDG, Weuro, AT)
Sub-mechanics
Number of players
Length
Complexity
Simulation value
Fun factor
Amount of deviation from the historical record that is allowed/encouraged
Etc.

Good luck! We are still debating if Twilight Struggle is a wargame.... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there are sets (ensembles) or clusters of finite lists.

Clever use of Boolean operators can bring some order to the apparent chaos.

For instance, nearly all wargamers will agree that the best tactical ww II wargame is one of the following :

SL or ASL or ATS or LnL or COH or BOB or CC

A minority will argue that some of these are equivalent.

A smaller minority will argue that none of the above are any good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The wargamer's guide to wargaming geeklists has plenty of that sort of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll have to use the advanced boardgame search here and play with the settings and sort by rankings, read reviews on the games in the top 20 or so. Also use google for 'best XXXXX game' as half the time it will lead you to various threads and geeklists here.

When in doubt, post a specefic 'looking for a game on...' thread, you will get replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
Such a definitive list would have to account for:

Time period
War
Theater
Scale (strategic, operational, tactical)
Air/land/sea/space
Main mechanic (hex/counter, CDG, Weuro, AT)
Sub-mechanics
Number of players
Length
Complexity
Simulation value
Fun factor
Amount of deviation from the historical record that is allowed/encouraged
Etc.

Good luck! We are still debating if Twilight Struggle is a wargame.... whistle

Don't forget designer and publisher, since those are factors for some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I created a meta-list for starter/light wargames.

Getting Started in Wargaming Metalist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.