Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmb
We played the UK/Ireland map last night and were wondering about the requirement to place in a vacant city when adding the 2nd network on the island you didn't start on. Once we got to phase 2, if people hadn't hopped to the other island, they were stuck, as all of the cities now had phase 1 plants. Is that correct? Some thought maybe the vacant thing just meant for the phase 2 plants now, but we went with vacant really means vacant. Did we do that correctly and you really need to set up your 2nd network early so you don't get trapped?

(Sorry if I should put this in an expansion map forum, but I assume it would apply equally to any with islands?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played it as just legal spaces, not literally a vacant city. It seems like the rule is poorly worded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mindy, this isn't definitive, but I played it at WBC, and the person who went over the rules stressed that if you don't get across the water early, you may not be able to get over at all. Obviously this could be catastrophic for someone who starts in Ireland, but it's not great for someone who starts in Britain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It just seems unthematic to lock people out if the cities are not empty. Certainly I could see all the 10/15 in Ireland filling up, locking someone out in Step 2, but for the whole game... it hardly seems right the way the WBC did it.

I will cite Australia, in which all cities are considered "connected" at a max connection cost of 20. If you jump from city to city on that map, you don't have to stick only to the 10 spaces.

I cannot think of another Power Grid map where you get permanently locked out of an entire region if the cities have spaces remaining. The closest situation I can think of is Japan, where a player may never get to start their second network, but they're still not totally locked out of a bunch of open 15/20 spaces.

Where's Hennig when you need him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.