Subject: Change in Rules and Cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up this game on ebay. My version is from 1991, made by Hexagames. In the reviews I've read and the rule summary I downloaded, they speak of city cards that are taken when a group of 5 people have been played. My version has no city cards (the game was still sealed so they aren't missing) and does not mention them in the rules.

My question then is has there been a change in components and in the rules since the original printing? It would seem so. What exactly has the change been? From what I gather, it is simply that a player now gets 3 points for each group of 5 people they play, but only for the first 10 groups of five people. I'm I correct?

Any response would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stven Carlberg
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not familiar with the Hex Games version, but in addition to the people cards (five different peoples, twelve cards of each type) you should have another 60 cards that in later editions are "technology advance" cards. Maybe in the Hex Games version they're city cards. It doesn't really matter what they're called, just so they're five different advances/cities/whatever, twelve cards of each type, and a different color back so they can be told apart from the people cards. Additionally, you should find scoring markers in there somewhere -- in the Queen Games version, those are also cards. Do you really find no cards in the box other than the people cards?

Three points for playing a group of five matching people cards is standard, and it's only possible to do this ten times in the game because of the numbers of cards. Having melded a group of five people, you now get to start drawing technology/city cards, one for each group of five people you have melded, no more than three total cards drawn per turn.

Maybe somebody who actually owns the Hex Games version can be more help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Gonzalez
Mexico
Laredo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the hexagames verison there are no city cards but culture cards. They work the same way in both games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the Avalanche Press version, there are 60 people cards, 60 technology cards, 10 city cards (3 VP each) and 10 monument cards (values 9, 8, 8, 7, 7, 6, 6, 5, 5, 4).

For 5 identical people cards, a player gets a city card. For each city card, you can draw a technology card (but never more than 3 cards drawn/turn). Not having the city cards really won't matter, all you need is a coin to keep track of how many sets you've traded in.

The first person to get 5 identical technologies gets the highest value monument. The next monument built gets the next one, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The City cards were in my Avalanche edition, but not in the Hexagame edition. The City cards are awarded for completing a set of "people". The rules for drawing cards from the second deck are the same.

The only difference is the three points for each city. This is not a big deal, as the points for sets are more important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Not having the city cards really won't matter, all you need is a coin to keep track of how many sets you've traded in.

Or you could just count the number of sets you've played to the table!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.