Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick rules question.

German army besieges a space. Russian army moves and cuts off supply to that German army, leaving it OOS. Is the German army still besieging that square if OOS? I know it can take no action.

Why does this matter? German armies then cut off the original supply of the Russian army that cut off the other besieging German army so the only possible supply for that Russian army would be through the province the German army is in.

Is the Russian army OOS? IIRC one of the rules says that no matter what supply doesn't run through a space with an army, even OOS. Is the German army still besieging either?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gary (from Illinois),

In my opinion, the point is mute.

Whether or not the fort is besieged, the German Army unit cuts supply to the Russian unit.

If the turn ends this way, then both the German Army and the Russian Army are permanently removed.

The Attrition phase happens prior to the Siege Phase, so no Siege dr is made.

But to answer your question, the German Army is still besieging the fort. No rule exists to determine the "besiegedness" of a fort except to define the number and types of units required.

I can't imagine a situation where it would matter. The space is either in supply or it is not. The unit in the space blocks supply to enemy units. The Attrition Phase comes before the Siege Phase.

Later,
Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle Zentis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understand your question correctly, both armies would be OOS, and once the army besieging the fort is removed, the fort will no longer be under siege.

If I recall correctly, the rules explicitly state that supply is calculated simultaneously, so removing army A that's cutting off army B's supply does NOT reestablish army B's line of supply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I agree. If both armies are OOS, both die during the attrition phase, and the siege is lifted so the fort survives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fort survives...

And as an added note, undestroyed fort spaces are never out of supply. The units in a fort space can be out of supply (even if in a friendly fort space). This is important during attrition. If a space would change control during attrition, enemy undestroyed fort spaces do not change control (see 14.3.6 where it's worded much better).

When it comes to PoG, there's never a "quick rules question."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with your interpretations. It seems obvious now that the fort would not be besieged and it doesn't matter anyway--the siege phase would never be reached.

On the other question, I think you're right that you have to go with the rule that any enemy army, OOS or not, cuts supply, and therefore the Russian army does not trace supply through the space with the OOS German army.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.