Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Conley
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been astonished at the number of counters in this game that are not cut squarely.

Only having played the 1942 campaign once so far, I've nonetheless realized that the vast majority of counters in the game are not cut very well.

As a recent counter clipping convert, I decided that my approach to clipping this game would be as-you-go. Specifically, I fed all of the basic reusable counters (objectives, supply points, CV wings) into the 2mm cutter during setup, and the rest got rounded whenever the unit was destroyed in play (it seemed a fitting ceremony). Many of the corners wouldn't even clip as the cutter requires a square edge to seat properly.

I found all kinds of shapes among the 'squares' and 'rectangles,' mainly goofy trapezoids.

This is my first game from Dan Verssen (also my first solitaire-only design). Are all of them so poorly cut?

I tempered my expectations from a Kickstarter production, of course. But it seems to me that putting this series of cuts onto such quality cardstock was (at best) optimistic, considering the pretty delicate art design on the counters:

Each features a very thin, bleed-edged flag graphic running the entire (left or right) edge. Pulling this off required greater cutting tolerances, not lesser.

I am left with the feeling that the cutter just butchered the work.

Next time I play I'll try to take some sample photos. Apologies in advance for the rant without the visual evidence..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
My counters are similarly misshapen. Not all or even most are like that, but a fair number are. It won't affect my enjoyment of the game but it is slightly disappointing. This is my fifth DVG game and the first where I've seen any less than stellar counters in regard to misscuts.

I also have seen some counters where the flags on the counter edge were negatively affected by the tight tolerances you described.

I wonder if they used a different printer this time? I can live with it, but it's a little disappointing for a hundred dollar game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess you were unlucky. These are some of the nicest counters I've ever seen. Tiny, really tiny, unevenness at the edges of a very small percentage of them but barely noticeable at all when punching and not noticeable at all when playing.

I can't imagine why you would want to clip them all, but to each their own. I think I saw 2 out of over a 1000 whose edges were a little ragged after I punched them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
remo williams
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't yet taken on the daunting task of rounding / sorting / storing the counters yet, but I'm hoping I don't find that they are out of square - that just annoys me to no end.

I'll report back once I get everything done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michal
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
Here are few examples of mine. There is just too many of them to put them in picture.

Shapes I spotted:
-trapezoids
-rhombus
-parabolic
-hyperbolic

To be fully honest there were also few square.

It seems that all countersheets were cut with same tool which was not molded properly.

First thought: Australian counter - than - nope it is not.

I'm aware that this is printer issue. It is not what we were expected. By counter design I would guess it is also not what Dan had in mind.

I only hope that Dan will change printer for future games.

While my first games HL:CAO and PLD were good quality and I dare to say FCR was the best quality game ever (despite fronts were printed on countersheet backs, the counters had perfect shape and synthetic feeling like the carboard had some plastic mixed), it would seem that quailty slowly was falling down with my next games: TAL reprint, Warfighter.
Now with FCN on shelf I can say that this the worst quality game I ever had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
remo williams
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I did all the punching, trimming and sorting yesterday and there are a lot of counters with issues. Lots of odd repeated shapes and what looks like die mismatch punching leaving many of the smaller counters with the odd chewed effect I've seen in other photos. The poor punch alignment also leaves lots of counters with parts of their flags shifted off left or right which is annoying to the eye.

Needless to say, indeed lots of counters not square.

I clipped the smaller counters with a 2mm radius which fixed up most of the 'chewed' areas, and the really odd shape ones got a corner trimmed at 3mm.

The large ship counters all needed 3mm radius to bring them into some semblance of consistency.

Now I would have rounded the counters anyhow (though probably would have preferred 2mm on the ships as well) so I won't say it was extra work to make them somewhat uniform and presentable - but out of the box they are kind of a mess...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.