Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Megan Caldwell
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this card multiply on itself? If you start at a port after having been sunk, use your movement, any fortune card bonuses, and the four extra spaces to make it to a port to sell your goods, do you then get an additional four extra spaces for loading again?

Seems overpowered if it does...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
vegemitesandwhich wrote:
Does this card multiply on itself? If you start at a port after having been sunk, use your movement, any fortune card bonuses, and the four extra spaces to make it to a port to sell your goods, do you then get an additional four extra spaces for loading again?

Seems overpowered if it does...

I don't recall the exact text of the card and my copy of the game is in the car right now. But I would think it only triggers once. You only get to perform one action on your turn so normally you can't load twice in a turn.

If you manage to offload and reload in the same turn that you come in off the board, I would say that the initial loading (for placing your boat on the board) would not trigger this card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
This recently came up in a game I was playing. We played that it did trigger twice, someone even made the same argument aginst it triggering that Brian does (ironically by a guy named Brian).

However, the rules say if a player starts without having his merchant in play(because it's been sunk), that player places it in a space adjacent to a port of their choice and load it with cubes of corresponding color. It can then be played normally. Since earlier in the rules it says "Selling and loading is an action. You can't load without selling first." the inital loading when you place your merchant doesn't count as an action.

This is reinforced on the back page of the rules where it says merchants can deliver on the turn they come back in a port after having been sunk. The fast loading card says that picking up good after being sunk counts for using the card.

So everyone in my game agreed that I could use it twice, once on the initial loading and once when I delivered. Along with the six moves on the card I played, my merchant moved 14 spaces in one turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Megan Caldwell
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ElCid91 wrote:
This recently came up in a game I was playing. We played that it did trigger twice, someone even made the same argument aginst it triggering that Brian does (ironically by a guy named Brian).

However, the rules say if a player starts without having his merchant in play(because it's been sunk), that player places it in a space adjacent to a port of their choice and load it with cubes of corresponding color. It can then be played normally. Since earlier in the rules it says "Selling and loading is an action. You can't load without selling first." the inital loading when you place your merchant doesn't count as an action.

This is reinforced on the back page of the rules where it says merchants can deliver on the turn they come back in a port after having been sunk. The fast loading card says that picking up good after being sunk counts for using the card.

So everyone in my game agreed that I could use it twice, once on the initial loading and once when I delivered. Along with the six moves on the card I played, my merchant moved 14 spaces in one turn.

Thanks to both of you for the replies. This is how we played it too - and the card text doesn't say it can only be used once. We'll continue to play it this way until someone official says otherwise!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.