15 Posts

Marvel Dice Masters: Uncanny X-Men» Forums » General

Subject: Is it worth buying just a little bit? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan on buying the Starter Set and around 5 Boosters, because everything else feels kind of excessive if I don't even know if my friends like the game.

Is this like Magic: The Gathering where you need to invest a lot more than 1 starter and a few boosters to even be remotly able to play the game with some strategy (not just: Most lucky one wins), or is this different?

1 Starter and 5 Boosters would give me 18 characters, but only very few dice. So I guess this opens up strategic character picking a bit (or at least gives both players 8 characters), yet I don't know if I can remotly utilise the characters with so few dice.

I know most of you guys recommend complete sets of commons, but I can only get them for the price of 15 boosters, which I think isn't worth it (especially as I have to buy them all at once, whereas I can buy more boosters if my friends and me enjoy the game after a dozen or so plays).

So what would you guys say: Is the game complex enough with just a starter and 5 boosters to really get a game with some interesting decisions, or wouldn't we be able to even judge the game with only so little content?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Who
msg tools
mb
that would be plenty to get into the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Metelo
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, 5 boosters may be too little for you to build to fun teams to play. And if 20 bucks is your hard limit, I would use that money getting some other game that hits that price range (Love Letter or some of the other flavors, TEK etc).

You do need a starter in this game, unfortunately, there is no way out. However, you get a lot of stuff for the 15 bucks.

To be honest, if you just want to test the waters, the starter alone is enough to give you a good feeling of the game, so you don't even want to bother buying the booster. And then you decide where to go.

However, it will be hard to play the game without putting a little more money in, as you will not have dice/cards to build 2 teams to play out of the stuff you have.

As you stated, it is like Magic where you need more than the starter to play, fortunately, it is not as bad as Magic, where a booster box only gets your foot in the door.

On ebay you can find sets of commons + uncommons + dice for a little over 20 bucks. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

That puts you at around 35/40 Bucks in and it will give you enough to build 2 fun teams to play around. Not bad considering the prices of other games.

However, if you plan to take to competitive, it is very likely that you will need more than the 35/40 bucks to play, as you are going to need a few characters with 4 dice, and a few other options to build teams. It is still a lot cheaper than Magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The good news is that early on, every booster you open is going to be useful to you, either as a new character, or as an extra die for a character. You'll have to buy a lot of boosters before you open any that don't help your collection.

My son and I play together, and our first Uncanny X-Men tournament was a rainbow draft, which meant that we each needed to buy 12 boosters to participate. Afterward, I looked at the results of buying 24 boosters and a starter set. We already had more than enough to put together some great teams.

I think the sweet spot is around 25-30 boosters. If you buy that many, you'll probably be in fantastic shape. Until then, 5 will get you going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
metelo wrote:
To be honest, 5 boosters may be too little for you to build to fun teams to play. And if 20 bucks is your hard limit, I would use that money getting some other game that hits that price range (Love Letter or some of the other flavors, TEK etc).

You do need a starter in this game, unfortunately, there is no way out. However, you get a lot of stuff for the 15 bucks.

To be honest, if you just want to test the waters, the starter alone is enough to give you a good feeling of the game, so you don't even want to bother buying the booster. And then you decide where to go.

However, it will be hard to play the game without putting a little more money in, as you will not have dice/cards to build 2 teams to play out of the stuff you have.

As you stated, it is like Magic where you need more than the starter to play, fortunately, it is not as bad as Magic, where a booster box only gets your foot in the door.

On ebay you can find sets of commons + uncommons + dice for a little over 20 bucks. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

That puts you at around 35/40 Bucks in and it will give you enough to build 2 fun teams to play around. Not bad considering the prices of other games.

However, if you plan to take to competitive, it is very likely that you will need more than the 35/40 bucks to play, as you are going to need a few characters with 4 dice, and a few other options to build teams. It is still a lot cheaper than Magic.

thx for your indepth answer.

However I don't live in the US, so ebaying these sets is kind of pricy, because of high shipping costs. That's why I thought about buying boosters instead.

I thought you should at least have 8 characters for each player to really get a feeling for the game, so I thought the starter alone would not be enough to get a grasp of that game.

Competitive gaming is out of question for me and the first impression of a game tends to decide if it's played again with me and my friends or not. So I thought that I will spend a little bit more than just the starter to give a more solid impression of what's to come.
If we tremendously enjoy this game, we will of course expand it more and will probably consider the Card-sets, but I am mainly considering this game right now, because I had the impression that this game had a very low "admission fee" so to speek.

So I guess since all of you said that the starter will suffice in trying out this game, is it worth to buy the 5 boosters from the get go, or won't they add as much as I'm thinking. Again in my point of view the transition form 8 to ~18 characters seems huge as well as the possibility to build a team out of 8 X-men compared to just 4 and those 5 boosters are even cheap where I live. Or am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What you are missing is dice. With only 4-5 boosters, it's very likely you'll end up with 10 different characters drawn. This is a bad thing, because it means you'll only have 1 die per character. Each character can (usually) have up to 4 dice. Generally, more dice equals more options, and a full game uses 20 dice per player. Smaller games use 10 or 15 but no one really plays like that unless they have to.

If you only have a small set, one die per character is playable. It's a game. It's just not really the Dice Masters experience. Part of the point of choosing characters is also deciding how much dice to use. And then when playing, how many dice to recruit. More options equals more player choice and more control of your team. With only one die per character I feel like the game is mostly playing me.

It's important to have characters but I think having a "complete set" of "characters plus a few dice" is more important. You don't necessarily need 4 per character, but I think you need at least two.

As for the starter, remember that while it may only have eight character, each character comes with three variant cards so you can effectively think of it as 24 characters to choose from, except that you can't mix variants of the same character. And again, there's a limited pool of dice for these 24 characters to draw from.

Compared to 3 variants and two dice for each character, what's 5 boosters going to give you? Maybe 10 more "incomplete" characters with only one die apiece? It's nothing you're going to be thrilled about.

The starter set gives you plenty of characters but barely enough dice to make them playable. You'll mostly likely want more dice. If you get more cards via boosters, you also want to make sure you'll have enough dice for them.

So those 5 boosters really won't help you in any tangible way, unless they are just being the FIRST 5 boosters and you plan to buy more later, building your collection over time.

While, those first 5 aren't going to do much for you, the collectable nature of this game is weird. Let's say you buy 5 more later, and get a card that you really like. Suddenly all those common variants you get before that you may not have cared for become more useful because they included the dice that you can now use for your rare card. So, the more packs you buy, the more they synergize with each other upto a certain point because a full set of four dice is very useful, and one set can be used for any variant of that character that you already have or might acquire in the future. It's not like CCGs where you might need four copies of a rare card. You just need one rare card, and four dice, which might also be found with commons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:
So I guess since all of you said that the starter will suffice in trying out this game, is it worth to buy the 5 boosters from the get go, or won't they add as much as I'm thinking. Again in my point of view the transition form 8 to ~18 characters seems huge as well as the possibility to build a team out of 8 X-men compared to just 4 and those 5 boosters are even cheap where I live. Or am I missing something?

5 boosters may not get you 10 new characters. In fact, some boosters have the common and uncommon versions of a character together in one pack. You'll probably end up with 7-8 new characters instead. You'll have a little bit of variety for trying out different teams, but if your goal is to have 16 characters to play with, you might not get there with just 5 packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
What you are missing is dice. With only 4-5 boosters, it's very likely you'll end up with 10 different characters drawn. This is a bad thing, because it means you'll only have 1 die per character.

Again, that's playable. It's a game. It's just not really the Dice Masters experience. Part of the point of choosing characters is also deciding how much dice to use. More options equals more player choice and more control of your team.

It's important to have characters but I think "characters with a few dice" is more important. You don't necessarily need 4 per character, but I think you need at least two.

As for the starter, remember that while it may only have eight character, each character comes with three variant cards so you can effectively think of it as 24 characters to choose from, except that you can't mix variants of the same character.

Compared to 24 characters with two dice each, what's 5 boosters going to give you? Maybe 10 more characters with half as much dice? It's nothing you're going to be thrilled about.

The starter set gives you plenty of characters but barely enough dice to make them playable. You'll mostly likely want more dice. If you get more cards via boosters, you also want to make sure you'll have enough dice for them.

ok that's what I was missing. I had no idea you get so many character(varients) in the starter game.

However if I get one starter for 2 players, wouldn't we all get just 1 die for each character either way? Or does it make less difference than I think to play with just 4 characters.

I thought with the boosters we could both get 4 characters with 2 dice (from the starter) and 4 characters with 1 die and I thought this makes a huge difference, but then again I don't know the game.

thx for all your answers guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Metelo
United States
Kennesaw
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:
metelo wrote:

thx for your indepth answer.

However I don't live in the US, so ebaying these sets is kind of pricy, because of high shipping costs. That's why I thought about buying boosters instead.

I thought you should at least have 8 characters for each player to really get a feeling for the game, so I thought the starter alone would not be enough to get a grasp of that game.

Competitive gaming is out of question for me and the first impression of a game tends to decide if it's played again with me and my friends or not. So I thought that I will spend a little bit more than just the starter to give a more solid impression of what's to come.
If we tremendously enjoy this game, we will of course expand it more and will probably consider the Card-sets, but I am mainly considering this game right now, because I had the impression that this game had a very low "admission fee" so to speek.

My pleasure.

I want to address the starter as a tool to get a feeling for the game.

The 8 character is for competitive play. To be honest, in most games you usually buy 3 or 4 characters, and the other 4 are there to provide global abilities, or as a "sideboard" (using Magic terms) for specific matchups.

What the starter allows you to do is to build 2 X 4 character teams with 2 dice each, and play with 10 points of life. It is likely that the teams are not going to be very synergistic, but it will be enough for you to see the game mechanics in play and understands how the game feels. With that you can figure out if it is something worth buying more or not.

PS - Sorry for the links, but because there was no details on your location, I assumed you could get Ebay itens shipped at reasonable rates.

PS - If you think it is a good game, this may be another option to get enough dice on the cheap: I pick up a box, and it should give you a complete set of commons and (most if not all) uncommons with enough dice to play. Not sure how much it would set you back, but you should be able to recoup most of it by selling the Rares and the SR (or 2 if you are lucky).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

For myself, I started the game with two starters and 20 packs. And I just got hooked from there, buying 40+ more packs, and a full box of the new X-men set.

I have way too many cards and dice now and have started making "mini sets" for my friends.

To be honest, I could have stopped at the two starters and 30 packs and been very happy with the game as a full two-player "boxed set".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Smits
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Nederland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think either buy just the Starter and try the 4 Vs. 4 mode for a little while. It gives a good taste of the game.

Or if you really want to try 8 vs. 8 you should get 10 boosters for starters. 5 Boosters is just below that point where the first few really add to the game. Plus, it's just a 5 bucks difference there. Though understandably it's a big point if money is tight.

Or just play the 4 vs. 4 mode. And decide if you like it. Then if you REALLY want a lot of bang for your buck. Buy the other starter if you can. I understand that's another 15 bucks. But you really get a lot of game for that money. More than most microgames. Plus that would easily allow you to make some fun 8 vs. 8 teams. Maybe not with 20 dice each, but still very playable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, you could have a heck of a lot of fun with just the starter. And because it is trying to lead you into the rest of the purchases, it is actually a pretty fabulous deal dollar for dollar as far as games go.

From there, go to drafts at your FLGS to get the boosters, then you get play and experience as well as the shtuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cubeconvict wrote:
IMHO, you could have a heck of a lot of fun with just the starter. And because it is trying to lead you into the rest of the purchases, it is actually a pretty fabulous deal dollar for dollar as far as games go.

From there, go to drafts at your FLGS to get the boosters, then you get play and experience as well as the shtuff.

Drafting is a good way to get cards as you keep what you draft and I know I leave everything but the rares with new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
edwin pumarejo
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pick up the starter first and see how the game goes ( it has everything you need to get a really good feeling for the game). If you and your friends get the itch for more have everyone chip in a few $ and run back to the store to pick up some boosters (.99c here in the states).

P.S. opening the booster for the fist time is so satisfying :laugh:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking to set someone else up with this game and give them a taste of the whole set (all the characters) and the cheapest option I thought was worthwhile (for my purposes) was to buy an Uncanny X-Men starter (because it's widely available and cheaper than AvX) and 2x Common Sets of Cards/Dice from ebay sellers (cheapest common sets at the moment). This gives you 2x dice for every common character card you have in the Uncanny Set and a complete set of common cards (+ and extra set of the booster common cards). To save on shipping you can often ask the ebay seller if they have multiples of common sets and some will do a deal with you and you will save on shipping as well.

However, as has been mentioned by others in this thread, you will want more dice for some characters. 2x dice for some characters just isn't enough once you get a taste for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.