United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really love pretty much everything CGE did with this app. Maybe some parts of the online experience feel a little unpolished but that is purely superficial. I can now play one of my favorite games regularly, whereas previously I'd only be able to play it a few times a year. And it's easy to crank out a full live game in 10-15m. Amazing!

But sadly I feel like even with the new launches the actual player community is seriously lacking. No idea why. Maybe people are just that much in love with the turn-based? I hop on to create live games, and can sometimes go a long time before anyone joins, even when the "users online" count is >10. I guess it's just people taking their async turns quickly because they don't seem to be doing anything else.

I'm such an advocate for async, and I applaud CGE's exemplary effort in modifying the game to make it async, but this is really the one game I wish had more of a live community, because unlike Carcassonne, Ascension, et. al. this is one game where that makes a huge difference.

(And thanks to anyone who does join my live games. :P)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My problem is that without any of the expansions, the base game is a bit blah after you've played it awhile because it's just too easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
But the app has the Hardcore deck which seems pretty good if you want more difficult cards? Also given the time-pressured aspect it doesn't really matter how good you are at building your ship if your opponent is competitive since it's all relative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AstroLad wrote:
But the app has the Hardcore deck which seems pretty good if you want more difficult cards? Also given the time-pressured aspect it doesn't really matter how good you are at building your ship if your opponent is competitive since it's all relative.

There is just a lot more variety with Rough Roads to make each round different, and with more different kinds of components so you can build more different kinds of ships. It's harder to survive to the end, also, but that's not necessarily the point as much as making the game more varied and less repetitive. With the standard game and the standard rules you're pretty much building the same ship every time. Sure, there's some variation based on the cards you see, but with the base components there's not that much different you can do from one round to the next anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jono D
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I generally join the turn based games because I just simply don't have the time to join the real time games. When I do have the time, they never start so its always just safer to play turn based!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.