Ron Langston
msg tools
So I just picked up Towers of Ruin, and now have all the expansions for T: Advanced. I have multi-colered xp, grey xp, like 3-4 game boards. Honestly I am confused as to how to setup games as each big expansion seems to have its own little rules or nuances.

Right now we just have an app that randomizes everything for us and we put out the monster types, villagers, etc. etc. that way and pick a random game board. We have never used treasures.

I have a sneaking suspicion that we're doing this all wrong...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not doing anything wrong, as there is no one set "right" way to set it up.

All the gameboards are basically the same, with the major difference being that one might have a location to place familiars. So here are the basics:

- You must decide whether you want to use the forest side (with 4 monsters out at a time, and less strict light penalties), or the dungeon side (with only 3 monsters out at a time, and stricter light penalties).

- For the basic set up, you will select 4 heroes, 8 village cards (with no more than three of each type except items which will have no more than 2), a monster group of level 1, 2 , & 3, and a Thunderstone Bearer. Any of these cards can come from any of the sets.

- When it comes to the different curses/diseases/iron winds, some players just mix them all together and draw from the one pile, other players (such as myself) leave them separate and use the type depending on which cards are calling for them.

- The rest are all options to spice up the game, or not. If you want to use a treasure set, mix in a treasure set with the monsters. You can choose to use the grey XP tokens which act strictly as experience, or you can use the colored version for the added effects. You can use or leave out the familiars (I usually choose from using the familiars OR the colored XP tokens). You can choose to use or not use a Numenera setting. Depending on the card set up, you may want to use the Avatars. If you want an extra tough monster, throw in a guardian.

Beyond the basic set up, the rest are just extra options for variety. So don't feel you're doing anything wrong. Just try the different options to decide which way is best for your group to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, there is no "right" way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Langston
msg tools
Awesome thanks for the great reply! That definitely makes me feel better. Now I just need to look up the rules on how to "mix in treasure".

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raven777 wrote:
Awesome thanks for the great reply! That definitely makes me feel better. Now I just need to look up the rules on how to "mix in treasure".

Thanks again.

That's easy. You just take the 6 cards of a treasure group, and mix them in with the monsters. When a treasure is drawn for the monster hall, place it in the open spot, and then draw another monster. That monster will go in the same space as the treasure card and will be "equipped" with that treasure.

The treasure card has two abilities. The top ability adds to the abilities of the monster that has it (making that monster tougher). When someone defeats that monster, they also take the treasure card. On a future turn, when a player draws the treasure card, they can use the bottom ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.