Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quest for the DragonLords (Second Edition)

Ok, I admit I am a sucker for lots of plastic men and such all over a map. That is one of the reasons I hated to see Eagle games go belly up. Anyway, here is my predicament:

I really want Quest For the Dragonlords (2nd edition). But there are sooooo many games like this on the market. I already own War Of the Ring (and expansion), as well as Risk Godstorm, not to mention Risk, the Ring Trilogy. And I will have to buy Battlelore being as I am a Memoir 44 fan.

So is this game different enough to buy? It looks good, and has decent write-ups. But it is only owned by 37 people here at BGG- that is pretty low. One of the reasons I want it is because,in addition to the above statement, I believe it will be hard to find in a few years, coming from a small company.

How about any or all of you 37 owners (or someone who has played it) giving me your 2 cents worth of opinions? Maybe it will help me get over this struggle I am having.
soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell me about it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeph Stahl
Canada
Grimsby
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.thebrickbrewery.com
badge
www.thebrickbrewery.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Quest For the Dragonlords (2nd edition)- should I buy it
I few more people own the 1st edition.
Unless they made substantial changes, I don't think it adds much to your current collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you trying to get me to sweat over yet another game?????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have yet to play this, but own the 2nd-print run of 1st edition... mixed quality of components... the box is beautiful, the minis very ugly sculps...

But the rules look very, very amateurish... beware.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did hear the 2nd edition sculps were a vast improvement over any of the 1st editions- as for the rules, well, I did hear they improved those, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Bee
United States
Marin County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and played the revised 1st edition (including the expansion), and nobody in my group liked it. Poorly written rules aside, our biggest problem with the game were the quests, which are critical to gaining special (sometimes grossly imbalanced) powers in the game. Unfortunately, success or failure at the quests is entirely based on die rolls, making the entire exercise rather pointless and boring.

Perhaps they fixed some of these problems in the 2nd edition. The game is certainly attractive from a visual standpoint, but we definitely found the 1st edition lacking in depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Quest For the Dragonlords (2nd edition)- should I buy it
I own both editions and am probably one of the biggest fans of the game. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a multiplayer fantasy wargame as long as you don't mind the influence of luck. This is the only game I've seen that fuses a fantasy theme, a questing element, and a wargame together so successfully. Second edition is basically the result of listening to what everyone didn't like about first edition and incorporating it. Here is a brief rundown of the changes from 1st to 2nd:

* Substantially reduced luck element, especially in the scroll cards and questing
* Completely redesigned game board
* New "Companion" and "Prophecy" cards which add narrative and plot twists to the game
* Mana system which encourages conflict and provides more control over questing
* Revamped race-specific spells with varying power levels
* Easier to get dragonlords and new wizards
* New miniatures which are much higher quality than the previous ones
* Illustrated quest cards which indicate what materials are required

This is a really great game as long as you're not looking for a Euro style game. It's styled after traditional American designs - you've got phases and counters and a healthy dose of luck, but it's FUN!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barnes
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can vouch for Robartin's unabiding love for QFTDL- rarely a gamenight goes by that he doesn't have it in tow. I've only played about 3/4 of a game of the 2nd edition and I think it's pretty seriously improved over the 1st edition. The expansions don't really work with the 2nd edition though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.