Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Way Out There...
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome and thank you for stopping by!

I proudly present to you:

This is my second entry into the 2014 Dexterity Game Contest. Race for Airship Island is a racing dexterity game where players use the power of wind (breath) to blow cards around the table in an attempt to be the most skillful (and first) pilot to land on airship island. Race for Airship Island is a micro game, consisting of only 18 cards, 12 gust tokens, and one custom die.

Number of players: 2-4
Play duration: 15-20 minutes
Components: 18 cards, 18 card sleeves, 12 plastic discs, 1 indented die, 27 large plastic card stands

Initial files to come very soon!

Link to contest thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1252248/2014-dexterity-game-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Way Out There...
mbmbmbmbmb
The artwork is near finished for the game, I am currently writing the rules and will have files up for it within a week.

The cards and gust token examples:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Allen
United States
Madison Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the theme! Looks great buddy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another creative idea! Subscribed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Way Out There...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys!

I finished roughing out the rules last night so now I just have to type everything out and have some simple examples made up for it. I think I have the number right as far as particular card count is concerned but it may change with a little more testing. The good thing is the game is adaptable in size for number of players and/or the size of the table.

Initial basic structure in a nutshell:

Goal: To land your ballon on Airship Island (touching) while having the most gust tokens in the last round of play.

Setup:

1) Cards that will be used for the game will be selected and the bases are installed. Vertical cards get one base, horizontal cards get two bases (more support and weight).

2) Players place ballon cards on one end of the table and the Airship island card on the other side of the table.

3) All other cards are randomly placed on the table. At least one high peak card should be in front of the Airship Island. At least one dangerous peak, bandit, and storm card should be placed as well.

4) Players receive one gust token each. Two tokens are randomly placed on the table for every player, the remaining tokens are removed from the game.

Gameplay:

The game is played in a series of rounds where players take turns moving their ballon cards by using their breath. Once per round a die is rolled that effects the outcome of events for the round. The first person to touch the Airship Island with their ballon card triggers the last round, any other players who manage to touch the Airship Island are up for winning consideration.

1) The die is rolled and the effects are immediately applied for the round.

2) Players take turns taking one of two actions: turning their ballon card up to 90 degrees or moving their ballon card by blowing on their card.

3) Players may elect to use a single gust token to gain an extra action for the round. The used gust tokens are placed back on the table out of direct line of movement from any ballon in play.

End of Game:

The final round is triggered when a player touches the Airship Island card with their ballon card. The round is finished when all players have had a turn. If multiple players cards have touched the Airship Island card in the final round then players compare who has the most gust tokens. The player with the most gust tokens is the winner, if it is a tie then it is a shared victory.

That's the basic idea. It does share some similarities to the Grand Flix but it is far more streamlined and has some different mechanics involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Way Out There...
mbmbmbmbmb
Did a little testing this morning, I am currently working on how to setup player turn order to make the game play fairly. I am going to try using four small cards that show each balloon, there are a few ways that these could be used.

1) Cards are shuffled every round and revealed in order showing the turn order for the round

2) The cards are set out and turn order is shifted round to round. At the start of the round the player who was first last round is moved to the last position. The cards would simply be moved round per round to show turn order.

3) The player whose balloon is the furthest away from Airship Island goes first followed by the other players whose cards are randomly drawn.

Still thinking on this...

I am going to print out a semi-official set today so I can do some more testing with "real" cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Way Out There...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought I would post a picture of my initial build of the game. I hope to do some testing of this in the next couple days to smooth everything out. It seems strange but after some initial testing when I assembled the cards I might actually make the game smaller (fewer different components). Keeping it simple is going to be key here me thinks.

I am considering making a turn order dial but for now I have come up with using mini cards to randomize player turn order. I am worried about the fiddly nature of this. I need to find a simple way to mix up the player turn order. If there was a fixed turn order in this game it would definitely give the first player an advantage in the outcome of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Way Out There...
mbmbmbmbmb
Did some testing this afternoon and had a chance to really streamline the game. It is now far more simple mechanically and it will be easier to build as a PnP because some components have been eliminated.

Changes:

1) Bandits and dangerous peaks have been omitted.

2) Gust tokens and the event die have been omitted.

3) The balloon cards will now be on mini american sized cards, everything else will be on standard cards 2.5 x 3.5.

4) There will now be four storm cards, one for each player.

5) The high peak/mountain cards will not have card stands but sit flat on the table.

6) The winner will be the first to the finish, if more than one player reaches the Airship Island on the last turn it is a shared victory.

7) Turn order cards will be used, each one will show which balloon and storm card each player controls. The player in the first position in the row controls their balloon. The player in the last position controls their storm cloud. Both a balloon and a storm cloud are moved during each players turn.

8) A colored graphic will be added to each ballon card corresponding to a colored graphic on each storm card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Way Out There...
mbmbmbmbmb
After some more testing I have deemed this design a complete failure, at least as a dexterity game. I could not get the mechanics of the game to work right so I will keep this idea and move forward outside of the contest using other mechanics to make the game work.

I still have a design up my sleeve for the contest...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.