J J

California
msg tools
The word “None" under RECHARGE on item cards like Amulet of Fortitude, and Bracers of Protection confused me. They say "Recharge this card to...[do whatever])"

But I think this is the way the rules say it works:
You do not have to attempt a check to recharge as part of playing item cards like these two mentioned. I’ll tell you why. The word “none" seems to mean different things depending on where it is used.

Rule Book
Page 15, under "Boon Cards” regarding “Recharge"

"(This check applies only after you have played a card—when a card’s power directs you to recharge it as part of playing it, and does not specify a check, you don’t have to attempt a check to recharge it.)"

I found only two times the word “None” is used in the rules.

ONE
Rule Book
Page 10, under “Encountering a Card” 3rd step: "Attempt the Check.” the rules say:

"Attempt the Check. If the card is a boon, you may try to acquire it for your deck; if it’s a bane, you must try to defeat it (see Attempting a check, below). If a card’s check section says ‘None,' look at the card’s powers, and immediately do whatever it says there."

TWO
Rule Book
Page 17, under Banes the rules say:

"Check to Defeat: This is the skill check or combat check needed to defeat the bane. If the check is listed as 'None,' the bane cannot be defeated."

I did search for discussions of this and did not find a satisfactory answer. So this seems to makes sense from the current rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Re: The word "None" under RECHARGE on item cards like Blast Stone
3goto4 wrote:
The word “None" under RECHARGE on item cards like Amulet of Fortitude, Blast Stone, and Bracers of Protection confused me. But I think this is the way the rules say it works:
You do not have to attempt a check to recharge as part of playing item cards like these three mentioned.

Actually it works less favorably: you can't recharge the cards if their Recharge box says "none", unless some other ability gives you a way to recharge them. In this case, "none" means "no inherent recharging effect".

Someone will be along soon enough to corroborate this with a statement from the rulebook, I'm sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: The word "None" under RECHARGE on item cards like Blast Stone
The recharge box contains a condition that, if you can meet it, changes the way you play card. For example, you play thieves' tools to defeat a barrier by discarding it. But if you can succeed at the disable check you can recharge it instead of discarding it. Items that have "None" in the recharge box indicate that you can't change the way play it. You just do what it says the card. That doesn't mean you can't recharge Amulet of Fortitude to play it, indeed one of the powers tells you to recharge it. It just means there is no check to recharge it instead of discarding it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J

California
msg tools
I removed "Blast Stone" from my original post because it was different from the other two cards used as examples. And Blast Stone does not illustrate the point. Sorry for any confusion.

I like the game. Been reading lots of posts here. Very grateful for you all being here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3goto4 wrote:
The word “None" under RECHARGE on item cards like Amulet of Fortitude, and Bracers of Protection confused me.

Which is why it's good that they removed the Recharge box from cards that don't need it in Skull & Shackles (from all cards in fact - recharge checks are now included in the Powers section).

If a card has a recharge box containing "None", just ignore the box entirely. It doesn't change how you play the card. It doesn't prevent you recharging the card for some other reason, like Harsk's power or a Bandit henchman that tells you to recharge a card before the encounter. The only reason a Recharge box is printed on the card at all is because the designers at Paizo decided that all spells and items should have the same layout, including a Recharge box, even when it's not needed. Fortunately they have learned from the experience, and now cards don't have a space dedicated to telling you not to do anything differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.