Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
As I failed adding Carcassonne Big Box as a new game (Mods don't wish this to be a seperate entry), I'll retry as a review.
So, what is Carcassonne Big Box?

Carcassonne Big Box was produced by Hans im Glück on special demand of the Metro business group (well-known members are Galeria Kaufhof, Real and other). It's neither a new expansion nor a new variant. It's what its title says: A big box full of Carcassonne. It contains the basic game and all four "great" expansions (Inns&Cathedrals, Trader&Builder, Princess&Dragon, The Tower) in one great cardboard box.

The measurments of the box are approximately 430x320x70 mm. Inside you'll find a nice plastic insert to sort the pieces in. On the left there are two great notches where you can keep the meeples and neutral pieces, and a smaller one inbetween which takes the 50/100-points tiles and the starting tile. In the middle there are several smaller notches: four of them take each all the tiles of an expansion, two other ones take each half of the tiles from the basic game and a last one takes the wares pieces. On the right hand finally there is a great notch for the tower. The scoring table, rulebook and tiles overview sheet are in the middle on top of the tile notches. As the whole set already contains the tower, there is no Carcassonne Le Sac included.

One nice thing about this set is that the expansion tiles are all marked on the front with an expansion-specific symbol: Inns&Cathedrals shows a meeple symbol, Trader&Builder shows a pig symbol, Princess&Dragon shows a fairy symbol and The Tower shows a tower symbol. The pieces of the basic game don't show anything. This helps you to quickly sort the pieces after game play. If you still have difficulties, there is still a tiles overview sheet included (see above).

This set is only available at shops of the Metro business group and costs 35€. It's a nice thing to have as all Carcassonne pieces are stored in one big box rather than each in its own little box. If you own the giveaway expansions (River, River II, Count, King&Scout), you can store them in the box as well: just put them in the tower. Note that these little expansions are not included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Newman
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review. Thanks for sharing and thanks for the pictures.

GameGuy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
This set is only available at shops of the Metro business group and costs 35€.

FWIW, in the USA it looks like Rio Grande Games will be carrying this (in which case it will be available from your FLGS and on-line shops).

http://riograndegames.com/games/rio302.html

MSRP for RGG version looks like it's going to be $59.99 (aboug $45.50 at the 35% discounters)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
JeffyJeff wrote:
FWIW, in the USA it looks like Rio Grande Games will be carrying this (in which case it will be available from your FLGS and on-line shops).

http://riograndegames.com/games/rio302.html

Studying the red box-out on that picture, I noticed that the US version also includes "The River".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike LeDuc
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont' see a date when this will be released... any idea?

as I'm a new gamer and was thinking of pickign this up... I might wait for the "big box" instead of trying to find a "Limited Edition" version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Hiatt
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is already released. I see it online to purchase here:

http://www.sphiatt.com/catalog/carcassonne-board-game-p-3266...

Looks like $49.95 with free s/h... way cheaper than other places I believe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks like shameless shelf-promotion... let's see, your username is sphiatt and the website you point to is sphiatt.com, and while you've been registered since March, this is your 1st post.

As I mentioned above, this should be about $45.50 after 35% off the MSRP at most discount online retailers.
sphiatt wrote:
It is already released. I see it online to purchase here:

http://www.sphiatt.com/catalog/carcassonne-board-game-p-3266...

Looks like $49.95 with free s/h... way cheaper than other places I believe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Harper
Germany
Magdeburg
Thuringia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What you didn't mention is that the Big Box changes some of the rules slightly, and some of them drastically. I started a thread about this here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1169111#1169111.

The problem is that we're not quite sure what the status of those new rules is yet. But new they are…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Weingarten

California
msg tools
Regarding rule changes: since I now have the RGG version of the Big Box set, I've posted a few details from the manual in the thread linked above.

My experience with the set has been pretty good, matching Gregorz' review. It's definitely nice having all the pieces in a single box. Also, the scoring table locks in place, preventing the cards underneath from shifting around when you move the box.

I've only had one small problem, which involves the River pieces. It seems like those pieces were added as an afterthought: the only mention of them is in a sticker on the box, and in a small paragraph near the very end of the manual. Worse, though, there isn't any space in the game box for them.

RGG was kind enough to print a "key" inside the box top, showing where each piece and set of cards is meant to go. Unfortunately, what the key makes clear is that there's no notch to hold the 12 river cards.

I've ended up storing them in the tower, which is messy at best--but at least they won't get lost that way.

If anyone has a better suggestion, I'm ready to try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Harper
Germany
Magdeburg
Thuringia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The river tiles weren't included in the HiG edition of the Big Box, which may help to explain why they don't seem to 'fit'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Little My wrote:
It's definitely nice having all the pieces in a single box.

I fit the base game and every expansion into the box for the base game by simply removing the insert and ziplock bagging the expansions. I should also say I also leave out the tower... we prefer the Carcassonne cloth bag to pick from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Weingarten

California
msg tools
You raise a good point concerning the ziplock bags. I set them aside on the grounds that they're not necessary and just serve to clutter up the box--but I guess I'll pull out one of the small ones and use it to store the river pieces. That should be a long shot better than having them rattle around in the tower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Schultz
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the front of the box it says it includes The Princes and the Dragon. Hmmm I wonder if it is different than the Princess and the Dragon. Oooops, they kinda missed that one before it went to the printers. They did spell it correct on the back of the box though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.