Yannick Carriere
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the setup section of the Fate rulebook the starting spaces for the fighters are spaces 3 and 5. Are those starting spaces now the standard setup rules for all BattleCon fights?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bolga wrote:
In the setup section of the Fate rulebook the starting spaces for the fighters are spaces 3 and 5. Are those starting spaces now the standard setup rules for all BattleCon fights?
This was clarrified somewhere, I forget where: Yes, this is intended as the new standard setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expect to see more 'drive'/'burst' openers rather than 'shot'.

Personally, I think it's a mistake to mess with a proven formula, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, Fate rulebook? When did this happen? (Is it a Kickstarter thing?)

Was Shot really that common before? I feel like in a lot of the games I played I was just as likely to try for a Drive (with a Range increase, a pull, or an extra advance on the side) or a Dash. I'm not sure Burst openers will be more common, as with this positioning Shot will hit without any of the mentioned assistance.

I'm a little worried about how this affects ranged characters and characters who like to charge in. It seems much easier to give chase in BattleCON, what with all the advance effects, and relatively hard to disengage. Not starting in melee at least gives a few beats of breathing room for those characters.

Well, at least it's a Kaitlyn nerf?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is great that the fighters are closer. In the Fate rule book it shows the relationship between the bases (Burst beats Grasp and Strike, Drive beats Burst and Shot etc) but it only applies if you are at range 1. At the start of the game in the old setup Shot and Drive were your only options, depending on if your character had large range modifiers. Now it is close I can see a much less predictable opening beat. I relish the high damage opening pairs. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Where's the rule book? I'd love to give it a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The War Against Giygas!
badge
You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas' attack!
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think I like this change. I always kinda felt they started too far away. Will have to try it and see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Carriere
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the responses. I'm also not sure about how I feel about it. I will promptly try it tonight to see how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rook96 wrote:
I think it is great that the fighters are closer. In the Fate rule book it shows the relationship between the bases (Burst beats Grasp and Strike, Drive beats Burst and Shot etc) but it only applies if you are at range 1. At the start of the game in the old setup Shot and Drive were your only options, depending on if your character had large range modifiers. Now it is close I can see a much less predictable opening beat. I relish the high damage opening pairs. devil

Agreed, I like the change. My main concern is the balance for Rangers and Tacticians, but we will see how it plays out over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People are presumably reading the Fate rulebook from the PnP, which was recently released.

Rangers presumably have ways of opening up the range (or at least they ought to).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear, do you mean the $4/flight PnP from the battleconnection.com downloads, or is there some new (free) intro PnP available now that contains the new rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Rosenquist
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe it has been released free to the public yet, but maybe after New Year's Lvl 99 will make it available as a free download.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Carriere
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the rulebook is from the Fate 1 and Fate 2 pnp for $4 each on BattleCon Online (BCO). I purchased them yesterday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel DeMars
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tankbard wrote:
Wait, Fate rulebook? When did this happen? (Is it a Kickstarter thing?)

Was Shot really that common before? I feel like in a lot of the games I played I was just as likely to try for a Drive (with a Range increase, a pull, or an extra advance on the side) or a Dash. I'm not sure Burst openers will be more common, as with this positioning Shot will hit without any of the mentioned assistance.

I'm a little worried about how this affects ranged characters and characters who like to charge in. It seems much easier to give chase in BattleCON, what with all the advance effects, and relatively hard to disengage. Not starting in melee at least gives a few beats of breathing room for those characters.

And a huge Kajia buff

(also, it means Kaitlyn will have to make more early use of her teleports, regardless of matchup, which isn't necessarily a bad thing - there are matchups where those never get used with the old starting positions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tankbard wrote:

I'm not sure Kaitlyn needs to be nerfed all that much. That was a popular opinion when Devastation first released, that Kaitlyn was too powerful, but I don't see that so much anymore and she loses more often than she wins in my games. The 3/5 start positions will maybe change her opening style choices a little but I see this move really hurting her win % overall. Her mobility is quite a bit more limiting than some other Rangers (O6, Rukyuk) and relies solely on her wormholes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.