Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Hansen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there.
Played with 5 today and had a few questions come up.
1. Do you have to take the resource/magic/sanity that your dice say you are entitled to?
2. What do you do if you loose to an investigator and do not have the resources to pay the penalty? Pay what you can or pay with additional resources of a different type?
3. If during the expansion phase you build a building with an expansion ability, can you use that ability immediately or on your next turn?

We also house ruled the House building and gave everyone a resource of their choice from the start and each of us put a disk on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Shanmugasundaram
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Working from memory:

1) Yes. The rules do not state any option for declining rewards. I don't know why you would decline rewards, except maybe for the low Sanity requirement of some benefits.

2) You pay the stated penalty, as much as you area able to. If you have one Death cube, and you must lose two, you just lose the one you have.
There is no spillover, EXCEPT for Sanity. If you lose more Sanity than you have, the excess reduces your Cult (Victory) points. If you have one Sanity, and you must lose two, you lose the one Sanity you have, as well as one Cult point.
No resource or stat can go below zero.

3) If the building has an ability you can use immediately, you may do so. However, remember that when you expand and take over a building, your expansion phase is effectively done.
You can't use any expansion-related ability retroactively, nor can you expand more than once a turn.

Clarifying for #3, since the question was intriguing enough for me to dig out the game.

There are 3 buildings with Expansion capability. Here's what I would do for each:
Cemetery: Will not work in the turn it is bought. You've already expanded into the building. Its ability would change the conditions under which you expanded into the building.
Newsroom: Will work in the turn it is bought.
School: Might work in the turn it is bought. The grammatical phrasing (tense) is the same as that of the Cemetery, so it shouldn't work in the same turn it's purchased.
However, it has no effect on your expansion. Plus, the verbiage is different. School refers to "place your marker" rather than the Cemetery "expand into a [building]".
Personally, I would allow the School ability to work in the turn it was purchased, because of the verbiage, and because it doesn't affect the process of expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOHN CURRY
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Don't flirt with her
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
We also house ruled the House building and gave everyone a resource of their choice from the start and each of us put a disk on it.

House rules aside. I do not believe that you get a resource until the first expansion phase when you would move into the house. This is a one time bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Hansen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct but when everyone has the EXACT same play at the end of the 1st round, we just did it 1st to allow the game to move forward faster

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc S
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to dig up an older thread.
rumble wrote:
Working from memory:1) Yes. The rules do not state any option for declining rewards. I don't know why you would decline rewards, except maybe for the low Sanity requirement of some benefits.
There's one particular case where the reward is optional, but it's for being 1st or 2nd in turn order. The rulebook example specifically illustrates a player who refuses it.
Quote:
...Then, the Cultist with the marker in the first position
may gain two Sanity points . The Cultist in the second
position may gain one Sanity point as well. Update their
markers on the Sanity track.

The turn order for this round is Luke, Livio,
Gabriel, Andrea, and James. Luke chooses to gain
2 Sanity points (he can since he’s first). Livio
chooses to refuse his Sanity point. Luke moves his
marker up on the Sanity track.

http://passportgamestudios.com/pgs/wp-content/uploads/2015/0...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.