Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
So I use a sample action to get a die from the treatment center. My action die is now locked up on that sample until I give the sample away or attempt to find a cure.

Does that then mean that as soon as I give it away, I get my die back into my pool and as soon as I attempt to find a cure, I get it back as well? Even on a failure?

Seems like it wouldn't hurt me to just try to find a cure even with only one die, just to get my die back.

Am I missing something?

P.S. Great Game!

UPDATE

Oh crud found this: Collect Sample: how long are dice locked?...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
So I use a sample action to get a die from the treatment center. My action die is now locked up on that sample until I give the sample away or attempt to find a cure.

Does that then mean that as soon as I give it away, I get my die back into my pool and as soon as I attempt to find a cure, I get it back as well? Even on a failure?

Seems like it wouldn't hurt me to just try to find a cure even with only one die, just to get my die back.

Am I missing something?

P.S. Great Game!

UPDATE

Yup, it definitely isn't that easy whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prisoner of Conscience
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
klkitchens wrote:

Am I missing something?

P.S. Great Game!

UPDATE

Yup, it definitely isn't that easy whistle

Well, that's what I get for reading the rules as written!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James David Romo
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm sure you've gotten it now but once you bottle a sample it is bottled until a cure is found. Whether you keep it, roll for a cure and fail, or pass it to another player, you're locked out of that die. If ALL your dice are bottles and you have no actions on your turn you can dump 1 bottle to free 1 die to give you something to do.

There is a push your luck aspect in that regard: Do I bottle more samples and lose future actions? Am I confident we will find a cure on color X, so I will start bottling color Y?

The worst strategy generally is to be working on more than 1 color at a time. It locks up way too many dice and if you fail a few rolls you will be stuck with very few actions while dice continue adding up. Best to cure one at a time, methodically and leave yourself with the most dice on hand.

And you had asked about getting your die back if you roll for a cure -- just note that rolling for a cure is the last action you take on your turn (Dice Actions/Rolling, Passing Samples, Rolling for Cure, Infecting/Rolling from bag) so even if rolling for a cure unlocked a dice you still couldn't use it that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
klkitchens wrote:
Well, that's what I get for reading the rules as written!

The amount of people confused at this rule shows that the rules are not clear enough. I certainly for the first few games was wondering why I don't just try for a cure when I had one sample just to get my dice back. The rules simply state that dice are 'locked up' on your role card until you give samples or try to find a cure - it neglects to tell you that a) if you pass a sample your player die is passed along with it and it is then locked up on another player's role card and b) the die remains locked up if you don't find a cure!

The rules are quite ambiguous on this point. It's only on page 6 under 'Success > 3' where one discovers that player dice should have been passed along with your sample and that is the only place you will find a reference to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also found on page 4:

“Bottle up” a disease sample. Take 1 die of an uncured disease from the Treatment Center and place it, along with your player die showing a “Collect sample” result, onto your Role card as a sample of that disease. (If no dice are in the Treatment Center, you cannot do this action.)

A sample (a die with the “Collect sample” result and an Infection die) stays “locked up” on your Role card until you give samples to
another player or try to find a cure.

See the bold type (mine) above. This means a sample now becomes both dice together. After all what good is a sample unless it has both parts, the disease and the bottle?

And yes, it is hard to find, and it should have been spelled out a little better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Van ord
msg tools
I understand the logic behind the way the rule should be followed, you are correct: what good is a sample if it's not bottled.

But it's also confusing because even when defining a sample it still says "locked up" until given to another player or try to find a cure, so does that mean the they are no longer locked up when you give them sample to someone else? or that when you keyword: try to find the cure. That's how i read it and have been playing it until i just looked up the clarification.

It should read the sample(infection dice and player dice) stay locked up until that infect dice is rolled in a sucessful attempt to cure the disease. or it should state specifically that the a sample is considered "locked up" when it is stored on a role card. So passing it to another player unlocks it from your specific role card, but locks it up on the person's role card you passed it to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.