Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
david funch
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb

If I was not one to keep up with new releases, I'd more than likely not give it a 2nd glance at my FLGS because of how similar it is to the original box. I'm assuming it'll be the same size as the original because it's FFG's favorite box size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb

I sense a trend...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Holzgrafe
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"the understandably frightening and chimeric semicolon" -- HiveGod
mbmbmbmbmb

At least the box is a different size. (Well... maybe. It's not out yet!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is a bit odd that the boxes look so much alike, but this is ultimately the nature of "branding". You can see it in bookstores, where books by the same writer (and usually of the same series) have nearly identical covers. The idea is supposed to be that it's more important to make sure they buyer knows its part of that product line than to worry about confusing them with different box art.

Still, the could have at least made the tentacles green or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
I like it myself, makes them look like part of a series.

My point exactly. Most people are comforted by familiarity, and it's easier for them to talk themselves into buying something that touches on that familiarity. Perhaps it's an oversimplification, but I do think that many fans of Arkham Horror would be more likely to buy Dunwich Horror because of its resemblance to the original box art.

Not everyone will be swayed. In fact, I don't think most would really care. But those not swayed by familiar box art would purchase it regardless of the artwork. So the reasoning is this:

Similar (nearly identical) artwork will have no noticeable affect on most buyers and will help persuade a small percentage to purchase it.

Different (even of the same style) artwork will have no noticeable affect on most buyers, but can possibly deter a small percentage from purchasing it.

Using this logic, the only sensible choice is to create artwork that is all but indistinguishable because it can't hurt your product. If the box had a gruesome closeup of the Dunwich Horror, for example, it might make buyers question the nature of the product.

I don't know if I necessarilly think it was even planned. It's very possible that the person who approves the artwork is easily persuaded by similarities in artwork naturally. This would explain the common theme of FFG boxes that has been observed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Using this logic, the only sensible choice is to create artwork that is all but indistinguishable because it can't hurt your product."

I'd have to disagree. You are right that similarity in art is going to make few to none not buy it, and some buy it. However, that's only true for players who know the expansion exists. Not every boardgamer goes to a weekly gaming group, and checks out The Geek. Though I am now elevated to the status of uber-dork; (checking out new releases and looking for new expansions to my favorite games) for years, I owned a bunch of Eurogames but rarely had any web involvement. I just browsed what was at the store. In the case of The Dunwich Horror, the box is so similar the casual Arkham player might not even notice it's different from what they might already own, and thusly not buy it.

But, yeah, in all honesty I doubt it will cost them THAT many sales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed this right away too. I think it's kind of funny when you actually list the things that are in both covers:

Woman with long black hair.

Woman facing left.

Woman attacking beast (shooting in one, casting in another).

Man 1 with green brimmed hat (with black stripe)

Man 1 with a green coat.

Man 1 faces left.

Man 1 is shooting.

Man 2 has short brown hair.

Man 2 looks right.

Man 2 is screaming.

Beast takes a bullet.

Beast's blood spurts off to the left.

Tentacle-beast/Hydra-beast are similar in that they have long, tube like apendages or necks.

Beast is red.

Beast is on the left.

Full moon in the top corner.

Forest in background, most prominently on right (though, they do look different).

That's 17 similarities. Can anyone find something else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quizoid wrote:
That's 17 similarities. Can anyone find something else?

Sure:

Same game company logo.

Same reference to being a "Call of Cthulhu" boardgame.

Same subliminal advertisment for Coca-cola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith M. Sandler
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this is like a really sick and twisted Highlights magazine puzzle.

What the hell kind of dentist do you HAVE if this is laying around the waiting room?

--kMs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.