Chris Flux
United Kingdom
Cropwell Bishop
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
Tally Ho!
mbmbmb
So my favourite W&N No7 brush is starting to show it's age a bit and being Christmas I decided to treat myself to a new one. However on looking I discovered that ,I could buy 3 Rosemary & Co brushes for the same price, never one to miss a bargain I jumped in and bought a No.0, a No.1 and a No.2 from the 33 range.

I emailed them before ordering to ask which was the closest the the W&N I'm used to but not getting an answer I chose the Series 33. Having read that the handles are a but shorter then the W&N I'mused to I splashed out 30p each for the long handle options.

Here's my advice to others DON'T!

Here's a piccy of my old brush next to the long handled ones, its seem to me that they have been designed for people who either want to grasp their brushes with their toes or those so myopic they now have to paint at arms length.

I tried the long handles for about 5 minutes then the pen knife came out, much better.

Other than the handles the brushes are great, initially I wasn't sure as the bristles are longer and the No.1 seems a little course compared to the rest but I believe they are hand made so I expected some difference in them. However in use they performed as well as the W&N and are actually better suited to my style. The longer bristles hold paint well with good flow and the points are as pointy as any other I've used.

I did eventually get a reply to my email about 2 weeks after I'd received my order, in it I was told that the Series 8 is closer to the Series 7, a bit late but I may try one next time. Apparently it has longer bristles than the 33.

To concluded I'll be buying more of these as the price for what you get is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Phew -- glad to hear the brushes worked for you! Thanks for the review!

Have you tried Jackson Arts? Prices seemed good last time I checked. If any US painters bought from them, I'd like to know their shopping experience.

https://www.jacksonsart.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
badge
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't find it ATM, but it says, or used to say, somewhere on the site that the long handles are for some special purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Adan
United States
Erving
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a couple of their Series 33 brushes. The price is certainly right (though shipping to the US nixes some of the savings). I'm still using the #0 I got on a regular basis. I like the longer bristles for some things and the brush seems particular good for super-fine details.

Still, it's nowhere near the quality level of the WN7 brushes. I stopped using the other brush I got from them almost immediately. I think that their quality control isn't very good so you might get lucky and find a good brush amongst the bad ones. Overall I feel like they are a good quality hobby brush. Better then, say, a Citadel paint brush (which I've had some good experiences with). If they were available locally I would probably keep some on hand because of the price but they are no replacement for the WN7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flux
United Kingdom
Cropwell Bishop
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
Tally Ho!
mbmbmb
JayAdan wrote:
I picked up a couple of their Series 33 brushes. The price is certainly right (though shipping to the US nixes some of the savings). I'm still using the #0 I got on a regular basis. I like the longer bristles for some things and the brush seems particular good for super-fine details.

Still, it's nowhere near the quality level of the WN7 brushes. I stopped using the other brush I got from them almost immediately. I think that their quality control isn't very good so you might get lucky and find a good brush amongst the bad ones. Overall I feel like they are a good quality hobby brush. Better then, say, a Citadel paint brush (which I've had some good experiences with). If they were available locally I would probably keep some on hand because of the price but they are no replacement for the WN7.

You may be right, I am comparing then directly to my old Series 7 I may also have just got lucky.

I'm going top pick up a new W&N Size 1 once I get to my local store and I'll give an update then. But for now the old W&N aren't being used

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
___Shetland pony___ ___extra pepperoni___
United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I support using R&Co brushes. Hand made kolinskey sable at that price. fantastic. There is some minor variation due to the hand made nature, but hardly noticible, and like you said, you can buy a fistful for no money. I wouldn't be without mine. The long handles are for watercolour artists dude
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Adan
United States
Erving
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hans4rd wrote:
I support using R&Co brushes. Hand made kolinskey sable at that price. fantastic. There is some minor variation due to the hand made nature, but hardly noticible, and like you said, you can buy a fistful for no money. I wouldn't be without mine. The long handles are for watercolour artists dude

WN7's are also hand made and the variation is minimal. You get what you pay for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kennedy

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a tip...
Sometimes you'll see the comment from mini painters; "I don't think Series 7 are as good as they used to be". They're right.

They're not made in the UK anymore, they're imported from "the Far East". They're really not as good as they used to be.

I like Rosemary brushes myself, they're a good deal, even with the shipping across the Atlantic. Escoda are also very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmb
I use the Raphaël 8404 (orange handle tip).
Top notch quality, definitively worth the price (about the same price as the W&N). And still made in France after a couple of centuries, it seems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Adan
United States
Erving
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kensboro wrote:
Here's a tip...
Sometimes you'll see the comment from mini painters; "I don't think Series 7 are as good as they used to be". They're right.

They're not made in the UK anymore, they're imported from "the Far East". They're really not as good as they used to be.

I like Rosemary brushes myself, they're a good deal, even with the shipping across the Atlantic. Escoda are also very good.

While that may be true, I've been using them since the 1980's and haven't noticed a change significant enough to warrant mentioning and they're STILL better than everything else I've tried (though some come close).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Cordero
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never used the W&N or Raphael but I have to say I love my Rosemary & Co. I got 6 brushes including shipping for what I would have paid for 2 or 3 Raphaels. Maybe one day my skills will be at a level where I'll get value out of the Raphael/W&N but for now I'm very happy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fwiw, It's more like Raphael and W&N improve your skills, not the other way around! laugh

Although as someone who may have mistreated his W&N's... whistle

http://handcannononline.com/blog/2012/04/27/kolinsky-sable-p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls