Subject: Which starter set?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike R.
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
Hi guys!!

My boardgame store have 2 starter sets - Avengers vs X-Men and Uncanny X-Men, but only Uncanny X-Men boosters. Which starter set would you recommend?? Is it essential to buy boosters from the same "expansion"??

PS. I'm only looking for casual play with my brother and friends, as a apertiff before X-Wing miniatures.

Thx for response!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
The characters can mix between sets, there's even some characters in both sets. For casual, both starters would be good, but if you're only going to get one, I think the AvX is a better starter.

It's not essential to buy boosters for the same expansion, but that's the only way to get more dice of the starter set characters, so that's a consideration.

I'd research the characters and basic actions that come in both starters and see what you like more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also recommend both starters. If you're planning completely casual play, then maybe not even anything else...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike R.
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
And if i only want to buy one and some boosters, then which?? David, you've said to buy AvX - is it easier to get into the game with it??

I played this game only once, i don't even know if i'll like it. I don't want to make such a commitment to buy two starters...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
I got in to the game with the AvX starter, but then quickly wanted more. I find myself using more of the characters from the AvX starters in both casual and competitive games, but that doesn't mean that the ones in Uncanny are bad. It really is a matter of play style.

If you're going to buy one and some boosters, then go with Uncanny since you can only get Uncanny boosters. If you could get AvX boosters, then I'd say get AvX starter.

Now, if you're worried about not liking the game and wanting a higher trade/re-sale, the AvX seems to be harder to get right now, so that's worth considering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike R.
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
THX guys. I think I'll buy 1 AvX, then, if I like it, I'll buy a second one. THEN, Uncanny starter set and boosters for that. :F

Sorry for being so confusing, and BIG THANKS for help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Banzon
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
michal000123 wrote:
THX guys. I think I'll buy 1 AvX, then, if I like it, I'll buy a second one. THEN, Uncanny starter set and boosters for that. :F

Sorry for being so confusing, and BIG THANKS for help.

Buy them both, not two copies of one set. You won't need the duplicate cards! Or stick with one and, yes, make it AvX.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike R.
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
But I'll have only 2 dice for each hero, and for some you need 4 or even 5...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. H. Horatio
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The Future is a Game
mbmbmbmbmb
michal000123 wrote:
But I'll have only 2 dice for each hero, and for some you need 4 or even 5...

You don't "need" anything. 2 dice is way enough to have fun. Plus if you really really want extra dice you can buy singles (from CoolStuffInc and other online retailers) of all the starter set cards that you'd find in the boosters and they include an extra die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd advise getting the AvX starter if you only get one. It seems to be the scarcer of the two, and while the UcX starter characters are good, the AvX ones are better, with some ( Storm, Beast, Johny Storm ) being a very popular choice for team builds.

If you think you'll want extra dice, you're better off buying a second starter IMO. Singles prices are such that buying them that way will cost more than a second starter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike R.
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
For the record:

I've bought AvX, probably will buy Uncanny X-Men starter, then boosters to Avx and Uncx AND/OR singles from somewhere. The only problem is - I live in Poland, so the shipping cost would be horrendous. Second starter would give me doubles of character cards, which, for casual play, can be proxied. I only need dice.

BTW. Game is super awesome. Just played 2 hours straight with my brother, with our fauvorite characters:

Me:
Iron Man
Thor
Storm
Human Torch

Brother:
Hulk
Spider-Man
Beast
Captain America

It was bonkers. :F Didn't know games could pack so much fun!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Satan Himself
United States
Dead Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
Considering this is a WizKids product, AvX will probably rotate out of OP play some time soon. If that's the deal breaker get UxM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Coley
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would get both, but if you can only buy 1, I would recommend AvX. The starter characters in this set are used in compettive play more so than uncanny from what I see. It is also going to be harder to find sooner rather than later, vs uncanny which should be around till the next marvel theme set drops in may with age of ultron. At the same time, one of each starter runs you the same price as most board games though, and you will find plenty of enjoyment from that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian laing
United States
san carlos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YEah AVX is sold out everywhere I can't find it in my local area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mullins
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Uncanny X-men starters are usually available everywhere (LGS and online) for retail $13.99.

Avengers vs. X-Men starters are sold out everywhere, and going for $30-50 on eBay and Amazon.

Without a doubt, get the AVX starters. Also, it's much cheaper to buy two starters (vs. boosters) than it is to try and find enough uncommons to get the extra dice you need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mullins
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
WretchedSpawn wrote:
Considering this is a WizKids product, AvX will probably rotate out of OP play some time soon. If that's the deal breaker get UxM.

Even if it doesn't rotate out of play, their facilities will be tied up with Dungeons & Dragons, Yugioh and DC Dicemasters. They won't see another print run soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hi everyone! Just joined the forum after having spent the last 3 days reading and watching everything I could about Marvel Dice Masters.

I finally pulled the trigger today. After reading about the scarcity of the AvX starter set, I found it online and ordered TWO copies. Immediately after pressing the "place order" button, the first thing I thought was "Oh no, what did I just do?"

I'm really looking forward to playing. I played some MtG a few years ago, and really liked it. I like how MDM uses similar gameplay mechanics, just with different names.

Anyway, don't know if I'm going to open both for the extra dice or not. My favourite part of MtG was the deck building, and even though I didn't play competitively, I was always able to field a competitive deck that I know could hang in tournament play. Looking forward to doing the same here.

Worst case scenario, I only open one starter set, and hang on to one as a collectible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.