Subject: If I get Ingenius, do I really need Euphrat & Tigris? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both Ingenius and E&T and enjoyed both games. I've been eyeing E&T a long time, as it is a great game with long lasting appeal that scales well and has stood the test of time. But when I played Ingenius I rather felt like I was playing a simpler version of the same game: random tile draws, tile placement and "lowest-high-score" winning condition. Considering Ingenius plays well from 1-4 and looks so great and is so much easier to explain, if I get it would I really need E&T? Thanks in advance for pros and cons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are COMPLETELY different games. Ingenious is a light, filler-ish tile laying game with no long term strategy involved. E&T is a tactical tile laying game with TONS of depth, and is in every way much more complex. Saying that if you own one you wouldn't need the other just doesn't make sense, as you really can't compare the experiences you get from playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to say. I think they are very different games, even though they have some elements in common. The big question I wrestle with these days is "will anyone be interested in playing this with me?" If the answer is yes, and you really like them, get them both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this is a joke. I own and play and enjoy both. One's an apple, the other an orange.

--Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Stone
United States
Sedro-Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
To all my geekfriends, I know I haven't been around much lately, but BGG is still my homepage and everyone is still in my heart everyday. Just so damn busy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree, very different games. I can play Ingenious with my 8 year old, but she wouldn't sit still for E&T. But that's our family. If it's budget you are concerned about, decide which game of the two would be played more within your "circle," whatever that may be, and go with that. If $ isn't a concern (and wouldn't we ALL LOVE THAT?), then get them both!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add my voice to the chorus. I don't get any feeling of similarity in terms of decision-making. There is only superficial similarity in the scoring and the fact that you draw tiles from a bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
What they said!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Stephenson
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I do not run and hide... I strategically maneuver.
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, E&T is the far superior game, if you're looking for something deep, elegant, and strategic. Ingenious is more fluff, albeit clever fluff. Yes, I just used the phrase "albeit clever fluff" in a sentence...shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the groups you play with. My wife and neighbor enjoy Ingenius but when I tried E&T they hated every second of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
One's an apple, the other an orange.

IMO, one's an apple, and the other a breath mint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barnes
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you own Dominoes, do you need either?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Michael, you're right! I do own dominoes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't had enough people weigh in already...

Very Different Games.
Owning both depends upon your gaming group really...

I find it significantly harder to find people to F2F game with T&E because the mechanics are slightly less than intuitive. After a their first playing they are typically NOT clammoring for a immediate rematch. So this game is reserved for the gaming circle only and even then I've played most of my games through BGG on not on my physical copy.

Ingenious is the polar opposite of this and thus after their first playing I've found people more than willing for another round. This is a light enough game and the rules and mechanics are clear enough that most of the strategy and depth can be seen in the first game.

I own both and I don't regret it at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IcemanCU wrote:
Ingenious is a light, filler-ish tile laying game with no long term strategy involved.

I'm tempted to ask how often you win.

Certainly by a third of the way through the game, I'm looking for opportunities to manipulate the board in such a way as to deny opponents the chance to increase one or two colours where I already feel reasonably secure. I rarely place a tile in a way to just maximise my own points if I can instead affect a colour where others are weak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
If you got a deck of cards I'm not even sure why you even need to be here. You're set!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aldridge
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If anything, my thoughts would be the reverse. "If I get Euphrat & Tigris, do I really need Ingenious?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
I think you raise a valid question.

Though, I would put it another way, "Do I really need to spend $85 to have both these games?"

And as many have pointed out, the answer depends on the weigh of games you play with your friends. Perhaps you have groups of friends (light and heavy) that'd you'd play both with?

But just to tweak the nose of certain peanuts here in the gallery, I'd like to point out that:

(a) Apples and oranges *are* both fruit . . .

(b) Poker and 'Go Fish' are the same game.

Game On

devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hell, if you've got a bunch of stones and a Sharpie, you don't even need cards or dominoes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Leventhal
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
I'll disagree with a bunch of people and say that I completely get where you are coming from. They are not the same game, but there are some real similarities in the things you are thinking about when you place tiles.

I think if you have friends who will be willing to play both they are more than different enough to justify both. Given the number of games you own I don't think these will stand out as being particularly similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esarel wrote:
They are not the same game, but there are some real similarities in the things you are thinking about when you place tiles.

I see no similarity in what I think about when I'm placing tiles. The only similarity between these two games is the score-is-based-on-sets-collected scoring system.

--Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Church
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
I agree with all who have said they are completely different games. They're not even remotely comparable. As for "need", that's up to you. What are your needs? With whom do you play?

T&E is not, contrary to popular belief, a gamers-only game. Puerto Rico is such a game, but T&E isn't. It's also great for conversion of non-gamers into gamers.

I'd say that you should get both. Board games are, after all, extremely cheap considering their yield. After three two-hour plays, a game is under $10/hour. However, if a game's going to sit on your shelf unused, it's not worth it in any case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.