6 Posts

Empire of the Sun» Forums » Rules

Subject: Air/Naval hits to ground units rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shinya Yamaguchi
msg tools
Sorry to ask so many questions.

The version 3.0 rule 9.2.F.5 states that a player can apply air/naval hits to opposing ground units if he is the only player to have air/naval units in that battle. And the rule says, "The last ground step in a hex cannot be eliminated due to air and naval hits."

If a Japanese player has two full-stength armies in a hex without an air unit, and allied player generates 60 air/naval hits for example, what would be the result - only one reduced army left, or two reduced armies left?

I am a little confused because there was an article by the Designer in a C3i magazine of 2005 which said, "This is a situation where two reduced armies (which can't be eliminated via air-naval combat) are a bit better than a full strength army, but at the sacrifice of stacking limits (which reduces the amount of air power that can support the defense)."

According to this article, the answer seems to be two reduce armies. But the version 3.0 rule seems to opt for one reduced army in the above case.

Thank you for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sinyamag wrote:
Sorry to ask so many questions.

The version 3.0 rule 9.2.F.5 states that a player can apply air/naval hits to opposing ground units if he is the only player to have air/naval units in that battle. And the rule says, "The last ground step in a hex cannot be eliminated due to air and naval hits."

If a Japanese player has two full-stength armies in a hex without an air unit, and allied player generates 60 air/naval hits for example, what would be the result - only one reduced army left, or two reduced armies left?

I am a little confused because there was an article by the Designer in a C3i magazine of 2005 which said, "This is a situation where two reduced armies (which can't be eliminated via air-naval combat) are a bit better than a full strength army, but at the sacrifice of stacking limits (which reduces the amount of air power that can support the defense)."

According to this article, the answer seems to be two reduce armies. But the version 3.0 rule seems to opt for one reduced army in the above case.

Thank you for your help.

I will have to go look at the article, but this is the same rule since initial release. The two full strength armies can lose 3 of the 4 steps. Only the last step in the hex survives.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shinya Yamaguchi
msg tools
Thank you Mark for your quick reply. I'm glad that my understanding of the rule was not wrong.

I'm honoured again, and cannot wait any longer to have the reprint version of EotS.

Shinya

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Larose
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just caught the same thing as Shinya. The C3i article does imply that 2 reduced armies are better than a full strength one. The rule hasn't changed since 1st edition. So I guess a full strength one is better in all cases.

B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steidl
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Benoitl33 wrote:
The C3i article does imply that 2 reduced armies are better than a full strength one. The rule hasn't changed since 1st edition. So I guess a full strength one is better in all cases.

For this purpose there should be no difference between one full-strength army vs. two reduced armies in a hex. The last step in the HEX can't be eliminated; so in either situation, exactly one of the two steps can be eliminated by air/naval bombardment. EDIT: Maybe you meant that a full-strength army is better from a stacking perspective. That is certainly true...

Note that the rule on who decides the last step remaining can get a little tricky when there are units of different types present. Suppose, for example, that the Japanese have a 9-12 and a 2-6 at Attu. The rule is often paraphrased as "in the case of ground bombardment, the reaction player gets to decide the last step remaining in the hex." (Under normal circumstances, the offensive player would get to assign hits.) But the actual rule language is, "when sufficient hits are generated to eliminate the ground units in a hex, the Reaction player chooses which reduced unit will be the last ground step." So in our example, if the Allies generate 18 or more hits against Attu, the Japanese player can choose to kill the 2-6 and leave the 9-12. But if the Allies generate 12 to 17 hits against the stack, this is not sufficient to eliminate both units, and the Allies can choose to kill the 9-12 in accordance with normal hit allocation.

In general, when something in a c3i article seems to contradict the rules, go with the rules. Same principle when something on the player aid contradicts the rules. Not to say that we caught everything in the rules, but the odds are much greater that the rules are correct. And, of course, this is always a good place to check if something isn't clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benoit Larose
Canada
Montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops I meant *not* better... whistle

But for stacking the full strength army is more efficient that's right.

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.