Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
Free P&P: app.box.com/naginata
badge
I have nothing to say
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone!

I designed 14 new races for Tiny Epic Kingdoms while the campaign was at KickStarter. Never shared them here, so now I'm doing it! Please take into account that those races have NOT been playtested. While I tried to make them balanced it is almost sure that I didn't succeeded in most of them.

This PDF file includes the information, NOT the images/cards, to play:
Bushmen
Demons
Dragons
Faeries
Gorgons
Harpies
Nymphs
Oozes
Sphinxes
Treefolks
Trolls
Vampires
Werewolves
Yetis

If you are downloading the file or playing these races, I would really appreciate the feeedback in order to improve and balance them. Please let me know if this is useful to you. If there is some interest generated, I will try to create the cards with the art ready to play.

Check and download here: https://app.box.com/s/xd34vxzm7d5xse3w2ax5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Papenfuss
United States
Star
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Your results are back: it's negative"......um, is that a bad thing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Mario,

Looks like interesting stuff.

For the Werewolves---it becomes NIGHT when the Action card is cleared. Does it ever become 'day' again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario López Menés
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I have nothing to say
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the idea is that the Day/Night state changes every time the 5th action is performed so the Action card is cleared. This could lead to too many changes, so I thought about doubling times using some tokens.

What I mean is having 2 Day and 2 Night tokens. The player starts the game with 2 Day tokens on their card, and each time the Action card is cleared, they remove 1 of them. When they remove their last token of a kind, they take the 2 tokens of the opposite kind. While they have tokens of a kind, they're in the state (Day/Night) represented by the markers.

This token mechanic is just trying to slow the changes on Werewolves, in order to leave more space for players to develop their strategies. I guess they could also be played in the "normal" way (changing every time the Action card is cleared), but I feel that it could lead to a messy game.

It's nice you consider it interesting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Robinson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Any chance on giving these fan creations some nice art?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario López Menés
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I have nothing to say
mbmbmbmbmb
Astrobot7000 wrote:
Any chance on giving these fan creations some nice art?

If someone is interested, I'd be glad of seeing it. No problems about licensing or so, this is free for anyone to try and improve them

We were thinking about doing it, but nowadays seems too complicated. We're both quite busy and this would be a very low priority. Lots of new designs are waiting to be illustrated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just connect with:

Chris Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

He has done some excellent PnP stuff for the Tiny Epic series already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Robinson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
So, I don't have the official faction template, and my digital manipulation skills are not very good, but I whipped these up regardless.

What do you think?

If you like them, I'll keep going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario López Menés
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I have nothing to say
mbmbmbmbmb
Astrobot7000 wrote:
If you like them, I'll keep going.

Man, just keep doing so! They're perfectly functional, I will playtest some of them with that aspect if you keep going.
If you could change the size of the font, I'd do it a bit bigger, to better seeing the magic levels on the cards. That's the only change I'd do regarding to usability.

Talking about the official faction template, I'm not sure about having received it. I just asked Michael Coe to see if he could re-send it to me, so I may work on this with you if I have some spare time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Robinson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Here you go, I made the font a bit bigger. But if I make it any bigger the power text will start running together.

Here's two more...

I wasn't able to enlarge the Werewolves text because there is just too much of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario López Menés
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I have nothing to say
mbmbmbmbmb
I like you work, and your changes in wording and so.
We'll print all of them when you finish with the ones you want to do, and we'll playtest them to make the necessary changes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Robinson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools

Are there any other ones you specifically want me to do? After the Yetis all of the other races seem to be extremely powerful. I'll make them if you want if you'll playtest them for balance. It's not a problem for me to make them. Once the template is done it only takes a few minutes to swap out a few images/text. The more balanced races the better I say. Just let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario López Menés
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I have nothing to say
mbmbmbmbmb
Astrobot7000 wrote:

Are there any other ones you specifically want me to do? After the Yetis all of the other races seem to be extremely powerful. I'll make them if you want if you'll playtest them for balance. It's not a problem for me to make them. Once the template is done it only takes a few minutes to swap out a few images/text. The more balanced races the better I say. Just let me know.

I'll start testing the ones that seem easier... but I may be able to playtest more, and make significant changes to them if needed. So if you could do them all, that would be great. I'd just print all your work and try to play them all along several gaming sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Robinson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Will do. I hope you can make them all balanced. Then compile them into a package and upload them in the files section
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Robinson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools

I changed this faction's name because I thought it would fit better within the fantasy realm, rather than a religious one. I can certainly change it back if you desire. Also, this particular faction seems unbelievably powerful. You might want to tone these guys down. I mean, everyone is brutally punished if they lose a War. That means other players cannot even team up against them. Just something to think about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario López Menés
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I have nothing to say
mbmbmbmbmb
Astrobot7000 wrote:

I changed this faction's name because I thought it would fit better within the fantasy realm, rather than a religious one. I can certainly change it back if you desire. Also, this particular faction seems unbelievably powerful. You might want to tone these guys down. I mean, everyone is brutally punished if they lose a War. That means other players cannot even team up against them. Just something to think about.

All your thoughts are quite logical, including the changes you've made.
The adjustments on the Shades are quite obvious, yep. They'll prolly change every "each" for a "other", affecting just one opponent instead of all of them. This, combined with the impossibility of paying little resources when the game advances, may be enough to balance them in order to start playtesting seriously.

I'll keep you all informed while the testing advances. This will take a long time, I guess, but I hope we can finally get some well-balanced races to play with. I will obviously credit you in the final thing.

Thanks a lot for your work, man!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Robinson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
No problem! Happy to help. Here's the final two:

Good luck on the play testing and keep us informed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Robinson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
So, did you ever work on balancing these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario López Menés
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I have nothing to say
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I tested some of them and they worked pretty well. A bit of twisting and it was OK. Anyway, I tested the ones that seemed easier to balance, and never had time for the more complicated ones.

I'll now wait to see the official races of TEK HC, and then I'll maybe continue testing, as I have some spare time in summer. Let's see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.