Subject: What's the best Convention? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: convention [+] [View All]
Grant
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in deep enough to want to attend one of these. I've been to a couple cheeky ones around LAX, but I'm assuming that they aren't really a good representation of what a con can be.
Assuming transportation is no object, what cons are the must-attends based on the following criteria?:
1.) Publisher involvement
2.) Designer attendance
3.) Healthy flea-market
4.) Good gaming

Thanks for your help!
Grant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
Montara
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
KublaCon. Memorial Day weekend (last weekend in May), Burlingame CA.
Lotsa, lotsa fun. I've gone the last 4 years and wouldn't miss it for anything.
--mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Tersago
Belgium
Sint Truiden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'Spiel' at Essen has it all. (You said transportation is no issue ).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
ulyssus wrote:
Assuming transportation is no object, what cons are the must-attends based on the following criteria?:
1.) Publisher involvement
2.) Designer attendance
3.) Healthy flea-market
4.) Good gaming

Wow, that's a tall order. I can think of cons with designer attendance (though usually just some guy who produced Killer Aliens on Mulberry Street or some RPG) and I can think of publisher-attended cons and even those with flea markets. But outside Essen, I can't think of any with all those. And then there's the good gaming portion--I haven't been to Essen, but everything I've read says that you don't go for the gaming and it certainly ain't organized by the con. So that eliminated all conventions except for private, invite-only cons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Trimmer
United States
Houston
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The World Boardgaming Championships.

Plenty of designers, just not those of the Eurogame pedigree (makes sense with the con in the USA).

Plenty of publishers.

Plenty of games for sale with an auction and used game marketplace at the con start, vendors of new stuff over the weekend.

Great games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
Gen Con hasn't dissapointed me yet, and it is the biggest in North America. I would really like to make it to Essen sometime, but I don't know if that is in the cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas McCorry
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Life is a Journey, Not a Destination
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming boardgaming is your focus (not RPGs or CCGs), then I suggest (attendance is estimate of actual boardgamers, not the total attendance):

1) Essen (Mid-October, ~125,000 boardgamers) - Designers, Publishers, lots of new releases, lots of game demos, very little in the way of tournaments, lots of used game vendors

2) World Boardgaming Championships (Begining of August, ~1300 boardgamers) - Major Publishers (Rio Grande, Mayfair, Days of Wonder, Z-Man, Cafe Games, most wargame publishers), some designers, open gaming, lots of tournaments, decent auction

3) Origins (End of June, ~800 boardgamers) - Deigners, Publishers, CABS War and Board Game Rooms, so-so auction

4) KublaCon (End of May, ~500 boardgamers)

5) PrezCon (Mid February, ~500 boardgamers)

GenCon Indy (Mid-August) is the largest US game event so you get lots of publishers and designers but the boardgaming is pretty week in comparison to those listed above. Can't beat it however if RPGs and CCGs are also in your gaming preferences.

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Essen, then WBC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
tmccorry wrote:

GenCon Indy (Mid-August) is the largest US game event so you get lots of publishers and designers but the boardgaming is pretty week in comparison to those listed above. Can't beat it however if RPGs and CCGs are also in your gaming preferences.

I have always found my fair share of boardgaming at Gen Con. Between Mayfair, Rio Grande, Slugfest and Fantasy Flight Games, I didn't get to demo even half of what I wanted to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.