Eclipse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Quick (probably easy) beginner question regarding energy sources rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hybrid Theory
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hey there!

I was trying this game out for the first time last night and I quickly came upon a question that I couldn't clearly see in the rules.

What does an energy source do? My thought was that you're supposed to look at the source, say 3. than look at the energy cost and substract this from your action.

IS this how it works?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hybrid Theory wrote:
Hey there!

I was trying this game out for the first time last night and I quickly came upon a question that I couldn't clearly see in the rules.

What does an energy source do? My thought was that you're supposed to look at the source, say 3. than look at the energy cost and substract this from your action.

IS this how it works?

Thanks!

Are you referring to say a fusion source?

If so, this powers the ship that the source is added to. You are now able to add larger engines, more powerful weapons and computers that require the additional power to 'function'. Look at the energy bolt symbols on your ships' engines, weapons and computers. You cannot have more symbols than the power source on the ship supplies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

if your are talking about the energy sources from the ships, it is quite simple:

You are not allowed to construct a ship that needs more energy than the source can supply. You must allways have enought power to supply all installed system.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hybrid Theory
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Thanks guys! This is really helpful

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSealion wrote:
You are not allowed to construct a ship that needs more energy than the source can supply. You must allways have enought power to supply all installed system.

For example:

Your basic cruiser starts with a Nuclear Source (provides 3 energy), an Ion Cannon (takes 1 energy) and a Nuclear Drive (takes 1 energy). You have 3 energy from your energy source, and the stuff on your ship takes only 2 energy, so you are ok.

Later in the game, you research Plasma Cannons. You upgrade your cruiser to replace your Ion Cannon with a Plasma Cannon. You now have a Nuclear Source (provides 3 energy) a Plasma Cannon (takes 2 energy) and a Nuclear Drive (takes 1 energy), so you are ok. You then research a Fusion Drive (speed 2, takes 2 energy) and want to put it on your cruiser, but if you put a Fusion Drive (2 energy) and the Plasma Cannon (2 energy) on the cruiser, you now need more energy (4) than your Nuclear Source provides (3). So you can't do that. You could take out the Plasma Cannon, leaving the basic Ion Cannon and then replace the Nuclear Drive with a Fusion Drive (again, 3 power). Or you could put a second Nuclear Source in the cruiser (say, replacing a Hull). Or you could wait and research the Fusion Source (providing 6 power) to replace the Nuclear Source. Or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hybrid Theory
Netherlands
flag msg tools
bakija wrote:
TheSealion wrote:

For example:

Your basic cruiser starts with a Nuclear Source (provides 3 energy), an Ion Cannon (takes 1 energy) and a Nuclear Drive (takes 1 energy). You have 3 energy from your energy source, and the stuff on your ship takes only 2 energy, so you are ok.

Later in the game, you research Plasma Cannons. You upgrade your cruiser to replace your Ion Cannon with a Plasma Cannon. You now have a Nuclear Source (provides 3 energy) a Plasma Cannon (takes 2 energy) and a Nuclear Drive (takes 1 energy), so you are ok. You then research a Fusion Drive (speed 2, takes 2 energy) and want to put it on your cruiser, but if you put a Fusion Drive (2 energy) and the Plasma Cannon (2 energy) on the cruiser, you now need more energy (4) than your Nuclear Source provides (3). So you can't do that. You could take out the Plasma Cannon, leaving the basic Ion Cannon and then replace the Nuclear Drive with a Fusion Drive (again, 3 power). Or you could put a second Nuclear Source in the cruiser (say, replacing a Hull). Or you could wait and research the Fusion Source (providing 6 power) to replace the Nuclear Source. Or whatever.

That's really helpful, thanks for taking the time and explaining it so clearly!

Thanks for your time guys! you have been really helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.