Popular Tags: [View All]
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure this has been addressed somewhere already, but I am struggling to find an answer among the 64 pages here! I am wondering if you could play ASL scenarios using just the SK rules? I am guessing it may impact the balance of some scenarios, but it seems like it would work. I know it may be anathema to ASL diehards to do this, but does it work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell D
United Kingdom
Ewell
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You would have to find scenarios that only included things covered by the SK rules. The biggest difficult might be the terrain: most of the map boards include terrain that is not included in Starter Kit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
angelgabriel wrote:
You would have to find scenarios that only included things covered by the SK rules. The biggest difficult might be the terrain: most of the map boards include terrain that is not included in Starter Kit.

So you could fix this by simply buying the ASL Rulebook and supplementing terrain info where necessary?

Thanks for the feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
Balance would usually be effected, but that's probably not a concern. A major difference is the impact of concealment, which usually favours the defender. Another issue is that of buildings with multiple levels, and the building control consequences, if building control is a scenario objective.

All in all, I think you should feel free to experiment and play whichever way works best for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eoin Corrigan wrote:
Balance would usually be effected, but that's probably not a concern. A major difference is the impact of concealment, which usually favours the defender. Another issue is that of buildings with multiple levels, and the building control consequences, if building control is a scenario objective.

All in all, I think you should feel free to experiment and play whichever way works best for you.

Thanks, that is helpful. I do think I will eventually go full ASL, but it is nice to know that my investment in ASL modules won't be a total loss should I not make it all the way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atsgamer wrote:
angelgabriel wrote:

So you could fix this by simply buying the ASL Rulebook and supplementing terrain info where necessary?

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes. And you could read the section on building levels and incorporate it (however, you may need to understand the concept of "location" within a hex in order to implement it). And you could buy Beyond Valor for the "level" counters and concealment counters and add the concealment rules as well.

To eliminate most of the rest of the balance issues, you would also want to read and use the Bypass Movement rules as well.

Those few additional rules sections would make playing almost any ASL scenario with so-supplemented ASLSK rules a fairly balanced affair.

After that, you could simply add sections that look cool. For example: Firelanes (which I don't remember if SK has or not), or Dash Movement or any of a host of other short rules sections until you have pretty much the whole enchilada grocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet! Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kaufman
United States
Rosemead
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about the answer to your questions, but I'm going the other way, which may interest you. I have some Schwerpunkt scenarios designed to play with both full or SK rules. I'm using them to layer in some of the rules not in SK to learn them. You don't have to worry about multi-story buildings and major LOS issues, so it's a good way to dip into Concealment, Fire Lanes, Snipers, Bypass, Heroes, etc. - all of which are fairly straightforward if you can tackle complicated rules like Vehicles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Rigillo
Italy
Roma
Rm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for opening this thread, A. T.!
This is a question I was thinking about for the same reason: a lot of ASL stuff not sure to be ever able to use!
IMHO adding just some rules could work defenitely well

....though stepping in full ASL is simpler than it appear!

EDIT: or better: than others want it to appear!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, don't be afraid to try mixing the rules. Of course, you won't be playing neither pure SK neither full ASL, so your opponents should be aware of that. And of course, scenario balance will be lost. But you can play many fun situations with the full ASL scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marticabre wrote:
Yes, don't be afraid to try mixing the rules. Of course, you won't be playing neither pure SK neither full ASL, so your opponents should be aware of that. And of course, scenario balance will be lost. But you can play many fun situations with the full ASL scenarios.

My most frequent opponent is unconcerned about balance issues...I play mostly solo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. van H.
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As kaufmad says, Sherry Enterprises has two scenario packs, Rally Point 2 and Rally Point 6, that each have 10 scenarios that can be played with both ASLSK and full ASL rules. These are great as stepping stones from SK to ASL: they use only the boards that come with the SK modules (p-z I believe), so they do not use many different (or difficult) terrain types: e.g., Buildings and Hills are all level 1. I'm now playing these scenarios with full ASL rules (about 4 or 5 of them are Infantry only, and I've started with those), and the 'easy' terrain means you can focus on the really important stuff: Concealment, Bypass, etc. Highly recommended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.